U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,718 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

My girlfriend and I will work at Gaithersburg (her) and John Hopkins - Baltimore (me). We would like to know if is there any neighborhood between both places? We're searching some location near subway station or bus stop. Moreover, we want a safe place and cheap, if possible!

Could someone give us some tips about public transports, or if is better buy a car? And the cost of living over there?

Thanks for the tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 AM

11,685 posts, read 20,979,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilians View Post
My girlfriend and I will work at Gaithersburg (her) and John Hopkins - Baltimore (me). We would like to know if is there any neighborhood between both places? We're searching some location near subway station or bus stop. Moreover, we want a safe place and cheap, if possible!

Could someone give us some tips about public transports, or if is better buy a car? And the cost of living over there?
You for sure will need a car or 2 cars. The cost of living is quite expensive compared to other parts of the USA.

I'd suggest living in Jessup, Laurel or Columbia to be between the locations. However, the public transportation into Gaithersburg will be limited. I would check for an MTA bus that services Fort Meade or BWI Airport, perhaps the 201 bus. The Gaithersburg commuter will be the one more likely to need the car.

Which campus of Johns Hopkins would you be working at? Again the MTA bus will serve JHU hospital, or get you close enough to catch a shuttle.

Try the Trip Planner, or look through the various bus routes here: Commuter Bus | Maryland Transit Administration

The 310 or 320 might work to Baltimore, but you will probably have to drive the car to a stop.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-13-2014 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,718 times
Thank you so much!

In fact we're completely lost, because we've never had lived at USA. So we don't know anything about public transportation.
Searching on google maps, no matter if I choose bus or subway to get John Hopkins Hospital, I'll spend the same time. By the way, is the public transportation expensive? And the gas?

Could you tell more about the neighborhood cited? Which is cheaper to rent?

Thank you again for the tips!

Best wishes!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 PM

11,685 posts, read 20,979,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazilians View Post
By the way, is the public transportation expensive? And the gas?

Could you tell more about the neighborhood cited? Which is cheaper to rent?
If you compare public transit to the cost of running a car, public transit is not too bad. A monthly commuter bus ticket is $119 for the Columbia to JHU route. Because parking in the city is expensive, it would probably be cheaper to take the bus.

Columbia is a very nice planned community. It is a bit more expensive than Laurel or Jessup. Laurel and Jessup are some-what run-down commercial strip areas, but you can find safe apartments. Please search the forum for "safe apartments" as there already have been dozens of answers. You can expect to pay from $1300-1800 per month for an apartment in these areas, with electricity usually being extra.

I'm not sure how to estimate the cost of owning a car, but the tax people figure it at 56 cents per mile. Gas costs about $3.80 per gallon for regular. I'd suggest getting one car for the Gaithersburg commuter and figure out a schedule for her to drop you at the bus stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or