Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,725 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single mom to 11 year old twins. We have been living in Severna Park since 2010 taking care of my mom, last summer we had to sell her house in Round Bay so she could go to Ginger Cove. I was able to find a temporary house to rent for kids last year of elementary at Jones. Now I have to figure out where to go for the final push of middle and high school.

I would like to purchase but max would be $300k, I know....won't get me much! All I care about is what is best for my kids. I know they will be upset to leave Severna Park but if that is what I need to do than we will get through it, I just am not sure of what are really good options outside of Severna Park. I work in Annapolis, so commute is not an issue.

I really appreciate any insight.

Jane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,725 times
Default Please, I really need insight!

Anybody have any information that can help me make a decision, would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:35 AM

117 posts, read 270,545 times
Hi there! We just moved from Odenton to Hilton Head, SC last November after 25 years in MD. We first lived in Millersville and our youngest son went to Benfield Elementary which was good. Both my boys went to Archbishop Spalding HS in Severn so I can't really address the HS issue specifically. In 2005 we moved to Piney Orchard and Piney Orchard Elementary is excellent. I believe Piney Orchard feeds into Arundel Middle and High School. I really believe that students in any middle or high school can get a quality education providing that there is strong parent involvement and oversight and cooperation/respect between students, parents and faculty. Teachers should teach and students should learn by listening in class, taking notes and doing all homework and assignments. Piney Orchard has great amenities but also has HOA dues to cover them. Perhaps you should make a monthly budget with expenses and income in columns to see what you can comfortably afford and then seek a good local buyers agent to steer you into neighborhoods which fit your needs. Good luck!!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:53 PM

103 posts, read 286,651 times
Hi! I just moved from Arnold to Crofton, Maryland. (Which I also suggest you to look in). Arnold is a nice place to live in. If you like rural places with water, a family friendly environment in a place with a lot of family activities, I think Arnold is a great fit for you. However, I would avoid some parts of Annapolis as I hear that Annapolis High School isn't so great. Broadneck High School (Arnold and East Annapolis/Broadneck Peninsula kids) is a top-notch high school. Severna Park High School is also very lovely. Arnold and Severna Park are pretty much the same. Severna Park is just more expensive. Another area I suggest looking at similar to these areas is Crofton. Two top-notch high schools (Arundel High School and South River High School). Very close to Annapolis too. Other places in the Annapolis area I suggest are Odenton and Gambrills, and even The Chesapeake High School district of Pasadena. It's cheaper to live in that district. Here is a list of how GreatSchools ranks the AACPS hs's: Public High Schools in Anne Arundel County Public Schools - Annapolis, MD | GreatSchools

Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,447 times
Check out Millersville. The Village of Old Mill should have plenty of decent houses in your price range.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 AM

29 posts, read 55,189 times
On your budget, Severna Park schools are not going to be an option. You should be able to find a nice place in Arnold or Millersville which is not too far from Severna Park well within your budget. As a realtor I can tell you that inventory is at a premium right now so certainly do your homework and work with an agent who is knowledgeable about the area. If a home is priced correctly right now it's selling quickly and the $300K and below range is the hot market.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:23 AM

25 posts, read 90,816 times
Crownsville is the best of all the areas mentioned above, less crowded more spaced out, better scenery.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 PM

10 posts, read 9,403 times
Pasadena is nice and annapolis is an easy commute

Old 05-06-2014, 10:07 AM

25 posts, read 90,816 times
Some parts of Pasadena are still nice near Gibson Island.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 PM

29 posts, read 55,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livegonzo View Post
Some parts of Pasadena are still nice near Gibson Island.
Pasadena as a whole is a nice area, not just down by Gibson Island. It all comes down to personal preference and your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland