Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 12:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,386,607 times

Advertisements

*Interesting

Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July

[LEFT]
Read more: Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

By Jamie Smith Hopkins, The Baltimore Sun 10:32 a.m. EDT, August 18, 2014

Maryland's unemployment rate shot up in July as employers cut 9,000 jobs, one of the largest drops in the country, the federal government said Monday.
The estimates could be revised later -- possibly in a substantial way. But the U.S. Department of Labor's first snapshot of the state's employment picture last month suggests that the bulk of the reductions hit two sectors: government and the education and health services industry.
Maryland's unemployment rate jumped from 5.8 percent in June to 6.1 percent in July. That's close to the nation's 6.2 percent jobless rate.

Only Ohio lost more jobs in July, the Labor Department estimated. Most of the country -- 36 states and Washington, D.C. -- gained jobs that month, the agency said.

[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,666,711 times
Not surprising. As expected, the sequester, govt shutdown, etc. have gouged the region. At least we aren't in the budget trouble VA is finding themselves in; they're going to be digging themselves out of a pretty massive hole, unless they get another two+ wars this decade to funnel hundreds of billions towards their military/defense contractors again, of course.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:57 PM

45,088 posts, read 60,158,471 times
The sequester was several months ago. I know that it's the reason du jour and the O'Malley party line but I really don't see the connection to the July rate.

I'll bring the smoke, someone else can bring the mirrors.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:10 PM

2,178 posts, read 2,666,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The sequester was several months ago. I know that it's the reason du jour and the O'Malley party line but I really don't see the connection to the July rate.

I'll bring the smoke, someone else can bring the mirrors.
Huh? I'm guessing you're confused about what the sequester was. Here's some basic info:
Budget sequestration in 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM

45,088 posts, read 60,158,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Huh? I'm guessing you're confused about what the sequester was. Here's some basic info:
Budget sequestration in 2013 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not confused at all. Just not buying that it caused the unemployment rise. A lot of programs down here at PAX were set to sunset or move to other testing areas, primarily Edwards AFB, anyway.

As a note, Basu (the economic analyst quoted and who I've known for about ten years) has been warning about this dependence for quite awhile. Ehrlich paid attention, O' Malley hasn't.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:27 PM

58,681 posts, read 27,030,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
*Interesting

Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July

[LEFT]
Read more: Maryland sees one of nation's largest job declines in July - baltimoresun.com

By Jamie Smith Hopkins, The Baltimore Sun 10:32 a.m. EDT, August 18, 2014

Maryland's unemployment rate shot up in July as employers cut 9,000 jobs, one of the largest drops in the country, the federal government said Monday.
The estimates could be revised later -- possibly in a substantial way. But the U.S. Department of Labor's first snapshot of the state's employment picture last month suggests that the bulk of the reductions hit two sectors: government and the education and health services industry.
Maryland's unemployment rate jumped from 5.8 percent in June to 6.1 percent in July. That's close to the nation's 6.2 percent jobless rate.

Only Ohio lost more jobs in July, the Labor Department estimated. Most of the country -- 36 states and Washington, D.C. -- gained jobs that month, the agency said.

[/LEFT]
"suggests that the bulk of the reductions hit two sectors: government and the education and health services industry."

That should make all those dem voters happy.

I thought education and health service industry were 2 different sectors.

Translation, government workers, union teachers and Obama Care.

Sometimes you get what you vote for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland