Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:26 PM

274 posts, read 678,484 times

Advertisements

There's a super cute house on Clay street. Newly remodeled, etc. But, it's Clay St. Is it really that bad? We are a relatively young, lily white couple looking to buy our first home. I don't mind diversity, but I do mind crime. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 02:51 PM

153 posts, read 319,167 times
I suggest you spend a few hours in the area during the day and during the night. I've been there and personally I wouldn't buy a house near the west st. area between rt 2 and downtown annapolis. For me there is an unsavory element that is around near the state circle and along the west st area. But that is my opinion.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:57 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaponies View Post
I suggest you spend a few hours in the area during the day and during the night. I've been there and personally I wouldn't buy a house near the west st. area between rt 2 and downtown annapolis. For me there is an unsavory element that is around near the state circle and along the west st area. But that is my opinion.

That's also the opinion of the Annapolis Police Department.
City of Annapolis Crime Reporting and Statistics Website - Map

http://spotcrime.com/md/annapolis

Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM

I appreciate the info. Noted.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:41 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Crime map doesn't look too bad to me. There will always be more crime along commercial corridors. Downtown has far more crime than any other part of Annapolis and it's probably the nicest part of the city.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Crime map doesn't look too bad to me. There will always be more crime along commercial corridors. Downtown has far more crime than any other part of Annapolis and it's probably the nicest part of the city.

She's not talking Downtown, she's talking West St. Have you ever driven on it with your eyes open, especially after dark?

I crack up when you guys talk "well, it doesn't look too bad". You're right, if you ignore the junkies (many from where I live) looking to fix, the prostitutes coming up to cars at stoplights, the random smash and grab auto break-ins, the random home invasions, the not rare assaults and armed robberies and the occasional shootings. Yep, a real garden spot if you ignore that.

There are way better areas in Annapolis, and Anne Arundel, to live.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:22 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
I was saying that downtown has more crime yet is nicer than the West St corridor and most of crime along West is related to the commercial businesses there such as shoplifting etc.

I'm quite familiar with West Street and while it's somewhat sketchy compared to most suburban areas or the more affluent parts of Annapolis, I have never thought of it as a bad area or been intimidated by it. I'm just saying it's not ghetto. Just a bit run down and somewhat light industrial or 1970s suburban blight although it seems to be actually getting better in some areas.

Hardly anything in Annapolis comes across as being urban ghetto that should be avoided, but it's all relative I guess and it depends on what you are used to or what you can tolerate.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 PM

I checked the Police Map too and it didn't seem "that bad." I didn't see much that I'm not used to after living in north Bmore for a year. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone living on Clay St or know someone who has lived there. I don't mind a bit run down but I mind danger/sketch.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:09 PM

153 posts, read 319,167 times
I'm familiar with the area as I've lived nearby for several years. I've walked on West St from Rt 50 to the dock and for me I found it sketchy at times, especially at night. Clay street is several blocks from west st and the State House. I've seen several vagrants there over the years. That is my observation.

As I mentioned earlier, you may want to drive by and see the area at night for a few hours.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:26 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,456 times
Clay Street is home to several low income housing projects. The city just demolished a huge public housing development off of clay street called College Creek Terrace. The area has since been redeveloped into a mixed use community with several section 8 tenants Public housing changes transform Clay Street - Baltimore Sun. The neighborhood has always been troubled but it seems the city is trying to fix it up. I know several people who go to Clay Street to purchase there drugs Annapolis Police Raid 2 Homes Near Clay Street - Police & Fire - Annapolis, Maryland | Patch . A gang of kids recently robbed a man in downtown on nearby Franklin Street. The kids are from Clay Street. The Baltimore Sun . I'm not bashing the neighborhood but you can't ignore the fact that this neighborhood has had problems in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland