Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,990 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing a house in Silver Spring, MD at the Poplar Run community. It will be a brand new home. Our mortgage payment will be closer to $4000. Is it reasonable to have that payment in the DC metro area? $4000 seems pretty high to me, however if it is worth it, we are going for it.
Will this house at Silver Spring appreciate in the future? 8-10 years from now? Or is it better to pay the same mortgage at a location with better schools? Although $4000 seems a lot, I still can't afford Bethesda, but something in between?
I appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:46 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usermp10 View Post
I am considering purchasing a house in Silver Spring, MD at the Poplar Run community. It will be a brand new home. Our mortgage payment will be closer to $4000. Is it reasonable to have that payment in the DC metro area? $4000 seems pretty high to me, however if it is worth it, we are going for it.
Will this house at Silver Spring appreciate in the future? 8-10 years from now? Or is it better to pay the same mortgage at a location with better schools? Although $4000 seems a lot, I still can't afford Bethesda, but something in between?
I wish you well, but nobody can predict 8-10 years in the future. We used to live in Wheaton, and our house appreciated nicely between 1982 and 2013, but I could not say that will continue.

I also have some concerns about the schools assigned to Poplar Run. I would suggest looking at some smaller and older houses in better school districts, perhaps Olney.

You don't have to discuss your income here, but ask yourself whether your jobs are secure enough to support the mortgage payment. How long would you last if one or both partners lost their income?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
Where is Poplar Run? Damn that's a big monthly check. With that said I have to believe this is a great time to buy, prices are still down here.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:14 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Where is Poplar Run? Damn that's a big monthly check. With that said I have to believe this is a great time to buy, prices are still down here.
If it's the community I'm thinking about, it's about a 5 minute drive from the Glenmont metro. It's a brand new development. I think if you're already spending close to half a mil on a home, there will be little appreciation, but that's just my two cents.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
The question isn't whether the amount is reasonable in the area but whether you can afford the payment

Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I was paying $4800, but I recently got a mortgage modification. My payment has been knocked down to $3000. What you pay depends on your mortgage balance and interest rate, of course.

Use this tool to learn about your public school options:

http://gis.mcpsmd.org/SchoolAssignme...essInput.xhtml

There are of course lot of other options for non-public schools if you're willing to pay for them.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:54 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
Its an expensive area, there is no doubt about it. What does your realtor say about the value of that community compared to existing homes? Nobody, nobody, nobody can guarantee *any* appreciation. But homes in good school districts tend to resell easier. Just take a look at all your options with your realtor and if the new home is still the winner and you are comfortable with that payment, then you'll find peace with your decision. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:15 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
You also should not be making a mortgage payment so large that it prevents you from saving for anything else like your kids' education or your own retirement.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Ho-ly cow. I can't fathom a mortgage payment of four grand per month.
(Ours is $685 per, but then we don't live in the North East.)

Surely there are more reasonably priced houses in your desired area. Keep looking, for the sake of my blood pressure.

Old 06-05-2014, 06:46 PM

795 posts, read 1,268,365 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Go hang out in the economics section of this site... sounds like you need to learn some basics first....

And no one can really answer since we don't know the house and don't know how much money you make and what other income/expenses you have. Heck, if you can afford 6000 payment per month, but only get one for 4000, then you are doing great... if the house is in a great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland