Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 11:53 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooca726 View Post
Yup!

If you get hired in Prince George's, Montgomery or Howard Counties you would be advised to keep your political leanings, if they're anything to the right of Karl Marx, to yourself.

My bona fides consist of being a 30 year teacher in Prince George's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:42 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Wow! Because this post was supposed to be all political anyway!

I don't care if Colorado or Maryland is conservative or liberal, because that doesn't matter to me. That is a stupid thing to bring up.

Thanks to the others who have been helpful in this post.
Having spent most of my life I know a little bit about MD politics.

I gauarntee you that if the school board knew you are a conservative republican, you wouldn't have chance in hell of getting hired.

THAT is my point.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:43 PM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben A. Roundawurld View Post
Classless.
Quote:
Yup!
It is NOT my problem that you can't handle the truth.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:42 PM

7 posts, read 10,321 times
My political views do not steer where I get a job... when you are a teacher in this economy, you take what you can get. I don't care. I keep my views to myself.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Having spent most of my life I know a little bit about MD politics.

I gauarntee you that if the school board knew you are a conservative republican, you wouldn't have chance in hell of getting hired.

THAT is my point.
Why would the school board know if she was a republican?

Maybe that is your problem, I have never had a job where my political views were an issue. Probably because I don't bring my political views to work.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Oxon Hill. It will be a different experience if you're expecting middle class students.

As far as Prince George's goes. School just closed last Tuesday. Tenured teachers have until July 15 to resign or retire so many schools won't have an idea about their staffing needs until then. Also, voluntary and involuntary transfers have to be placed before new staff is hired.

Anne Arundel I'd call back. School systems here tend to get sloppy and most of their HR departments are.........challenged would be the word I'd use.

I usually don't quote myself but I wanted to address what I bolded.

One of our Counselors was just offered a job in another County. She accepted it so we now have a vacancy. But since many schools have cut Counselors there are a bunch out there awaiting reassignment so we will get one of those before any new hire no matter how qualified.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:52 PM

7 posts, read 10,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I usually don't quote myself but I wanted to address what I bolded.

One of our Counselors was just offered a job in another County. She accepted it so we now have a vacancy. But since many schools have cut Counselors there are a bunch out there awaiting reassignment so we will get one of those before any new hire no matter how qualified.
Is it safe to say it may take later into the summer before the bigger districts do a lot of their hiring?

Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Is it safe to say it may take later into the summer before the bigger districts do a lot of their hiring?
All of them really, as I mentioned the drop dead date for tenured staff to resign/retire is July 15th.

As a note for those who will say, "Well if you want to go then just go. They can't make you stay".

You would be correct but the penalties for late retirees is forfeiture of a couple months of pension and Teaching Certificate suspension (Prince George's especially does that) while resignees lose their certification. Without your certificate you can't teach in another system. They also don't state for the public record what caused the suspension so you're lumped in with the sex offenders and thieves.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 906 times
the one of the most important things is being in a good mood, don't show that you are nervous, and have some answers ready the most important are some like what can you bring new, whats your qualities.

-----------------------------
[url=http://www.tarababe.co.uk/]Tara Babe[/url]

Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM

132 posts, read 325,196 times
Hi! I also recently moved to Maryland and got a teaching job at South River High School starting this fall. The process is different depending on what you want to teach. But you start out by filling out an online application which I left in the link below:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGWebHos...26&siteid=5257

Usually after you fill out an application, you get interviewed by the board, or the principals of the school you could teach at etc. (It depends on what you're teaching.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland