U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-18-2014, 12:16 PM
 
5,292 posts, read 5,872,947 times
Reputation: 1132

Advertisements

*Interesting


Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July

[LEFT]
Read more: Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

By Jamie Smith Hopkins, The Baltimore Sun 10:32 a.m. EDT, August 18, 2014

Maryland's unemployment rate shot up in July as employers cut 9,000 jobs, one of the largest drops in the country, the federal government said Monday.
The estimates could be revised later -- possibly in a substantial way. But the U.S. Department of Labor's first snapshot of the state's employment picture last month suggests that the bulk of the reductions hit two sectors: government and the education and health services industry.
Maryland's unemployment rate jumped from 5.8 percent in June to 6.1 percent in July. That's close to the nation's 6.2 percent jobless rate.

Only Ohio lost more jobs in July, the Labor Department estimated. Most of the country -- 36 states and Washington, D.C. -- gained jobs that month, the agency said.




[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,803,559 times
Reputation: 2177
Not surprising. As expected, the sequester, govt shutdown, etc. have gouged the region. At least we aren't in the budget trouble VA is finding themselves in; they're going to be digging themselves out of a pretty massive hole, unless they get another two+ wars this decade to funnel hundreds of billions towards their military/defense contractors again, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,011 posts, read 44,584,437 times
Reputation: 45264
The sequester was several months ago. I know that it's the reason du jour and the O'Malley party line but I really don't see the connection to the July rate.

I'll bring the smoke, someone else can bring the mirrors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
 
1,842 posts, read 1,803,559 times
Reputation: 2177
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The sequester was several months ago. I know that it's the reason du jour and the O'Malley party line but I really don't see the connection to the July rate.

I'll bring the smoke, someone else can bring the mirrors.
Huh? I'm guessing you're confused about what the sequester was. Here's some basic info:
Budget sequestration in 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,011 posts, read 44,584,437 times
Reputation: 45264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Huh? I'm guessing you're confused about what the sequester was. Here's some basic info:
Budget sequestration in 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not confused at all. Just not buying that it caused the unemployment rise. A lot of programs down here at PAX were set to sunset or move to other testing areas, primarily Edwards AFB, anyway.

As a note, Basu (the economic analyst quoted and who I've known for about ten years) has been warning about this dependence for quite awhile. Ehrlich paid attention, O' Malley hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM
 
41,209 posts, read 17,756,445 times
Reputation: 9520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Interesting


Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July

[LEFT]
Read more: Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

By Jamie Smith Hopkins, The Baltimore Sun 10:32 a.m. EDT, August 18, 2014

Maryland's unemployment rate shot up in July as employers cut 9,000 jobs, one of the largest drops in the country, the federal government said Monday.
The estimates could be revised later -- possibly in a substantial way. But the U.S. Department of Labor's first snapshot of the state's employment picture last month suggests that the bulk of the reductions hit two sectors: government and the education and health services industry.
Maryland's unemployment rate jumped from 5.8 percent in June to 6.1 percent in July. That's close to the nation's 6.2 percent jobless rate.

Only Ohio lost more jobs in July, the Labor Department estimated. Most of the country -- 36 states and Washington, D.C. -- gained jobs that month, the agency said.




[/LEFT]
"suggests that the bulk of the reductions hit two sectors: government and the education and health services industry."

That should make all those dem voters happy.

I thought education and health service industry were 2 different sectors.

Translation, government workers, union teachers and Obama Care.

Sometimes you get what you vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top