Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 PM

794 posts, read 818,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You chose the wrong sign. That one is on 95 right? There's a similar one on 270. The problem on that side is that there are 4 exits prior to it becoming a toll road, and it is numbered 370. The only sign that you are now on MD 200 from 370 is a yellow "last exit before toll" sign on the bottom of the 4th exit sign, as well as on the sign about a mile before that exit. It's easy to overlook those signs. They should not be overlooking them, but they're not first, or the last, drivers to make that mistake. Surely, MD can put a better sign up, can't they?
I know the area well, and I am familiar with the 370 side. On the 270 exits (SB and NB) to 370, that put you on 370 EB towards 200, the signs are large and numerous. As you noted, there is a "last exit before toll" sign as well, near the last exit.

How much hand holding do people need to function? Unless you're distracted or high, they are hard to miss.

Imo, people need to lay off the meds and the devices, and quit thinking that unless the world is spoon fed to them via the state with massive block letters, they have perfect justification to be non functional morons.

Personal responsibility, and pay attention to your driving and surroundings. That's all that's needed when there are already signs clearly directing traffic. Also, if one doesn't speak English and drives on roads where the signs are in English, that's their problem, not the state's or mine (or yours).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
I know the area well, and I am familiar with the 370 side. On the 270 exits (SB and NB) to 370, that put you on 370 EB towards 200, the signs are large and numerous. As you noted, there is a "last exit before toll" sign as well, near the last exit.

How much hand holding do people need to function? Unless you're distracted or high, they are hard to miss.

Imo, people need to lay off the meds and the devices, and quit thinking that unless the world is spoon fed to them via the state with massive block letters, they have perfect justification to be non functional morons.

Personal responsibility, and pay attention to your driving and surroundings. That's all that's needed when there are already signs clearly directing traffic. Also, if one doesn't speak English and drives on roads where the signs are in English, that's their problem, not the state's or mine (or yours).
The signs on the 370 side are on 270 north and south, and on Sam Eig Highway (370 west of 270). I do not recall there being any other signs, other than the "last exit before toll" signs mentioned, east of 270 on 370. That said, I agree a little about "hand holding" comment. The two "last exit before toll" signs should be more than enough. I do understand, however, that having 200 end and become 370 the way it does, without a clear demarcation, can be slightly confusing. Md should either dump the designation 370, or dump 200 and name it one or the other. This will lessen the confusion slightly. An even better idea is a larger, more clear sign that beyond the Metro station exit the road is tolled. They could do that without changing the 370/200designation, but I think they should do both. That's my suggestion, but I do also think that what exists should be enough if you're paying attention.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
I got 'caught' back not long after the ICC opened. I went down the ramp from Shady Grove (headed westbound) to what I thought was I-370 only to find that it was now the ICC and (as I found later) to get to I-370 you now had to make a left off of Shady Grove and loop down under to get to 370. It was my fault I was going on muscle memory (it had been a couple months since I had been down there) but it was not real well marked back then and it took a long time before I could get off of the ICC

But back to the maqin point the OP was concerned about - Once he called the 'Toll Police' reduced his bill to just the toll and I think he was pretty happy with the result

Old 03-06-2014, 10:53 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
The NO CASH sign is posted on I-370 before and after the MD 355 exit. There is also a sign that says I-370 ends at TOLL MD 200.

Last edited by Phyxius; 03-06-2014 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 11:13 AM

794 posts, read 818,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The signs on the 370 side are on 270 north and south, and on Sam Eig Highway (370 west of 270). I do not recall there being any other signs, other than the "last exit before toll" signs mentioned, east of 270 on 370.
That's what I noted..
Quote:
On the 270 exits (SB and NB) to 370, that put you on 370 EB towards 200, the signs are large and numerous. As you noted, there is a "last exit before toll" sign as well, near the last exit.
I believe there are also large signs on the secondary roads entering 370 (EB of 270) towards the ICC, but I am not sure. I'll check next time I am in the area on jobs and try to get pics if so

Quote:
That said, I agree a little about "hand holding" comment. The two "last exit before toll" signs should be more than enough. I do understand, however, that having 200 end and become 370 the way it does, without a clear demarcation, can be slightly confusing. Md should either dump the designation 370, or dump 200 and name it one or the other. This will lessen the confusion slightly. An even better idea is a larger, more clear sign that beyond the Metro station exit the road is tolled. They could do that without changing the 370/200designation, but I think they should do both. That's my suggestion, but I do also think that what exists should be enough if you're paying attention.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:58 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,431 times
I can understand your problem with letter showing up late but your thinking or believing that ICC toll is not marked clearly is wrong. You must have been on phone that day - try to remember.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:23 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The NO CASH sign is posted on I-370 before and after the MD 355 exit. There is also a sign that says I-370 ends at TOLL MD 200.
Ah. Thank you. I haven't been going that way lately, so I'm relying on memory.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:33 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Spot on again notorious, thanks! Maybe it should also read VIDEO TOLL ROAD! YOU WILL RECEIVE A BILL IN THE MAIL! (sometime next year lol)
There is a toll road in the Raleigh/Durham area in NC that has a sign like this:

I do have to agree with the consensus that in most places I've seen, the signs at least indicating that the ICC is a toll road are pretty prominent. But people miss signs sometimes, it happens. It doesn't mean you were doing your hair or making a sandwich while driving. However, I could also understand people thinking that "NO CASH" meant you could pay with a credit card if you didn't have EZ Pass. And as you posted, if they actually sent you the bill on time it wouldn't have been an issue from the beginning (but glad to see it worked out in the end).

Old 03-08-2014, 07:06 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
There is a toll road in the Raleigh/Durham area in NC that has a sign like this:

I do have to agree with the consensus that in most places I've seen, the signs at least indicating that the ICC is a toll road are pretty prominent. But people miss signs sometimes, it happens. It doesn't mean you were doing your hair or making a sandwich while driving. However, I could also understand people thinking that "NO CASH" meant you could pay with a credit card if you didn't have EZ Pass. And as you posted, if they actually sent you the bill on time it wouldn't have been an issue from the beginning (but glad to see it worked out in the end).
Just saw that sign tonight, we're in Durham for the weekend working. We were on our way to MEZ. That's a perfect sign.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
I find that sign more confusing. Why the sign tells you it will go to 147 when its already listed with the cardinal direction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland