Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,
New to this forum. We are seriously thinking of moving to MD so our child can attend the School for the Deaf. Where is a good place to raise a family?
Thanks for ALL input.
Sheryl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:27 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,530 times
There is a campus of the Maryland School of the Deaf in Columbia (near the intersection of Rt.108 and Snowden River Parkway) it's close to Columbia and Ellicott City. Both are nice places to raise a family, but without more information re: what you're looking for it's hard to recommend an area.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Which school are you interested in? There are a few.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM

33 posts, read 203,386 times
There is also a MD School for the Deaf in Frederick, MD on the edge of the downtown historic area.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 PM

109 posts, read 469,716 times
The md school for the deaf in frederick is in a nice area. I do not know what other type of info you are looking for but it is fairly accessible to major highways and nice neighborhoods.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,373 times
Question deaf communities in MD

We're looking for a nice place to raise a family. We're in our 40s and have two children in College. Five years ago we became foster parents and now have adopted a 6yr old who is deaf. We feel she is very isolated in our area (PA) and so we're seriously considering moving to MD where I hear the deaf community is very strong. Does anyone know anything about it? Where is the deaf culture most populated?
Sheryl

Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 PM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
I can't give you statistics on how sizeable the deaf community is in Maryland. However, Galladut is in Washington, DC, and its campus includes the Model Secondary School for the Deaf. MSSD offers schooling for deaf children through 12th grade. MSSD is, I believe, better regarded than the Maryland School for the Deaf, but don't quote me on this.

I wouldn't worry about the size of the deaf community. All cities have deaf residents and deaf children, and the way to get involved is through the local support groups and organizations. The Alexander Graham Bell Association has local chapters that tend to be popular with hearing parents of deaf children.

The MD School for the Deaf's campus in Columbia is in Howard County. Howrad is a pleasant suburban county, but housing is expensive. Frederick is a more affordable county yet also very pleasant. The better speech therapists tend to be in either Baltimore or DC.

I do know there's also the National Technological Institute for the Deaf (NTID), which is part of Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in Rochester, NY. I've been told that Rochester has a sizeable deaf community due to the presence of RIT/NTID.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 41,864 times
I used to literally live right behind the school for the deaf in Frederick. This school is excellent and gorgeous!! As for the community,I know there will be a lot of support--the school seems very tight knit. Definately look into Frederick

Leslie

Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,087 times
Default Maryland School for the Deaf

schaikowsky3,

I am an employee with Maryland School for the Deaf, you may email me at cohenla@msd.edu for more information and can help you arrange for a visit to Columbia and Frederick schools.

To get more information about Maryland School for the Deaf, please click on www.msd.edu . Hope you write me real soon!

Larry

Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,217 times
Default Moving to MD to attend MSD

Finally decided to take the step to move to MD to for our daughter to attend MSD. Any suggestions on what area to live in? Good family neighborhoods, safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland