Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 AM

64 posts, read 121,740 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am making this post to get any advice on good places to live between Ft. Meade and Waldorf. The reason I say these two locations is because I will be working at Ft. Meade and my wife is teaching in Waldorf. After reading tons of posts on this forum I am pretty confident we would prefer to live in Anne Arundel County rather than PG, especially since we have a young daughter and plan to have more children who will eventually attend public schools most likely. I wouldn't necessarily rule out PG county because I know it can be nice and we do have a little bit of time before we have to worry about schools since my daughter is less than a year old but I am just thinking long term.

We currently live in La Plata but would be looking to move somewhere in between Meade and Waldorf, somewhere that offers a similar feel to La Plata in the sense that it is a little more rural but also still offers things such as a gym, grocery stores, and other things to do within a reasonable distance.

Anne Arundel seems to have some rural areas that are very beautiful and housing seems to be more reasonable than in some of the areas closer to DC. Could anyone give me any insight into good places to live that would offer both of us a reasonable commute to our jobs and also a nice place to live for a young family? I am 28 and she is 25.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any useful help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 06:33 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Dunkirk area in Calvert.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
What's your budget?
What's your 'reasonable distance (how close or far) for stores and amenities?
Do you want to be close to water?
How 'rural' are you willing to be? Or do you want walkable streets or some newer home 'development?'
Also IF you can't be centrally located who are you both wiling to let have the longest commute...and how long to do want the LONGER commute to be.

I ask because Dunkirk in Calvert is a lot closer to Waldorf than Fort Meade. Not an even commute at all.
It fits the bill for the other things you mentioned. So North Beach Person's suggestion is absolutely right on that score though.

How about Lothian or Harwood? I like the Davidsonville area, but it's a little bit closer to Fort Meade than it is to Waldorf.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:54 AM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
It's an almost straight shot to Meade while Waldorf is a "can't get there from here" situation. You go one way and then have to reverse direction.

I've done both and the time is similar.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:14 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Crofton was the first place I thought of.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:27 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
I agree with Dave on his Crofton recommendation. There are many military families in the Crofton area; google it and see if the schools and neighborhood are what you have in mind. Its going to be closer to Fort Meade than Waldorf, but still, distance wise it is quite doable. I have friends who are happy in Lothian as well; its cheaper than Crofton, but more rural if that's what you're looking for.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Rough stretch there. That's basically all of PG county.
Bowie? Even then that's a maybe.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:29 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Crofton. I'd also check nearby Gambrills.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 AM

132 posts, read 325,225 times
Crofton, Davidsonville, Edgewater, Harwood, and Shady Side are all places to look at.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Crofton/Gambrils has lots more shopping close by. Gambrils is north of Crofton so much closer to Fort Meade than Waldorf. So the Fort Meade person would have the shorter commute.

The other places are much more 'rural' with stores (or at least major shopping) farther away. And more than likely no sidewalks, they're not necessarily walking communities. So schools and playmates are likely driving distance. And a car is a necessity.

I'll say again these considerations would help our suggestions....
- budget?
- What's your 'reasonable distance (how close or far) for stores and amenities?
- close to water?
- How 'rural' are you willing to be? Or do you want walkable streets or some newer home 'development?'
- Also IF you can't be centrally located who are you both wiling to let have the longest commute...and how long to do want the LONGER commute to be.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland