Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 PM

7 posts, read 10,210 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'm in the process of moving to Silver Spring from Houston TX for a new job. I've been reading about what I have to do to register my vehicle and have a pretty good idea. I just have one question though.

My Accord is a 2012 and is in very good shape, so should pass safety inspection. Only thing that is not quite right is I have a crack on my windshield. It doesn't obstruct my vision at all and it was like this when I recently had it inspected in Texas. Do you think that would be a problem passing inspection in MD?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 03:15 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
The windshield will likely have to be replaced. The MD inspection is incredibly tough. Over the years I've brought several cars down from PA which had just passed the yearly inspection there. None of them passed the MD inspection.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 AM

Thanks! I've been thinking that would probably be the case. Even though I've not moved yet (next week), I already have insurance set up with my same company. I guess I'll call today and get my windshield replaced before I get up there.

Appreciate the help!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Also within a few months of registering your car you will get a notice for an air pollution test. It's called VEIP and there are various locations (they're stand alone run by the State not garages) located in most areas.

As far as registering your car here, hold on to your wallet because it gets pricey.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also within a few months of registering your car you will get a notice for an air pollution test. It's called VEIP and there are various locations (they're stand alone run by the State not garages) located in most areas.

As far as registering your car here, hold on to your wallet because it gets pricey.
Geez. Thanks! I guess I'm spoiled to Texas. I can't remember what it is that I had to pay when I moved here, but it was just a small registration fee. Not much at all.

Good to know about the emissions testing. I had assumed it was all done at the same time.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM

83 posts, read 113,349 times
Maryland auto inspections are one time only, that's why they are a bit more strict. In order to register your car in MD, it has to pass a safety inspection. You'll also pay 6% of the car's purchase price (or value) as excise tax.

Go to MVA and click on the "vehicles" tab. In there, you'll find "new to Maryland"

Old 08-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionLady View Post
Maryland auto inspections are one time only, that's why they are a bit more strict. In order to register your car in MD, it has to pass a safety inspection. You'll also pay 6% of the car's purchase price (or value) as excise tax.

Go to MVA and click on the "vehicles" tab. In there, you'll find "new to Maryland"
Thanks. Geez....they make it complicated, don't they?!

Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDTX View Post
Thanks. Geez....they make it complicated, don't they?!
Having lived and experienced the process elsewhere... I remain a fan of the system in MD.

The SAFETY inspection is about protecting used car buyers...
and giving everyone else on the road some reassurance about the other cars around them.
The presumption is that MOST owners will want to keep their cars safe to use (and do that).

If you buy your car new (and later trade it in) you'll NEVER have to do a safety inspection.
If (when?) you private party sale that 2012 model you'll need to have it inspected again.
(A lot of shady used car sellers don't agree -but they are wrong)

Old 08-08-2014, 04:54 AM

165 posts, read 232,204 times
What if your car was originally bought in Maryland? I lived in PA for almost 2 years but will be moving back to Maryland, I have my title work both in Maryland and Pennsylvania. Would I have to do the inspection again and would I have to get another title for Maryland?

Thank you for any assistance.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Thanks, MrRational. I really don't have a problem with the safety inspection, but am a bit confused on the paperwork aspect. Let me ask this way and see if I'm understanding. So the process is this:

1. Get car inspected
2. Get title to the Office of Motor Vehicles, or if I owe money on my car (who doesn't these days), I have to fill out a form and send it to my credit union who I pay for the car, for them to send a copy of the title to them.
3. Once received, I go back to pay a butt-load of tax and registration fees, and then I get my new title.

Is that it in a nutshell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland