Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 11:14 PM

14 posts, read 31,969 times

Advertisements

So, does anyone have any info on total over all cost of buying and living in a home in Ocean Pines ( Berlin) MD vs say Lewes, Ocean View, Bethany Beach DE? From what I have seen houses seem cheaper in Ocean Pines but property taxes are higher. However, HOA fees in a lot of housing developments in DE beach areas are a lot higher and they have a school tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
I bought in the Ocean Pines back lot a couple years ago. Property taxes in Worcester are pretty reasonable. Yes, they are more expensive then in DE but cheaper then the rest of MD. There are no city taxes like in Berlin proper but this year the HOA was about 900 for the back lot section. Waterfront and golf course lots are more. I just think of the HOA here as city taxes because Ocean Pines is really it's own town and doesn't even seem like part of Berlin. It has all the services of a town including it's own police and 2 fire departments which the HOA covers. Water and trash is separate though. My water runs about $200 every 3 months and trash is a one time a year bill of about the same---I can't remember off hand exactly. If you like to use the pools they are extra as well, like the golf course. Overall, it's not too expensive to live here, especially compared to the rest of MD.

Someone else would have to chime in on DE.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:55 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Also remember that if you're retired MD taxes retired pay/pensions. DE does not.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the info! Yes, I do love OP and the beach areas of DE. I was just checking to see if it was kind a wash between the two in some ways. Plus, I guess you have to take in consideration the services yo get like fire police etc ... Don't people in DE have to use the sate police for local matters? Anyway, both are nice. The only thing i did see is that some houses are to close.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Police services vary. Most MD Counties outside incorporated Town (and even many of them don't have their own police department) use either the County Sheriff/Police or MD State Police for law enforcement.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggerbone View Post
Thanks for the info! Yes, I do love OP and the beach areas of DE. I was just checking to see if it was kind a wash between the two in some ways. Plus, I guess you have to take in consideration the services yo get like fire police etc ... Don't people in DE have to use the sate police for local matters? Anyway, both are nice. The only thing i did see is that some houses are to close.
Yea, some houses are pretty close together in there.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 PM

Yea, as long as you could find a home where the other is not right on top of you it would be nice. I seen some on line that seemed to be not that close, but with noise and all that could drive you nuts Its the same in DE but some places where very open. The only thing is DE does have lower Taxes but OP looks like it has it all for things to do. I have seen some HOE Condo fees in DE that where aover $2000 WTF ??? LOL That's nuts!! Anyway, I will be down that way if a about 5 to 8 years.

john

Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Ii never really understood the attraction of Ocean Pines until i drove through and really checked it out. Very cool neighborhood with honest, modest homes unlike the McMansions that you tend to see near the beach. But with that said Lewis is a REAL town with real stuff, unlike OP, and that would hold more interest for me. Still I can see the benefits of either.. The income tax benefits of DE over MD are certainly worth looking into.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:53 PM

I agree both are nice ,Ocean-view looks kind of cool too. The Lewes area is nice! But OP has everything in it as long as you can get a house that is not right on top of another. I hope one day people in MD wake up and throw out all the tax hungry DEMS, and get a Governor in who will lower taxes. Up here on the western side its getting like a ghetto in a lot of parts.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:46 AM

16 posts, read 40,937 times
Hi, I am looking to move my Park Model Home in either Lewes or Bethany Beach. What are the best parks that accept Park Models, and what are the parks like as far as quiet and safety?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland