Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:21 AM

274 posts, read 678,484 times

Advertisements

For people who commute to and from work and have to cross the Bay Bridge, is there an EZ Pass break so you don't have to pay the 6 bucks EACH and EVERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TIME? Seems unfair to the residents to travel for work. Just wondering.

Thanks,
eav123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:08 PM

109 posts, read 201,999 times
Yes..there is commuter plan
https://www.ezpassmd.com/en/about/plans.shtml

William Preston Lane, Jr. Memorial (Bay) Bridge Discount Plan: Pay $2.10 per trip for 25 trips that are valid for 45 days. The total cost for used and unused trips is $52.50.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:04 AM

503 posts, read 806,926 times
If anything, I think commuters should have to pay more since their living on the Eastern shore for the cheap housing is still dependent on the Western shore jobs and will be the cause of our needing a replacement bridge soon.

I don't see why I should be subsidizing your commute.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
If anything, I think commuters should have to pay more since their living on the Eastern shore for the cheap housing is still dependent on the Western shore jobs and will be the cause of our needing a replacement bridge soon.

Totally agree. Everyone should be charged/treated equally.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM

109 posts, read 201,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Totally agree. Everyone should be charged/treated equally.
Ya...Maryland Politics mindset! Yahooo! lol

Old 09-29-2013, 06:33 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:

He ALREADY pays more to live there, despite the cheaper housing. I don't know if you've noticed it or not but cars aren't exactly cheap these days. They're closing in on $30,000 for an average price now. He's probably replacing his car twice as often as you do simply because of a much longer commute. He also has to cross the bridge for medical care, real shopping and a whole host of other reasons.

Whether there is a better quality of living on the Eastern Shore is debatable. But that it is cheaper is just plainly false.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:07 AM

503 posts, read 806,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
He ALREADY pays more to live there, despite the cheaper housing. I don't know if you've noticed it or not but cars aren't exactly cheap these days. They're closing in on $30,000 for an average price now. He's probably replacing his car twice as often as you do simply because of a much longer commute. He also has to cross the bridge for medical care, real shopping and a whole host of other reasons.

Whether there is a better quality of living on the Eastern Shore is debatable. But that it is cheaper is just plainly false.
The difference being that I'm not subsidizing their car, shopping, medical care or a whole host of reasons. I am subsidizing their commute.

If someone wants to live over there and come to the economically viable part of the state to work, then let them do it on their own dime and not mine.

I contend that people who live on the Eastern shore and work on this side of the bridge should actually pay MORE than everyone else because they are the largest benefactors of the bridge and also the greatest cause of wear and tear.

I could care less if the bridge falls into the water or not. Would have no effect on my day to day life altogether. For those living on the Eastern shore that are largely dependent on that bridge, it's a different story.

Don't even try to act as if those over there are some sort of disadvantaged class of people.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,356 times
Quote:
The difference being that I'm not subsidizing their car, shopping, medical care or a whole host of reasons. I am subsidizing their commute.

If someone wants to live over there and come to the economically viable part of the state to work, then let them do it on their own dime and not mine.

I contend that people who live on the Eastern shore and work on this side of the bridge should actually pay MORE than everyone else because they are the largest benefactors of the bridge and also the greatest cause of wear and tear.

I could care less if the bridge falls into the water or not. Would have no effect on my day to day life altogether. For those living on the Eastern shore that are largely dependent on that bridge, it's a different story.

Don't even try to act as if those over there are some sort of disadvantaged class of people.
First, there are some basic misconceptions here to the stated "elementary"observations. The bay commuter IS paying more for the bridge that they use often, not less. And a taxpayer is not paying anything for subsidized bridge tolls for bay commuters. That doesn't make sense. There are a multitude of subsidy programs that do cost tax payers money. Bridge tolls are not one. When the Maryland transportation agency calculates bridge upkeep expenses they do many things. They calculate the average number of users annually for example. They then take that number and calculate where toll prices need to be for bridge funding and upkeep...apart from any other legislation or bills allocating money for the bridge. The price they come up with for tolls is not $6. It is closer to the $2-$3 range that bay commuters pay. They charge $6 because the vast majority of the bay bridge users only utilize the bridge once to a couple times a year. They make the toll higher because people are more likely to oay a higher price if they only use the bridge occassionally. So where bay commuters will oay somewhere around $500-$700 annually. An occasional user will only pay $6-$60 annually. That's a huge difference and a fair system. The commuters do pay significantly more for a bridge they use more.

Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy9 View Post
First, there are some basic misconceptions here to the stated "elementary"observations. The bay commuter IS paying more for the bridge that they use often, not less. And a taxpayer is not paying anything for subsidized bridge tolls for bay commuters. That doesn't make sense. There are a multitude of subsidy programs that do cost tax payers money. Bridge tolls are not one. When the Maryland transportation agency calculates bridge upkeep expenses they do many things. They calculate the average number of users annually for example. They then take that number and calculate where toll prices need to be for bridge funding and upkeep...apart from any other legislation or bills allocating money for the bridge. The price they come up with for tolls is not $6. It is closer to the $2-$3 range that bay commuters pay. They charge $6 because the vast majority of the bay bridge users only utilize the bridge once to a couple times a year. They make the toll higher because people are more likely to oay a higher price if they only use the bridge occassionally. So where bay commuters will oay somewhere around $500-$700 annually. An occasional user will only pay $6-$60 annually. That's a huge difference and a fair system. The commuters do pay significantly more for a bridge they use more.
You forgot to add the part where the toll increases of the last couple years are going not to the Bay Bridge facilities but to pay for the underutilized Inter-County Connector.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,880 times
There are also commuter plans for the Baltimore tunnels and for the tolls on I 95 north of Baltimore. If anyone is subsidizing commuters it would be the people from out of town or out of state that are just passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland