Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:11 PM

77 posts, read 293,977 times

Advertisements

Okay, So tomorrow they're calling for about 5 inches in Maryland and the Greater DC/ Baltimore area. I do not understand why people freak out over this! I grew up in Upstate New York (near Buffalo & Rochester). That would be nothing up there, just another winter snowfall. I'm really astounded that the night before schools down here close without even seeing what may or may not come, especially since this storm isn't predicted to really come down until after 3pm, after school is out. In general this pseudo-panic that erupts in this area over any accumulation is ridiculous. Just don't drive, don't go out in it and leave the driving to those who can handle the weather. In New York we drive the speed limit or over in weather like what is predicted! And I still do, so it really frustrates me when I get behind people crawling needlessly on the roads. The number one thing to remember is don't be afraid of the weather or it will get the best of you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:50 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,092 times
I've lived in New York (City) as well, but keep in mind that the area here is less accustomed to snow and we have less materials to clear up the roads. Now, I understand why it would seem ridiculous if people freak out over 1 or 2 inches, but half a foot is definitely reasonable for this area.

Also, the "stormy" part will start at about noon-ish. Where'd you get 3pm from?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:29 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,141 times
Quote:
I do not understand why people freak out over this!
+/- 10,000,000 people from all over the world commuting to work and hundreds of schools in an area that does not get much snow. There is no comparison.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:41 AM

77 posts, read 293,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
the area here is less accustomed to snow and we have less materials to clear up the roads. Now, I understand why it would seem ridiculous if people freak out over 1 or 2 inches, but half a foot is definitely reasonable for this area.
Less materials... snow isn't a new thing that just started falling from the sky in the past couple of years. Obviously our governments haven;t invested in the proper equipment as they should. Like anything in life you adjust to change, so if one gets snow more frequently each year or so then logic would have that one would acquire the needed equipment to remove said snow. Seems like a no brainer.

Also, the "stormy" part will start at about noon-ish. Where'd you get 3pm from?[/quote]

Out here in Western Maryland (where we're supposed to get more than the DC urban area), the forecast is predicted to not pickup to full force until the afternoon, around 3pm.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,083,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonJeep View Post
Less materials... snow isn't a new thing that just started falling from the sky in the past couple of years. Obviously our governments haven;t invested in the proper equipment as they should. Like anything in life you adjust to change, so if one gets snow more frequently each year or so then logic would have that one would acquire the needed equipment to remove said snow. Seems like a no brainer.

Out here in Western Maryland (where we're supposed to get more than the DC urban area), the forecast is predicted to not pickup to full force until the afternoon, around 3pm.[/quote]

This is the biggest predicted snowfall in about 3 years. You think local gov't should invest in equipment that is only needed once or twice every few years? Isn't it more efficient to just close down for a day and let mother nature run its course?

There are also a lot of transplants in this area that came here from further south. If you think this area freaks over snow you need to go down to tidewater VA and see how they react!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,229,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I've lived in New York (City) as well, but keep in mind that the area here is less accustomed to snow and we have less materials to clear up the roads. Now, I understand why it would seem ridiculous if people freak out over 1 or 2 inches, but half a foot is definitely reasonable for this area.

Yeah, I lived in Minneapolis for ten years, in Maine for three, and Boston for one...all of the "freaking out" and closings are rather silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Out here in Western Maryland (where we're supposed to get more than the DC urban area), the forecast is predicted to not pickup to full force until the afternoon, around 3pm.

This is the biggest predicted snowfall in about 3 years. You think local gov't should invest in equipment that is only needed once or twice every few years? Isn't it more efficient to just close down for a day and let mother nature run its course?

There are also a lot of transplants in this area that came here from further south. If you think this area freaks over snow you need to go down to tidewater VA and see how they react!
I remember pictures of George Washington crossing an icy snow-covered Delaware from grade school. Was that all bs? The "DMV" gets snow every year. DC averages 15 inches and Baltimore is something like 20 inches. While that is not really a significant amount over the course of an entire winter, it is still a large enough amount to warrant preparation. If the plows, personnel, and salt/sand never get used, then that is that much less that needs to be budgeted for next winter as what was unused can just carry over.

Despite Maryland's proximity to the Atlantic, "Snowmaggeden" has the opportunity to occur every year considering the amount that falls just to the west and north...but the likelihood of that is rare.

It is not the 1700s anymore; businesses, stores, Government, etc. shutting down is disruptive and dangerous. Life does not get put on hold simply because some snow falls.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:36 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,007 times
I thought after the back to back blizzards in February 2010 that every subsequent snowfall would be a breeze for Marylanders. Yet sure enough, the next time there was a few inches of snow, it was back to mass chaos again.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Yeah, but I have known too many "tough guys and gals" from Western Maryland that can drive through a foot of snow, but start cowering with their head between their legs (literally!) when confronted with the "horror" that is metro Harrisburg traffic to boast up snow belt drivers. Don't even mention the Beltway, it might as well be the Yungas Road in Bolivia based on the danger assumed to exist for those brave enough to venture onto its asphalt.

So, it is sort of about what you are used to.

Last edited by westsideboy; 01-21-2014 at 11:56 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 02:05 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,470 times
-It's an area that doesn't consistently see a lot of heavy snow (the word "heavy" is largely subjective)

-Due to its location and geography, when "they" say it'll snow, you're not sure how much, if it'll just end up being rain or something else, or nothing at all

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM

581 posts, read 968,481 times
Snow in the NE is a regular winter occurrence. MD's snow is nowhere near as frequent or heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland