Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 06:30 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Well you clearly missed what i just posted then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 AM

144 posts, read 184,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This was Annapolis on May 29. An accident on the Severn River Bridge going eastbound and an accident on I-97 headed northbound. Count them. 9 lanes of standstill traffic. You can have that nonsense.
Hahaha! All my friends who moved from MD say they're so glad they made the change. It's got it's perks, but I thought this would be about more than just traffic. I've been around and I've seen nicer places to live. And yes, that applies to pretty much the whole state.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Here's an example of why we left:

Police Chief in Uniform Told to Leave Gun Outside Ikea | NBC4 Washington

and of course, the ridiculous taxes.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
you don't like Ikea?

Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
you don't like Ikea?
I don't now!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM

165 posts, read 232,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Accidents don't happen in other states?
Seriously.

Try driving on I-81 and I-83 in Pennsylvania, accidents happen here too. That is an interesting reason to hate a state.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Accidents don't happen in other states?
Of course they do, just not in the crazy numbers as they do around here. Anyone who drives on 95, 695 and/or 495 knows that people around here drive like jerks...cutting across two, three, lanes of traffic to exit at the last minute is rather common. So is the driver who all-of-a-sudden decides at the last minute to stay on the freeway. I see these things and other instances of bad driving every single time I am on the highway. For those who do not believe me, just google the topic.

And honestly what is up with all of the vehicle fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You have to actually drive on the surface streets of Manhattan, find parking, visit the attractions, dine in the restaurants, etc.

That's what separates the men from the mice here in the U.S. ;-)
Well, next time I have $10 to spend per run-of-the-mill beer, I will.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well you clearly missed what i just posted then.
People has simply been responding to this post because it was so over the top.

Quote:
I'm sure you did, but that's not a common occurrence. Apparently in Maryland (and VA) that's just another typical rush hour.

You clearly stated that accidents that back up traffic for 2 hours was unusual in NC but the norm for DC rush hour. Then you appeared to get all butt hurt when posters called you out on it.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
people around here drive like jerks...cutting across two, three, lanes of traffic to exit at the last minute is rather common. So is the driver who all-of-a-sudden decides at the last minute to stay on the freeway. I see these things and other instances of bad driving every single time I am on the highway.
Yes, but here's the kicker. After a while you learn to expect those things to happen. You learn the way people unconsciously tend to move towards the lines or weave around in their lane a little right before they make their move. Here in Greenville, NC, it's the unexpected things that they do that makes this county the deadliest in the state.

You'll be following someone in the slow lane on a 5 lane road (4 travel and a turn lane). Suddenly they come to a complete and abrupt stop. Right in the middle of the road. After the traffic in the fast lane goes by I finally got a chance to go around Mrs. Stop In The Road. I look in the rearview mirror and she's doing a U turn across all 5 lanes.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:42 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
People has simply been responding to this post because it was so over the top.

You clearly stated that accidents that back up traffic for 2 hours was unusual in NC but the norm for DC rush hour. Then you appeared to get all butt hurt when posters called you out on it.
First off, for about the third time, my main complaint wasn't that an accident occurred that backed up traffic, it was the complete clusterF that followed which I've never encountered anything like in my life.

Second, this was the original post you quoted of mine:

Quote:
So you really see no difference between rush hour and it taking 3 hours to go 2 miles only to be forced to make a u-turn because there was no warning that the road was closed ahead and there was no alternate route?

If so, the fact that you think something like that is no big deal just goes to show how bad the traffic in Maryland really is.

Your posts are funny though... I'm sure you can't be serious.
I didn't originally claim it was normal in DC, that post was in response to King_of_DC's posts such as the ones below which made it seem like he was claiming it was the norm (and there wasn't really anyone else disputing it originally). I was trying to get him to clarify if that was what he was saying, hence the question to start off the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
O If you decide to travel through Maryland at rush hour, I'm not sure that is a Maryland issue.

Not a Maryland issue... it is clearly your fault. You know the situation, yet you put yourself in it and then complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland