Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:48 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,353 times

Advertisements

Hi, Folks! Nice to "meet" you.

I'm doing the searching for my brother and I. He, his wife, and I are considering a semi-retirement move to Northern MD. I'm a PA part-time teacher, but could do something else in the human services, non-profit industry. He's an independent financial services guy.

They like to be near the water for boating and fishing/crabbing and would probably like a nice lot for growing vegetables. I'm more interested in the culture of a place. I'm conservative but not at all (as one poster put it) "rednecky" I don't want to be near a lot of hunters or hunting areas; do want to be near some solid Protestant churches (Calvary Chapels, Baptists, etc). I ESPECIALLY want to be in a canine-friendly area with exceptional Veterinary care.

I'm looking to downsize my 2000 sf, half-acre house in Kennett Square, PA for a cute bungalow or craftsman home on a smaller lot. I like a friendly area which is well-kept. Any thoughts on these areas? (someone told me not to include Perryville).

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 07:25 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
I'm looking to downsize my 2000 sf, half-acre house in Kennett Square, PA for a cute bungalow or craftsman home on a smaller lot. I like a friendly area which is well-kept. Any thoughts on these areas? (someone told me not to include Perryville).
I love the look of Havre de Grace, and there are some charming older houses. There is a very attractive waterfront, but I don't know if there is a public access boat launch. However, I don't have answers to the rest of your questions. I think your brother can find something suitable.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 AM

Thanks so much, goldenage! Asking about the "vibe" of a place is a tough request, I know - but it's so important to me.

When I moved into this pretty neighborhood in Kennett Square 2 and a half years ago (an area of "transplants" like myself from other counties in PA and DE), I didn't realize that I had moved into Stepfordville. A single lady with 3 well-behaved and fenced canines made absolutely NO impression on the younger yuppie set with children, regardless of my efforts to be friendly and engage in conversation. So while our small culdesac was enjoying pool parties and barbecues, I sat on my front step and wondered what I had done wrong. Came to find out that they were upset about my beautifully mannered Doberman, a breathtakingly gorgeous girl who is now crippled with Wobbler's Disease. Very strange place; can't wait to get out of here.

Thanks again!

Old 03-30-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much, goldenage! Asking about the "vibe" of a place is a tough request, I know - but it's so important to me.
I'd suggest staying in a couple of bed and breakfasts in the area, and talk to the owners about the people in town. All I can tell from the street views is that Charlestown looks unchanged since the 1930's. Perhaps an overlooked charmer, but perhaps populated by people not used to outsiders.

North East looks more developed for tourists. It had some cute shops, which suggests it is used to having visitors.

Regarding hunting, you can't escape the duck hunters and it is popular on the shores of the Bay. HdG has a Decoy Museum.

I believe you should also consider the tax picture. Delaware towns just over the border are much more retiree-friendly on taxes than Maryland is.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd suggest staying in a couple of bed and breakfasts in the area, and talk to the owners about the people in town. All I can tell from the street views is that Charlestown looks unchanged since the 1930's. Perhaps an overlooked charmer, but perhaps populated by people not used to outsiders.

North East looks more developed for tourists. It had some cute shops, which suggests it is used to having visitors.

Regarding hunting, you can't escape the duck hunters and it is popular on the shores of the Bay. HdG has a Decoy Museum.

I believe you should also consider the tax picture. Delaware towns just over the border are much more retiree-friendly on taxes than Maryland is.
Yes, I have looked in DE which is a mere 8 - 10 miles from where I live. Problem is: there is no "charm" factor in the areas that I can afford - the housing developments are so tired-looking and not well-maintained. And the never-ending crowds for shopping are blinding. Now the area from which our current Vice President hails (Greenville) is another story. But that's one of the highest housing prices in the country. I did notice that Northern Maryland is VERY reasonable concerning property taxes: they're about half of what I pay here, so that's a good thing. Not sure about state sales tax in MD. It's 6% here in PA.

Thanks for the North East/Charlestown comparison...interesting and important to know. Is there any reason why an acquaintance of mine suggested I not consider Perryville?

Lastly, I plan a taking a few day trips to several towns. They are all less than an hour or so from me now. I'm not able to do overnights, unfortunately, because I don't trust anyone to care for Luna, the Dobie, in her present state. Again: thanks so much!

Old 03-30-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Is there any reason why an acquaintance of mine suggested I not consider Perryville?
My contact with Perryville has been mostly limited to the Outlet Mall. The area nearby lacks charm. There is also a large trucking depot and a VA Hospital. But the crime stats are not bad, and people have said the schools are not bad. I would not automatically cross it off the list.

I would also suggest you look at Earleville, as the area crossing the Bohemia River at Route 219 is some of the prettiest country in Maryland.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-30-2014 at 09:09 AM..

Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
do want to be near some solid Protestant churches (Calvary Chapels, Baptists, etc).
Perhaps you could time your day-trip visits so you could attend a church service. There are often social hours where you could talk to the local people.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Perhaps you could time your day-trip visits so you could attend a church service. There are often social hours where you could talk to the local people.

Excellent idea! I was just about to check some of their websites.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:09 AM

35 posts, read 126,359 times
Soulserv I am also considering those same areas for a future semi-retirement move. Could you please post here after you check them out? Here's hoping some others who live in these towns will chime in, also.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 PM

108 posts, read 184,353 times
I can tell you HdG has 2 public boat ramps, but you have to pay to launch.

One is at Jean Roberts Park (Water Street and Union Avenue), the second is at Tydings Park Marina (300 Commerce Street).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland