U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 PM

30 posts, read 59,143 times

Advertisements

City Data,
I'm looking to move to Fort Meade, MD area and potentially buy a house soon after moving.

I'm looking for an area within 30 minutes - north/south/east/west of Fort Meade that has:
  • A downtown with shops and restaurants
  • Good or great schools
  • Price range up to $250k
  • 2 bedroom+ , 1.5 bathroom +

I'm looking to visit some areas of towns, but need some pointers from someone who has - been there done that.

I have family in Annapolis, and Ellicott City - but I'm open to hearing others opinions (including these (2) areas if you agree, or entirely different areas (within 30 mins of Fort Meade).

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 06:44 PM

11,685 posts, read 20,979,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd751 View Post
I have family in Annapolis, and Ellicott City - but I'm open to hearing others opinions (including these (2) areas if you agree, or entirely different areas (within 30 mins of Fort Meade).
Annapolis and Ellicott City are the two obvious areas with any downtown. The rest of the area around Ft. Meade is very suburban and does not have real "downtowns". Catonsville might also work for you if you settle for an older townhouse. The Cherry Tree area of Fulton might have some condos in your price range and it has a small neo-urban area.

Do you actually have school age children yet, or are you just specifying good schools for resale value? The general problem is that in areas with good schools (like Ellicott City) you will find condominiums are the only thing in your price range. OTOH, you can get a townhouse or SFH in areas like Laurel which have less good schools.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:53 AM

132 posts, read 261,006 times
I also moved the Ft. Meade area a few months ago. The schools in Anne Arundel County are fine. My husband decided on the schools my kids would attend. He chose between four school districts. We moved to Arnold (East of Downtown Annapolis). The schools in Anne Arundel County are fine The school here is Broadneck High School, which is known to be one of the county's best. There are a some other "top notch" schools in Anne Arundel County. Those schools are Severna Park, Arundel, and South River. However, there are many other very good school districts in this county you may like, which are cheaper to live in too. Pasadena is a nice area with nice schools, and the housing there is cheaper. Pasadena is near Baltimore, Annapolis, and Fort Meade. Linthicum is also a nice area with nice schools, and housing there is cheaper. Its also near Ellicott City, BWI, and Fort Meade. Its not too far from Annapolis either, and located right outside of Baltimore (which has a Downtown).

Old 08-17-2014, 11:30 AM

30 posts, read 59,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Annapolis and Ellicott City are the two obvious areas with any downtown. The rest of the area around Ft. Meade is very suburban and does not have real "downtowns". Catonsville might also work for you if you settle for an older townhouse. The Cherry Tree area of Fulton might have some condos in your price range and it has a small neo-urban area.

Do you actually have school age children yet, or are you just specifying good schools for resale value? The general problem is that in areas with good schools (like Ellicott City) you will find condominiums are the only thing in your price range. OTOH, you can get a townhouse or SFH in areas like Laurel which have less good schools.
No children (yet), but within the next few years

Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM

11,685 posts, read 20,979,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd751 View Post
No children (yet), but within the next few years
It wasn't clear whether you were expecting to find a single family house for under $250K or whether you were OK with a townhouse or condo.

As the other poster suggested, the housing is less expensive in parts of Anne Arundel County like Linthicum. It is nearly impossible to find a SFH in Ellicott City for $250K.

If you don't have children yet, I'd also suggest looking at Hanover in the area around Arundel Mills Mall. It has new condos and looks like a fun place to live.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:57 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,846,369 times
Ellicott City has great schools and the downtown area you're looking for, but the price tag you are looking at might be difficult. Also, its an historic downtown, don't know if that's your thing or not. If you'd consider someplace more modern like Columbia, which is just south of Ellicott City, you might like it too. Not a traditional downtown but google Columbia and you'll learn about the different villages. Most military families who consider schools a priority will focus their searches on the areas I mentioned above as well as Odenton (Piney Orchard area, zip 21113), Crofton (21114), Severna Park and Arnold. Those will keep your commute to under 30 minutes to Fort Meade. Your budget though will ultimately be the deciding factor in this area. We love it here personally!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland