Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 07:07 PM

4 posts, read 5,658 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am struggling here and I need some assistance ASAP. I am a "mature" adult (over 45). I retired after 20 years in the Air Force and decided to continue my education. I was uncertain what to major in at first and did not want to waste time taking classes that I would not benefit from. I graduated from Liberty University in 2011 with a B.S. in Education (non-licensure). During my on-line classes at Liberty, I completed my practicum, however, there was no student-teaching. There lies my problem since I did not complete the traditional method for a teaching degree. Liberty has since then changed their program.

I have been substitute teaching for the past few years and I recently took my Praxis 1 and passed only the writing portion. I took the Praxis prep classes and that really helped me. I did well but not well enough, therefore I am retaking the math (need 6 more points) and writing portions (hoping for a higher score since I did fairly well), this is what my Praxis instructor advised me to do. I was 7 points shy on the reading but I swear I'm not taking it again because was hard enough and I'm hoping to make up points elsewhere. Sorry, I digressed with background information.

How can I complete student teaching if I am no longer in school? I've search the MD teaching website but I did not find anything.

I know there are programs out there for individuals who want to become teachers but they have no education degree. I'm in a funky situation because I cannot apply for those programs because I do have an education degree.

Are there programs out there where I can do student teaching? Please someone help me! I'm feeling frustrated because I really want to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 08:05 PM

8 posts, read 10,670 times
Your best shot might be an alternative certification program. Baltimore and Baltimore County both have them. What part of the state are you in?

Old 07-26-2014, 10:47 AM

23 posts, read 29,664 times
You can try charter schools. They have much more flexibility in hiring. Here is a good website mdcharternetwork.org . I hope this helps!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:52 PM

Thanks fiery phoenix! I'm in Anne Arundel County. I did look into a few programs but they were primarily for people who did not have an education degree. I guess I will look harder.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks so much eastcoastwanderer, I'm going to check out the site. I did look into one charter school in DC. I still have to be certified. My course of action at this point is to finish my Praxis exams and then go from there. I'm just a little lost on student teaching. I'm sure God will make a way. Thanks again!

Old 07-29-2014, 12:48 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I suppose there's little room for hindsight 20/20 here.....but what did you expect to accomplish with a BS in Education with no path forward for teaching?? I struggle with the idea that someone gets an "education" degree that isn't geared towards teaching....and it appears from your experience the State of MD has a problem with it too.

What did you originally expect to do with that degree? Perhaps you can pursue your original plan?

Either way, good luck!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 PM

AeroGuy DC,

You're absolutely correct, hindsight is 20/20. I did have a path. I planned to continue on at Liberty with my MAT, which comes with certification upon completion of the program. The only reason I hesitated is that in order to be accepted into the Master's program, I had to have my Praxis I completed and in be in the process of completing Praxis II. Well, I re-took my writing portion today and I believed I scored higher and I re-take the math portion tomorrow. That whole process is still in my mind. I guess Liberty revised their program because now they don't just have an B.S. Education degree program but a B.S. Elementary Education Interdisciplinary Studies
(non-licensure with 5th year MAT Elementary Education licensure option).

Being a Christian, I look at it this way, God has given me the gift of teaching that I plan to use. It will happen one way or another. Sometimes we learn things the hard way and it may take us time to get there but I have faith perseverance my friend.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 29,664 times
Blessed37, I hope you find the correct path into teaching. Through my training so far, it has been made absolutely clear that our students need lots of support, encouragement, teachers who are passionate about education, and mentors who truly care about their future. It seems like you're on this path. Keep it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: