Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 5,461 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So my job is in Rockville and I found a few apartments 5 minutes driving or less but the rent is high (higher than the apartment in Frederick) I really would like a certain apartment near Ballard Creek in Frederick but the commute worries me and I'm assuming the gas makes up for rent? I guess here are my questions:

- Although the rent is higher in Rockville than Frederick, would it be smarter/better off to rent near work to save both commute time and gas? Less-wear on vehicle too?

- I hear Montgomery County is very expensive to live in, I guess long term wise too. Is it true that there is no rent control and rent/everything usually rises a lot? What about Frederick?

- Is traffic really THAT bad going down towards North Rockville? How long does normally take? any chance of 20-30min?

- Long-term wise what is the best place to settle in? As of right now I'm renting but maybe in a few years I may buy, but in terms of cost of living what place offers a more consistent cost of living? as in not raising constantly by insane amounts?

- Safety wise how is it compared to North Rockville (not downtown) compared to Ballenger Creek area in Frederick? I know there is no such thing as a perfect place but I mean less shady and less chance of getting robbed, etc.

- If you have general advice on the two I'd love to hear it.

Apartments I've looked at:

Frederick:
Reserve at Ballenger Creek (seems legitimate): Reserve at Ballenger Creek-Frederick

Rockville:
Eaves at Washingtonian Center
North Potomac Apartments in Maryland | eaves Washingtonian Center - Avalon Bay

Gables Upper Rock
Gables Upper Rock Apartments: Photos, Floorplans, Availability and Pricing. Address: 70 Upper Rock Cir., Rockville, MD. Luxury Gables Apartments for Rent.

Reviews aren't the greatest for many of the apartments closer to work but it can't be as be as some complainers make it?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
The 20-30 minute commute during rush hour isn't going to happen. I haven't lived in Frederick for awhile now (could it be 7-8 years!!) but I would double that time as an average.

My two cents would be to rent near where you work. As you explore the area, you will get a better feel for whether the extra commute time is worth the money you would save in rent. You will also find out what area's vibe fits you best. In short, Frederick City is a small old urban core with a large ring of suburbia surrounding it. Beyond that you have a lot of farm country and some mountains. Rockville is more D.C. centric, less open space, but closer to D.C. and the "stuff to do" there that people seem to like.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The 20-30 minute commute during rush hour isn't going to happen. I haven't lived in Frederick for awhile now (could it be 7-8 years!!) but I would double that time as an average.

My two cents would be to rent near where you work. As you explore the area, you will get a better feel for whether the extra commute time is worth the money you would save in rent. You will also find out what area's vibe fits you best. In short, Frederick City is a small old urban core with a large ring of suburbia surrounding it. Beyond that you have a lot of farm country and some mountains. Rockville is more D.C. centric, less open space, but closer to D.C. and the "stuff to do" there that people seem to like.
Thank you. Well my work is flexible hours. I can start at 10 am and leave at 6:30 or 7? How about commute around those timeS?

Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,163 times
Just abut the traffic: ITS REAALY BAD!!!
Even though your hours are flexible, I would rent something near where you will work.
Really bad traffic....reaaaally bed"

Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlifeinGod View Post
Just abut the traffic: ITS REAALY BAD!!!
Even though your hours are flexible, I would rent something near where you will work.
Really bad traffic....reaaaally bed"
So you recommend spending more in rent/less in fuel and living closer to work? Are you familiar with Montgomery county cost of living? is it really that bad? or is it worth it compared to that commute, etc? Thanks

Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustachio View Post
Thank you. Well my work is flexible hours. I can start at 10 am and leave at 6:30 or 7? How about commute around those timeS?
I doubt that time frame would help you much. My old condo had a decent view of I-270 north into Frederick (we lived close to Ballenger Creek, but inside the city line) and you could see the headlights creep along back into Frederick until at least 7:00pm on weekdays. People do make the commute (obviously) but it takes a special sort to be willing to spend that much time in a car every day.

If you are that type of person, Frederick is a option. If you aren't, it isn't. If you aren't sure about the commute, it is better to have your first apt. be close to were you work. You can always try the Frederick/Rockville drive during your work hours to get a feel for it sometime during your first lease. If you choose Frederick first, you could get locked in to a drive you may not want to make until the lease is up.

Of course, if you have the option of visiting first, it is easy enough to get a hotel in Frederick and try the drive in during your work hours to get a feel for it.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I always prefer to live closer to work. It's not been possible, but it's better than the long commute. 30 min is what it would take in light traffic. 45-60 minutes is more like what it will be.

As for the apartments at Washingtonian, I like the area, but I haven't heard positive reviews about living in them. The commute from there would be pretty good though.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I am very interested in either Gables at Upper Rock or The Villages at Decoverly.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:04 PM

Does anybody know about either one of those above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland