Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,721,598 times

Advertisements

It's been several years since I've been "down the ocean" but from what I am hearing and reading in the news things have been going downhill in the beach town. I keep hearing about an increase in crime and an abundance of "trashy" people. Is Ocean City still the family friendly resort town from the one I remember from just a decade ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:36 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,884,400 times
I go to OC once a week all summer for day trips and probably spend the night there once a month. I've been doing this for years. I only go during the week (not weekends) during summer so I don't know if my observations will be helpful or not. Anyway, I definitely don't stay on or near the boardwalk. Too much activity, noise, and rowdy kids. Also, I just don't like the quality of most of the hotels down there.

I might occasionally go to the boardwalk, but that's rare and I only go during the day. Not that I think it's that dangerous (although there have been a few issues in the wee morning hours), it's just that I'm not into crowds. I also don't like the actual beach near the Boardwalk.

I also wouldn't use the OC bus--at least during the night. Way overcrowded with drunks and undesirables.

Overall, I find Ocean City incredibly overpriced and, at best,mediocre in the way of hotels and restaurants.

If I were to plan a family trip to OC I would stay at either Francis Scott Key (they have activities on property for the kiddos, like pool (outdoor and a nice little indoor waterpark, and miniature golf) or camp at Frontiertown (waterpark with lazy river and slide, tot area, wild west shows, miniature golf, ice cream place, arcade) and then drive or take a shuttle to Assateague Island.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:28 PM

3,656 posts, read 4,789,026 times
Yes, Ocean City is still a safe, family resort. Yes, there have been a few issues lately making the news which disturbs me but they have been isolated instances later at night or early in the morning. But since you bring up the issues "family friendly" I'm going to assume you wouldn't place yourself in those circumstance.

One thing to remember is that OC turns into one of MD's largest city's during the summer so with the increased population (weekly, summertime, and weekend) comes an increased chance. Again, something most people with families aren't going to be part of as their probably not going to place themselves in those places late at night.

Another thing to point out is that any incident makes statewide news as well as news of neighboring localities.

I live here, on the west side at least and have absolutely no issues. I just avoid crossing the bridge into town as much as posible during the summer but do go on the boardwalk periodically. September starts my time to play.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,884,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
September starts my time to play.

Totally agree with this ^^^^^ I *love* Ocean City in the fall. Probably my favorite time to visit.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:33 AM

671 posts, read 1,541,435 times
Ocean City seems like its past its heyday. The attractions are mediocre, the shopping is subpar, and the hotels are dreary (much in line with what someone previously commented). The only true feature is the boardwalk, but that charm quickly fades out after you pass the fifth or so marijuana-toking discount shirt shop. You could say that they're 'all washed up'~~

Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,237,428 times
Trashy.

It costs the same to spend a week in South Florida, even with airfare. Much funner experience without the riff-raff.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:04 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,049,785 times
It used to be said that a week in Cancun, with airfare, was considered cheaper than a week in OC. I wonder if that's still true?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,237,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
It used to be said that a week in Cancun, with airfare, was considered cheaper than a week in OC. I wonder if that's still true?
No idea. But it would be good to know

Old 08-02-2013, 04:54 AM

16,137 posts, read 10,277,474 times
It's not that bad. Sure the boardwalk is full of ink on the body but it's perfectly safe and the motels are much less expensive than Rehobeth.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 AM

631 posts, read 1,390,318 times
OC is still a family town. Being that it is the largest City in MD during the summer, there will be increased crimes, but no murders, robberies, etc. Its your usual misdemeanors, underage drinking, and brawls. However, that happens at night when the clubs are open to 1-2 am. But if you are going with family, you wouldn't go there to begin with. The Boardwalk is no different than other Seaside tows. For Maryland, its good for what it is, a getaway and a place to take the kids. You have rides, water parks, and a beach... The OUtlets are pretty good. The restaurants are more pricier due to its location, but its pretty good.

If you want the Word Class Ocean Town, go to South Beach, Myrtle Beach, or Cancun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland