U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Was Maryland ever a southern state?
Yes, it was once southern 26 83.87%
No, it was never southern 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2014, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,473 posts, read 27,679,176 times
Reputation: 12488

Advertisements

**The question is not whether Maryland is currently a southern state**

The question is whether Maryland was historically a southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2014, 04:00 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,940 posts, read 65,858,164 times
Reputation: 35037
Were the other 4000 posts and 20 threads on this topic really not enough for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,473 posts, read 27,679,176 times
Reputation: 12488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Were the other 4000 posts and 20 threads on this topic really not enough for you?
I searched the forum and found no such topic. There's a difference between is and was after all. I'm asking about the historical regional identity of the state, not its current one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 05:44 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,007 posts, read 44,576,664 times
Reputation: 45244
I don't know, what do you think?

141st commemoration of Maryland Confederate Memorial Day

Welcome to Confederate Memorial Park, Inc.

Images for Confederate memorials in Maryland:

https://www.google.com/search?q=conf...w=1366&bih=643

The lyrics for the official State Song:

Maryland, My Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Damn, it's a long ass song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,954 posts, read 2,707,465 times
Reputation: 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
**The question is not whether Maryland is currently a southern state**

The question is whether Maryland was historically a southern state.
The Mason-Dixon Line, which separates the Northern states from the Southern states, was drawn between Pennsylvania (the southernmost Northern state) and Maryland (the northernmost Southern state) and establishes the boundary between these two states.

I think this should answer your question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,940 posts, read 65,858,164 times
Reputation: 35037
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The Mason-Dixon Line, which separates the Northern states from the Southern states, was drawn between Pennsylvania (the southernmost Northern state) and Maryland (the northernmost Southern state) and establishes the boundary between these two states.

I think this should answer your question.
It should but that doesn't leave the door open for continued debate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
 
3,487 posts, read 3,590,692 times
Reputation: 4300
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
The Mason-Dixon Line, which separates the Northern states from the Southern states, was drawn between Pennsylvania (the southernmost Northern state) and Maryland (the northernmost Southern state) and establishes the boundary between these two states.

I think this should answer your question.
All the Mason-Dixon line is is a boundary between states. It has no official standing as a divider of 'North' and 'South'. That said Maryland was considered a Southern state by many. Like Virginia and North Carolina the eastern areas (generally the Tidewater) was compsed of larger plantations and estates. The more mountainous areas in the western part of the states were composed of smaller farms with a small slave population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,473 posts, read 27,679,176 times
Reputation: 12488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
All the Mason-Dixon line is is a boundary between states. It has no official standing as a divider of 'North' and 'South'. That said Maryland was considered a Southern state by many. Like Virginia and North Carolina the eastern areas (generally the Tidewater) was compsed of larger plantations and estates. The more mountainous areas in the western part of the states were composed of smaller farms with a small slave population.
So here's the thing...

Maryland joined the Southern Council of Governments and the Southern Governors Association. It was also a Jim Crow State. That said, why does any of that mean that Maryland was necessarily southern. How do you prove it was a southern state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
5,268 posts, read 8,498,746 times
Reputation: 3713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So here's the thing...

Maryland joined the Southern Council of Governments and the Southern Governors Association. It was also a Jim Crow State. That said, why does any of that mean that Maryland was necessarily southern. How do you prove it was a southern state?
You find a set of identifiable and measureable traits like

- dialect
- settlement patterns
- government organization
- customs and folkways
- cuisine
- self identity
- climate
- geography


than apply those traits to multiple states and see how they naturally group together based on the identified criteria.......or don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2014, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
29,473 posts, read 27,679,176 times
Reputation: 12488
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
You find a set of identifiable and measureable traits like

- dialect
- settlement patterns
- government organization
- customs and folkways
- cuisine
- self identity
- climate
- geography


than apply those traits to multiple states and see how they naturally group together based on the identified criteria.......or don't.
But even then, I could say that the state had characteristics of north and south, and was never either. What evidence is there that Maryland was a part of the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top