Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Maryland ever a southern state?
Yes, it was once southern 26 83.87%
No, it was never southern 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 AM

320 posts, read 578,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I never mentioned slavery.
Slavery was part if the south. Do you believe that Maryland was a southern state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 AM

74 posts, read 95,041 times
I grew up in Maryland from the time I was born till I was 16 and to be honest with you, for a long time, I always believed Maryland was Northern simply because there really wasn't anything "southern" about it as far as when I was coming up. Even Southern Maryland didn't feel like the "South" so to speak, just a bunch hicks running around down there which you could find in any state whether southern or northern. I currently live in the middle of Virginia which is the real South compared to anything I ever experienced in Maryland. Not to mention I remember the news and the Washington Post on more than one occasion refer to Maryland as a Northern state. But at this point who really knows. I feel like this will forever be a on-going debate. I will say this, I remember about 12 years ago I had rode north past Baltimore (maybe about 10 minutes north of the city) on a stretch of I-95, and I had looked over in this wooded area in Maryland off of the interstate and there was this old raggedy looking cabin sitting in the middle of it with a confederate flag hanging from the chimney. Lol! Go figure.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:16 AM

490 posts, read 924,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Maryland isn't a Southern state. It has its share of rednecks but by that logic, any state with rural people is Southern. They weren't part of the Confederacy, they didn't have their politicians sign the Southern Manifesto supporting segregation and is heavily Democratic. It's people ignorant about geography and American culture who would even get a half baked notion like that.

100% Agree!!!! Well said

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVboy View Post
I grew up in Maryland from the time I was born till I was 16 and to be honest with you, for a long time, I always believed Maryland was Northern simply because there really wasn't anything "southern" about it as far as when I was coming up. Even Southern Maryland didn't feel like the "South" so to speak, just a bunch hicks running around down there which you could find in any state whether southern or northern. I currently live in the middle of Virginia which is the real South compared to anything I ever experienced in Maryland. Not to mention I remember the news and the Washington Post on more than one occasion refer to Maryland as a Northern state. But at this point who really knows. I feel like this will forever be a on-going debate. I will say this, I remember about 12 years ago I had rode north past Baltimore (maybe about 10 minutes north of the city) on a stretch of I-95, and I had looked over in this wooded area in Maryland off of the interstate and there was this old raggedy looking cabin sitting in the middle of it with a confederate flag hanging from the chimney. Lol! Go figure.
Good post. And lol, people also claimed to have spotted confederate flags in South Jersey and I think there was an incident in or near the Philly area involving a displayed confederate flag some years ago. Seems the traitors still have their sympthazers up here I guess.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I voted that Maryland was once southern based on the number of slave-owners and Confederate sympathizers in Prince George and Montgomery during the Civil War period. John Wilkes Booth fled into Prince George County after killing Lincoln because he knew sympathizers were there.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 AM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I voted that Maryland was once southern based on the number of slave-owners and Confederate sympathizers in Prince George and Montgomery during the Civil War period. John Wilkes Booth fled into Prince George County after killing Lincoln because he knew sympathizers were there.
But even after the Civil War. For example, what drove the Census Bureau's decision to place Maryland in the South in 1910 (why would geographers put DC and MD in the South when they were part of "the North" during the Civil War?). And how much weight do we accord the fact that Maryland joined the Southern Legislative Conference and Southern Governors Association at a time when Jim Crow was at its height?

Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 AM

74 posts, read 95,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Good post. And lol, people also claimed to have spotted confederate flags in South Jersey and I think there was an incident in or near the Philly area involving a displayed confederate flag some years ago. Seems the traitors still have their sympthazers up here I guess.
Yeah I remember my cousin told me probably about 5 years ago she was riding through PA, a few miles west of Philly to be exact, and she told me the town she was riding through had confederate flags on the country stores and houses that all lined up along the highway she was riding on. It was so bad until she told me if you didn't know any better, you would've thought you were in Alabama somewhere. Lol.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,433 times
Quote:
Yeah I remember my cousin told me probably about 5 years ago she was riding through PA, a few miles west of Philly to be exact, and she told me the town she was riding through had confederate flags on the country stores and houses that all lined up along the highway she was riding on. It was so bad until she told me if you didn't know any better, you would've thought you were in Alabama somewhere. Lol.
"Between Paoli and Penn Hills, Pennsylvania is Alabama without the blacks. They didn't film The Deer Hunter there for nothing -- the state has the second-highest concentration of NRA members, behind Texas." - James Carville

Old 09-01-2014, 02:36 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
I think that the deciding factor is southern accents.

The last time Maryland would have been part of the south was when the majority of Marylanders spoke with southern accents, or at least when it was very prevalent throughout the state.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Sounds like someone was approaching Ghettysburg. A "little" misunderstanding between the two sides happened there in 1863.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland