U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:57 AM

10,955 posts, read 20,321,314 times

Advertisements

We are staying in OC on Saturday night. I "think" we will miss most of the DC traffic heading down there (which I assume will be on Thur and Fri). We don't go to OC often and tend to avoid it all together on holiday weekends, so I thought I would ask. If we leave for the Bay Bridge around 8AM traffic should be okay right?

The bigger question is coming home on Sunday. Is it better to get up and leave early or stay as late as possible and leave in the evening? We live in Annapolis, so we are only 2 hours away normally.

I know we will hit some traffic and I'm fine with that, I'm just trying to know what to expect so we can maybe avoid some of it.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:01 PM

35,122 posts, read 44,940,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We are staying in OC on Saturday night. I "think" we will miss most of the DC traffic heading down there (which I assume will be on Thur and Fri). We don't go to OC often and tend to avoid it all together on holiday weekends, so I thought I would ask. If we leave for the Bay Bridge around 8AM traffic should be okay right?

The bigger question is coming home on Sunday. Is it better to get up and leave early or stay as late as possible and leave in the evening? We live in Annapolis, so we are only 2 hours away normally.

I know we will hit some traffic and I'm fine with that, I'm just trying to know what to expect so we can maybe avoid some of it.

Thanks.
This weekend will be a goat roping no matter what time you leave.

Back in the late 80's/early '90's the Ocean City theme was "Come early, stay late". Many still do.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM

123 posts, read 154,098 times
From past experience MD & NJ beaches are a freakin mess on 4th of July. The crowds, lack of ANY on street parking & restaurants booked out the old wazoo. Top it off with the ultimate nightmare of getting to & getting home from your destination

Old 07-02-2014, 01:30 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,244,973 times
Early/late. I live right outside of Ocean City and work in west OC on sportfishing boats. If I need to go in to the marina on a holiday weekend (other then fishing which is a non issue at 4 AM) I want to leave my house earlier in the day - before 9 AM. Otherwise I will be stuck in traffic for the few miles I have to be on 50. As far as coming home after a days fishing, I never have a problem, but it is always after 7 or so, usually a bit later.

Even crossing that bridge and heading into town, if you need a place to park go early and it shouldn't be a problem. It's the hours from about 10 AM to 7 PM that are tough. If you don't mind walking a bit it's not that bad. Or perhaps a better statement may be that it is doable. Just don't drag your feet in the morning getting out of bed and having breakfast at or near your hotel if your staying uptown and want to go downtown. Leave right away and get something to eat after you find a place to park your car for the day. Or take the bus/taxi and leave your car at the hotel. If doing a day trip from home, leave super early ( pre dawn) so you can get there early enough to find parking, just be careful of Bambi on the way down. They are everywhere over here!

Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the info. A neighbor that has a condo in OC sent me this via FB and I thought I would share it here:

Saturday is the day that the weekly rentals turn over in Ocean City. The bridge gets bad around noon so get there before lunch. As for Sunday I always stay late as the bridge is always slammed going west from 4 to 6pm. I usually leave Ocean city around 6pm. Hope this helps

Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 PM

So that was pretty brutal. Not sure if I will ever try to leave DC for the 4th of July (by car) again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or