U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,555 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job offer in Maryland which will require me to rotate between Easton, Centreville, Cambridge, Chestertown and some parts of Delaware. Because I have to travel alot for work, I would like to live in a central location (limiting my commute to less than an hour most days).

I am a single, black, female and a recent college grad (23 years old). I am looking for diversity, gyms, shopping and a chance at a social life.

Any suggestions on a city to live in? I am willing to pay around $1200 for rent. It seems like Easton might be a good choice based on some research but I really don't know.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM

11,685 posts, read 20,979,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAmo View Post
I just accepted a job offer in Maryland which will require me to rotate between Easton, Centreville, Cambridge, Chestertown and some parts of Delaware. Because I have to travel alot for work, I would like to live in a central location (limiting my commute to less than an hour most days).

I am a single, black, female and a recent college grad (23 years old). I am looking for diversity, gyms, shopping and a chance at a social life.

Any suggestions on a city to live in? I am willing to pay around $1200 for rent. It seems like Easton might be a good choice based on some research but I really don't know.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!
While Easton and Chestertown are lovely towns, I do not recall seeing many black professionals. If you want a social life among other young black professionals, I suggest living on Kent Island, the town of Chester. I believe there is a gym or YMCA near Chester, and outlet mall shopping. Then you can easily escape to Annapolis or DC on the weekends. The Eastern Shore has many white, retired people, and it is not very progressive or lively.

Other possibilities for socializing on the weekends include Salisbury, (for the University which might have professors or older students), Dover, DE for Air Force people, and Ocean City or Rehoboth.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-28-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 06:34 PM

11,685 posts, read 20,979,278 times
Easton has a YMCA, Kent Island has the Kent Island Fitness Club.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 PM

274 posts, read 587,101 times
I moved from PA to the eastern shore when I was 25 for a teaching job. I was single and liked to go out...However, this isn't too easy to do on the eastern shore. While I did eventually make great friends and have a social life, it was hard having to drive ALL THE TIME to Baltimore, Annapolis, or even to DC (an hour drive from Greensboro, where I lived). The central location you speak of might be Denton (Denton is 30 min. to Dover, 25-30 to Cambridge, 20 to Kent Isl, 25 to Chestertown, etc.), however, the social life you speak of wanting is non-existent in Denton, MD. It's farmville everywhere. It's a beautiful landscape, but you will find that having a bar scene is non-existent on the eastern shore in general. Living on Kent Island will be a hike when you have to go to Cambridge--it'll be about 40-45 minutes. Dover from Kent Island will be about 40ish-45...Kent Island to Easton is about 30 minutes. But if you live on Kent Island, it's true, you're close to civilization if you're young and single--you have Annapolis which DOES have a night life and tons of young people out and aboot. You just don't find that in Easton, or Kent Isl. Plus, the night life scene on Kent Island, I'm sorry, is ...uh...red-necky. However, if you like partying with bikers and 50+ crowd, it's your place (Lots of crab shacks and bars on the water).

If I were you, I'd move to Easton due to the driving factor. If I didn't have to do Cambridge all too much, I'd live on Kent Island. Easton has more restaurants, bars, and a really nice YMCA.

Cambridge is nice in some areas, but the night life is local yocals but then again, once you make friends, it's a decent place to go out in. After 6 years living on the eastern shore, I moved so I didn't die a spinster cat lady. Best move I ever made. But the eastern shore was the best move I ever made at 25. You might really like it.

Old 06-21-2014, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,330 times
Eastern shore native here. I suggest living in Easton; there is not only a YMCA but a couple of other gyms that seem to have a lot of younger people in & out. You will find the bar scene in Easton stronger than Cambridge, Centreville, Chestertown (Washington St. Pub and Brasserie are both downtown in Easton). New brewery in St. Michaels down the road, though there is so denying the population is much older...Cambridge also has a new brewery but it is farther from Chestertown etc. and not as safe/clean as Easton.

Diversity age/ethnicity-wise is definitely lacking here compared to any city, no way around it.

In Easton $1200 should keep you straight on rent; you'll be most proximate to Cambridge (groove city) and Centreville, but about an hour from Chestertown. Locations in DE are 45 - 1:45 depending. I think it'd be your best bet overall.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:05 PM

35 posts, read 46,111 times
I live in Greensboro to keep my costs down and to run my small business, but use the YMCA in Denton and Easton. The YMCA in Easton has two great pools. You definitely want Easton. More stuff for young professionals. I've noticed that the folks under 30 here are much more accepting of mixed-race dating and tolerance for diversity. The over age 50 set can be a lot more problematic - fortunately this will self correct over time. I would call the Kent Island bar scene more 'margaritaville' and boat-oriented, not rednecky. Rednecky is when you feel you could get hurt if a fight broke out, and I haven't encountered that on Kent Island :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or