Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 31,110 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are both born and raised in Fairfax County VA. We are looking to move to the Annapolis area next year, but are sorta of at a lost to what areas are good or not. My hubby is dead set on moving to Riva, MD- which I like, but I feel that there are no amenities in the immediate area. We also checked out Edgewater, MD, but it seems a bit more run down and slightly red necky/ghetto- we are a young, professional mix-couple and I do not want to expose my daughter to people who have unfavorable views against bi-racial couples and children. I would not mind moving to Arnold or Severna Park, but my husband thinks that way too far (we both work in DC- hubby downtown- me uptown). Can someone please help me get a handle on either Riva, Edgewater, or any other communities that have water access that are not over 30 miles away from DC. We need good schools, close to amenities, and easy access to DC (not using route 50). Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:52 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle.sosa09 View Post
Can someone please help me get a handle on either Riva, Edgewater, or any other communities that have water access that are not over 30 miles away from DC. We need good schools, close to amenities, and easy access to DC (not using route 50). Thanks
We had a weekend house in Edgewater and agree there are some rednecks. However, with the increasing prices of water access-communities, I think you will encounter very few people who are real rednecks.

Riva is a very small area, and it is more "prestigious". However, it is zoned for some of the same schools that Edgewater is. For example, Central Elementary, Central Middle etc. The "Edgewater" schools get excellent ratings at Greatschools.org, in the 8, 9 or 10 out of 10 categories. You can use Redfin to search on schools, for example: http://www.redfin.com/real-estate#!v...pe=7&market=dc

I think it is a moot point whether you buy in Edgewater or Riva. Just look for a house you like in a community with the amenities you want. BTW, there are few alternatives to Route 50, only 650 or 214 (Central Avenue).

Old 06-18-2014, 08:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I agree with goldenage. Edgewater on the surface seems pretty redneck, but it's more of a water culture than redneck. Either way, there are far more white collar type commuters in the area now and you would have no problem with being bi-racial. The problem with Edgewater is that houses are either low end crap under 300k in the older parts or over 700k in the newer parts or on the water. Not a lot of middle ground. Riva is nice, but pretty isolated from retail etc. Severana Park is nice a well, but traffic in that area and getting to and from Severna Park can be brutal.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 PM

103 posts, read 183,686 times
Have you considered West County (i.e. Crofton)? It's slightly closer to DC than Riva/Edgewater and has a bit more amenities along Rt. 3. Arnold/Cape area is nice but the commute across the Severn River is a bit rough, but again, if you find the right place, it may be worth the traffic.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Crofton seems sooooo boring to me. Other than it being closer to "some" things, the actual area itself is like small midwestern suburb lost in the DC region. Strip malls and housing developments surrounded by open land. The development is straight out of the 1980's, retail is mostly lower end national chains and the traffic is annoying.

Last edited by kcmo; 06-21-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 PM

132 posts, read 325,019 times
I will be working at South River High School this fall which is in Edgewater. It is a beautiful town, and Riva is pretty much the same place as Edgewater so there's not much of a difference between them. If you don't like that area and are looking to live in the Annapolis area and stay near DC, try Crofton/Gambrills. Crownsville is also another area I suggest. I live in Arnold. It is pretty much exactly like Edgewater. Severna Park also seems to be the same way. I would just stay in the Edgewater/Crofton/Gambrills part of the Annapolis area if I worked near DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland