U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Maryland ever a southern state?
Yes, it was once southern 26 83.87%
No, it was never southern 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM

35,123 posts, read 44,940,551 times

Advertisements

You know, this crap needs to end.

Maryland has now, always has had, and will likely to continue to have, a plantation style political system. Many Counties have to have Legislative approval for things like setting the tax rate and placing bonds, a very Southern phenomenon which is not really seen in the North.

In the North school systems are organized around towns/cities while in Maryland, and most of the rest of the South, they're organized at the County level.

Those are just a couple examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM

5,295 posts, read 8,557,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Huh? How could it be a border state and a southern state at the same time?
I wrote "Southern, at least in part." That is what a border state is, a state that is Southern in part, and Northern in part.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 PM

1,309 posts, read 957,433 times
Maryland isn't a Southern state. It has its share of rednecks but by that logic, any state with rural people is Southern. They weren't part of the Confederacy, they didn't have their politicians sign the Southern Manifesto supporting segregation and is heavily Democratic. It's people ignorant about geography and American culture who would even get a half baked notion like that.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:36 PM

5,295 posts, read 8,557,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You know, this crap needs to end.

Maryland has now, always has had, and will likely to continue to have, a plantation style political system. Many Counties have to have Legislative approval for things like setting the tax rate and placing bonds, a very Southern phenomenon which is not really seen in the North.

In the North school systems are organized around towns/cities while in Maryland, and most of the rest of the South, they're organized at the County level.

Those are just a couple examples.
I'm enjoying this one.

I tried to write my senior seminar paper some 18 years ago on the historiography of Appalachian Maryland. What I found was that not only was Maryland rarely even mentioned in any books on Appalachia, but Appalachia itself was not defined by any consistent criteria from book to book, author to author. It was a construct that was bended to fit many definitions.

So, instead of switching topics, I wrote a social science paper for my history project about a new way to try and define and delimit Appalachia using a set of uniform criteria, then applied those criteria to Western Maryland and concluded it was in Appalachia. My history teachers weren't amused, but paper was well written and my defense of the idea was spirited enough to get me a B.

Fast forward to this summer and I stumbled upon the field of cladistics. Viola! My idea wasn't original after all. The more I read about cladistics, the more I realize its general principles can help solve nearly organizational or developmental question that is an analog to phylogeny in biology.

BajanYankee reminded me of my old idea from nearly 20 years ago, and I think I finally have a way to find the answer to this question about regional identity.......not that anyone really wants to have an answer.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:06 PM

104 posts, read 130,302 times
"The Mason-Dixon Line is the most traditional border between North and South, and to some extent the line made sense in its time. Maryland was a slave state, home to the likes of Frederick Douglas and Harriet Tubman, and Lincoln had to send federal troops into Baltimore to quell secessionist riots -- all suggesting Maryland was a southern state."

Where Does the South Begin? - The Atlantic

Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,672,329 times
Missing the option of "was and still is"

Old 08-28-2014, 06:41 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,736,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Missing the option of "was and is no longer"
Fixed that for you.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 PM

3,587 posts, read 2,672,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Fixed that for you.
When did Maryland secede?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 PM

3,616 posts, read 3,663,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
One source? Big deal.
One source that I had at hand and one of the leading historions of the Civil War Era. Do you have a source that calls Maryland a Northern State?

Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 PM

3,776 posts, read 5,340,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Yeah they had slaves. But Maryland didn't secede. Didn't New York have slaves?
*Maryland didn't secede, only because thousands of Union troops were stationed there throughout the war, to keep the nation's capital from potentially being surrounded by Confederate territory.
*Union authorities threw the Mayor of Baltimore and the newspaper editor in prison at Fort McHenry for the whole duration of the war because of their secessionist beliefs. Baltimore's merchant economy depended greatly on shipping and commerce with Tidewater Virginia.
*The entire Confederate Navy had only 2 Admirals (Raphael Semmes, and Franklin Buchanan), and they were both from Maryland.
*Assassin, J.W. Booth was from Bel Air, MD.
*There was only one vote cast for Abraham Lincoln in all of Prince Georges County.
*The first shots ever fired in the Civil War, were fired by a mob in Baltimore at a unit of Massachusetts soldiers as they marched between the President Street and the Camden Yards train stations, headed south. There is a museum in "Little Italy" devoted just to this incident.
*The county court house in Rockville has a Confederate soldier statue, and there is a Lee Park and statue in northern Baltimore.
*A home for aged Confederate veterans was established in Pikesville, in northern MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or