Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2007, 03:38 PM

19 posts, read 82,108 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me some information about the local reputation of Erickson Retirement Communities? I live in Matthews, NC, a small bedroom community, which is southeast of Charlotte, NC. On 8/27/2007, our town council voted to approve a zoning change which will allow Erickson, a Catonsville, MD-based retirement home developer, to build an 1,100 unit retirement campus on what was formerly farm land that had been zoned residential (two homes per acre). This area is still somewhat rural (although its very close to Charlotte), so having a development this massive only a few yards from our neighborhood will be quite a change. I'm wondering how Erickson has treated their "neighbors" in other towns/cities. Any info. will be greatly appreciated-I'm hoping its positive.

P.S. I used to live in MD-graduated from Randallstown Sr. High in '80. I hear everything has GREATLY changed.

Last edited by ellbee; 08-30-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: weird spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 PM

415 posts, read 1,960,622 times
The properties are extremely nice. The residents are cared for exceptionally well, and they normally have their own EMS service so it isn't an impact on the local emergency service. The properties themselves are well maintained, and landscaped to blend in as much as possible.
I really don't think it would be a bad thing to have around there. They can be a bit on the expensive side, but it's most likely MUCH better than any retirement / nursing community already there.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsgoof View Post
The properties are extremely nice. The residents are cared for exceptionally well, and they normally have their own EMS service so it isn't an impact on the local emergency service. The properties themselves are well maintained, and landscaped to blend in as much as possible.
I really don't think it would be a bad thing to have around there. They can be a bit on the expensive side, but it's most likely MUCH better than any retirement / nursing community already there.
Thanks so much for your information. This makes me feel much better!

Old 08-31-2007, 01:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times
Hahahahhahahahaha....I have a female friend that works for them. They are great organization and the people do a real good job caring for the residents. She hasn't said one bad thing about the place...not one.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Thanks for the great news! I'll let my neighbor know about this-she's a nurse who works in an assisted living facility. Erickson will literally be less than five minutes away from our neighborhood-less commute time, less gas.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:14 AM

78 posts, read 404,315 times
I live a few blocks from Charlestown retirement community(Erickson). My daughter worked there for 2-3 years and received a $4,000 scholarship to college. Not for brains but for being a good worker. Their facility is top notch. I have tried for years to get my parents into it. They refuse. Their choice but a poor one I might add. The community really has a lot to offer older people. Their grounds are impeccable. Great neighbors.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:46 AM

I really appreciate your thoughts, and the info. about your daughter. This retirement facility is sounding better and better. Maybe my sons can get a job there when the time comes.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,794 times
My mother is in the one in Tinton Falls NJ. They are beautiful but i am told the food is questionable and they raise the "rent" every year. If you get a cola for Social Security, they will raise your rent to relieve you of the SS increase.

Beautiful place though but you need bucks...

Old 03-28-2014, 10:59 AM

117 posts, read 270,545 times
My mother-in-law moved from Long Island to the Charlestown Erickson community after her husband died in 1994. She had resisted while he was alive as they couldn't imagine apartment living after living in their own home for 50 years. But the reality of being so close to her son and our family won out. She chose a 2 BR, 2 BA end unit which was pretty spacious for her at 1200 sq. ft. It took a while but she did come to love her new home, made many new friends, started a ladies billiards club and even went on their closed circuit TV program to demonstrate how to cook a family favorite. She was there for 15 years and, as her health failed, she was able to be hospitalized for various falls, then tranfer to their onsite short term rehab and then back to her apartment. We are convinced she would never have lasted 15 years if she hadn't come to Charlestown. They are a large employer in Catonsville and their young employees can receive college scholarships. The grounds are immaculately kept and the entire complex is very safe. I think your community would greatly benefit from an Erickson presence.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
A friend of mine used to work for Erickson until he got laid off due to the economic downturn. And yet, he still will not say anything bad about them, and speaks well of his experience there. To me, that says a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland