U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM

10,136 posts, read 12,109,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I wonder how many people who were surveyed and want to move have lived elsewhere or have always lived in MD. There is nothing wrong with the state. For those who feel it is too negative, fast-paced, etc. etc. , well, welcome to the Northeast. Though technically the DC/Baltimore area is in the Mid-Atlantic.

Those of you who complain and want to leave will get the same vibe in NoVa, NJ, NY, Mass, Conn, etc. All have dense populations with grouchy people and liberal leaning legislatures. Want to move out west? You'll get much of the same in CA and in the mid-west.

If you want a slower pace of life, then move to the deep south.
Clearly there are 47% of the people surveyed who disagree. Of course either side is a matter of opinion, but still, when you have that many people that have concerns, there has to be a concern as to what may make the state so unattractive. If people are just dismissive of other opinions without seeing any validity, then maybe that is the biggest problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 AM

32 posts, read 47,431 times
I keep hearing that people only stay because of the jobs. The highest percentage of the high paying jobs are in DC & VA. Would they feel the same if the lived there vs MD? Do they feel same about the entire region? If not, you can always rent your home/property until you can sale & move across the water if that's the case. Unless the vast majority of the folks polled live & work in MD, then folks shouldn't pay that much attention to it.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco757 View Post
I keep hearing that people only stay because of the jobs. The highest percentage of the high paying jobs are in DC & VA. Would they feel the same if the lived there vs MD? Do they feel same about the entire region? If not, you can always rent your home/property until you can sale & move across the water if that's the case. Unless the vast majority of the folks polled live & work in MD, then folks shouldn't pay that much attention to it.
It's really not that simple. There are a number of reasons why it's not. For one, some people do not want to be landlords. It's a lot of hard work involved in doing it and you are entrusting someone else to care for your property in a manner that you hope will not result in extra expenses. The risk of that is huge. Second, some people are in a position that if they rent their home out, they will lose money each month. Renting your property out doesn't always mean, you can rent it to pay for your whole mortgage or to make a profit by renting it out. Some people are stuck in their homes because their houses may have been overvalued at the time of purchase or the rental market does not return the amount that they spend with their mortgage. Also, you can consider that certain parts of MD (i.e. Prince George's, Charles Counties) are cheaper to live in than VA or even DC for that matter.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 AM

19,278 posts, read 21,086,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
This state doesn't even have moderate and reasonable Democrats in it anymore. It is far left extreme in every way.
So is pretty much every northeastern state - except for rural Pennsylvania, which is considered the Alabama of the northeast.

In the United States, almost every major city is either mostly Democrat or more Democrat-leaning than its surrounding rural areas.

That's why politics today is really a moot point if you live in major cities and metro areas. Who cares?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It's really not that simple. There are a number of reasons why it's not. For one, some people do not want to be landlords. It's a lot of hard work involved in doing it and you are entrusting someone else to care for your property in a manner that you hope will not result in extra expenses. The risk of that is huge. Second, some people are in a position that if they rent their home out, they will lose money each month. Renting your property out doesn't always mean, you can rent it to pay for your whole mortgage or to make a profit by renting it out. Some people are stuck in their homes because their houses may have been overvalued at the time of purchase or the rental market does not return the amount that they spend with their mortgage. Also, you can consider that certain parts of MD (i.e. Prince George's, Charles Counties) are cheaper to live in than VA or even DC for that matter.
Fair enough, but it can be done, plus I'm in the same boat. I'm renting my other house I own in El Paso, TX, the thought of renting my home while here on the east-coast is beyond daunting. Would love to be able to take a 30 minute drive to check it out when ever. You can also bet the cost gap between El Paso & MD is beyond night and day vs MD & VA/DC, so again, it can be down. Hiring a property manager drastically reduces your activity as a landlord. I just get a email/call when the check is in the mail. I was hard headed and it did myself for 2 years. Believe me I know about expenses towards renting, just need to do the preventative maintenance done periodically and everything else falls in place (still have a 2-10 warranty for costly repairs). Planning out the move & living within ones means is key. So I think it boils down to the individual, they can either put forth effort and move or just stay & relax if they don't like or want to risk it.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esco757 View Post
Fair enough, but it can be done, plus I'm in the same boat. I'm renting my other house I own in El Paso, TX, the thought of renting my home while here on the east-coast is beyond daunting. Would love to be able to take a 30 minute drive to check it out when ever. You can also bet the cost gap between El Paso & MD is beyond night and day vs MD & VA/DC, so again, it can be down. Hiring a property manager drastically reduces your activity as a landlord. I just get a email/call when the check is in the mail. I was hard headed and it did myself for 2 years. Believe me I know about expenses towards renting, just need to do the preventative maintenance done periodically and everything else falls in place (still have a 2-10 warranty for costly repairs). Planning out the move & living within ones means is key. So I think it boils down to the individual, they can either put forth effort and move or just stay & relax if they don't like or want to risk it.
Yes and no. Your situation sounds pretty straight forward, but I know some people who have had property that they lost hundreds of dollars every month even after renting it out. Some people got put in tough circumstances. Also I would say it depends on the quality of tenants. You sound like you have some good tenants and a trustworthy landlord. Both can be difficult to deal with. Overall, it definitely depends on each individual situation. There are a lot of factors that can make moving difficult. MD is not a horrible place to live, it's better than some other places I have been to, but I think everyone has their own standards of what they like.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM

I sure wish it was straight forward, the first tenant was great for two years, after that I had 3 tenants that were evicted in matter of a year & a half time span, where I found myself paying for two mortgages & court cost. Fortunately I could write some of this off when tax season came around. This past Feb was when things got better. Saving properly got me through the rough times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or