U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM

1,309 posts, read 957,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Like I said, you aren't the target audience, you are probably not even aware the contrast campaign is going on, even though you are clearly aware of the issue. No need to waste resources on sheep already in the pen, remember?

As for being paid, I wish I was! My work up here is slow this season. We have a few interesting races, but none where the candidates are paying much out for campaign services. I don't do state level work.......although I have seen some of the analytical work the state GOP folks put out, and it isn't very impressive.
I can see why you're such a fan of Hogan, sharing the same condescending manner talking to people as if they are idiots. I suppose in your minds people will find it quite sincere that an adult naturally goes from supporting a Human Life Amendment to being a defender of abortion in television ads. I'd be pretty irate if I were a Hogan donor and saw these asinine ads with him pretending to hold liberal positions on an issue few people care about but I'm sure you and Hogan know better than me and he will get the last laugh in the governor's mansion as a women's rights champion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:56 PM

23,837 posts, read 20,581,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
lol anyone seeing Hogan's pathetic ads with his daughter talking about how pro choice he is and how he supports unfettered access to contraceptives and birth control for women? Isn't his campaign supposed to be about lowering taxes and cutting government yet I see Hogan's pro birth control ad 10x a day. He's essentially giving a feeble "me too" to an issue Brown has been solid on, very pathetic. I had the privilege to meet Mr. Hogan's campaign manager, twitchy and not overly friendly guy, he quickly excused himself and I saw him in a corner guzzling a bottle of mouthwash.
Oooooohhhhhh! Mouthwash! So damning!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:31 AM

5,295 posts, read 8,557,232 times
Quote:
I can see why you're such a fan of Hogan, sharing the same condescending manner talking to people as if they are idiots. I suppose in your minds people will find it quite sincere that an adult naturally goes from supporting a Human Life Amendment to being a defender of abortion in television ads. I'd be pretty irate if I were a Hogan donor and saw these asinine ads with him pretending to hold liberal positions on an issue few people care about but I'm sure you and Hogan know better than me and he will get the last laugh in the governor's mansion as a women's rights champion
I'm not a Hogan fan....I have minimal interest in what GOP candidate gets defeated by whomever has the D by their name on the ballot. It is a waste of time and effort. If he is within 5% or so on election day, I may throw him a bone. If not, I will likely pick a third party candidate.

You haven't changed a bit A.J. Anyone that disagrees with you must fit into some narrow box you have constructed in your own mind. You still create fictions and proclaim them as truth to explain the behaviors of those you can't understand, nor debate on the level with (I must work for Hogan, I am 70 years old, whatever childish accusation sticks in your mind.) It sure makes the world easier to understand than trying to contemplate the nuance of individuals not wedded to one political party or the other. There will be plenty of Ds on my ballot in about a month. Lt. Gov. Brown will not be one of them. I don't think he is competent, dynamic, or has anything new to offer that we haven't already seen in the MOM years.

The only reason I am having this conversation with you (I had you blocked before) is that you are completely in dark on why that ad campaign was being run, and to point out to you once again that your opinion and knowledge on politics is similar to how 8 year old boys discuss the latest Justice League episode. Good guys, bad guys, fake fights; people like you drink it all down.

Politics is the theatre of the absurd, and you are the guy in the front munching the popcorn twisting and turning with every plot device, but always pulling for the guy in the blue latex suit over the guy in the red one. Folks like me have to accept that folks like you exist........and keep finding ways to screen you out of our voter contact efforts, for both Ds and Rs, alike. The penned sheep needs no shepherding, only enough grass to eat to keep so you stay complacent with the status quo.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:53 AM

687 posts, read 734,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
For the first time in my life I am strongly considering voting Republican. I feel very strongly about liberal social issues but the tax and spend pattern in our state is getting out of control.
Awesome, thanks Dave. I'm glad more and more are waking up to being fleeced.

Not only are taxes high, but fraud/waste/abuse seems to be PROLIFIC in this state (corruption is seeping everywhere in this country, but in Maryland it is almost at New Jersey and Chicago levels).

Old 10-11-2014, 10:02 AM

8,235 posts, read 22,920,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Now this may be slightly disingenuous of me, but while I identify myself as an independent voter, I am also a realist. I live here in Baltimore, Maryland, where the Democratic party controls the City, and the State, especially the City.
The only way to make any kind of difference in local politics is to be able to vote in the primary election of the party that is pretty much guaranteed to put their candidate in office. Hence, I register as a Democrat to be able to vote in the primary for the least undesirable of candidates running.
In the general election, I vote my conscience and my leanings.
Surely, I can't be the only one doing this?
Or am I?
Is there an error in my thinking this way, and thus voting accordingly?
Anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Primaries are designed and intended to pick a candidate for a particular Party. Therefore, people not registered with that Party, or registered as an Independent/Not Affiliated, should have no say in the process.

You want to help pick, or stop, a particular candidate then register as that Party.
Both;

There have been a few studies done on the independent voter. The majority of which, it turns out, are not truly independent but instead independent leaning. For example, in Massachusetts there are more registered Democrats than Republicans but ~54% of the registered voters are independents. The state tends to vote Blue. In Alaska, there are more registered Republicans than Democrats yet like Mass. 54% of the registered voters are independents. Alaska tends to vote Red. Independents are also lumped into the "other Political Party" group, and this group has the lowest voter turnout, often times in the single digits.

As B.K. mentioned, there are some number of independents who register for a particular Party so they can vote in the primary for the person they would have voted for anyways, once again because most independents are not truly independent.

The idea that independents could (or even would) be used to vote for the "least-likely-to-win-other-guy" is just plain ridiculous since 1). they are more likely, if not entirely, going to cast a vote for the person they like the most to begin with, and, 2). the two most popular Party people are going to get the majority of votes, anyways. My vote in the primary would not have gone to Brown or Hogan. Brown is definitely not getting my vote but that does not mean that Hogan is. I might not vote for either, or vote for Micky Mouse. It is no wonder there is so much voter apathy amongst independents. No one gives a hoot about us until the major election, of course, when they want our swing votes.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:38 AM

5,295 posts, read 8,557,232 times
Quote:
BTW, The Brown contrast ads are being paid for by national Democratic funding because Hogan closed quickly, likely inside of 10 points. The ads are on TV, but with paid Facebook plugs to the YouTube version for the subsegment of the market they wish to reach.

Again, if you are on Facebook and not seeing these ads in your feed, the the Dems are targeting correctly by not wasting resources on voters like you. The level of sophistication in targeting is really impressive these days. Now contrast what Brown is doing, with what Hogan is doing. By going with TV ads that reach too wide an audience, Hogan is pulling a "MacBeth" and protesting a bit too loudly methinks, and showing people outside the original target audience that there is a point of difference on this issue that he needs to address.

Like I said, I don't get paid state work. The Dems know what they are doing and our little corner of the state isn't worth much spending money on for additional campaign advice or resources. The GOP is trying to build up a state level war chest and one stop sources for their candidates, but are still way behind in terms of competence and money. It may very well be an area I can break into, but for now I am only being shown some of their work to double check it, not for money, but in exchange for information........which is worth as much to someone like me who often is a go between for groups that otherwise wouldn't communicate.

People like me are a lot more common than you think, and you would be wise to value the information I give you for free, since you have nothing to offer me back but entertainment. The fact that you can't tell pearls from stones is unfortunate for you.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:25 PM

35,124 posts, read 44,940,551 times
Quote:
lol anyone seeing Hogan's pathetic ads with his daughter talking about how pro choice he is and how he supports unfettered access to contraceptives and birth control for women? Isn't his campaign supposed to be about lowering taxes and cutting government yet I see Hogan's pro birth control ad 10x a day. He's essentially giving a feeble "me too" to an issue Brown has been solid on, very pathetic. I had the privilege to meet Mr. Hogan's campaign manager, twitchy and not overly friendly guy, he quickly excused himself and I saw him in a corner guzzling a bottle of mouthwash.
Where to start?

If you haven't seen all of Brown's adds then you aren't paying attention. I live in that sweet spot where I receive both the DC and Baltimore marketing, and Brown's in heavy rotation on both.

As to the "campaign manager" I'll call bull **** on that one.

You're slipping AJ.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM

40 tax increases under his Administration and all Anthony Brown wants to do is "talk about the future." Can you blame him? I'd run far, far away from that sorry ass record as well. The problem is, Democrats are running from Martin O'Malley, the race is closing in and Hogan could pull off an upset.

Wouldn't checks and balances be wonderful for Maryland?!

Old 10-16-2014, 12:36 PM

Why would Marylander's support Anthony Brown after decisively turning their backs on his tax-friendly mentor, Martin O'Malley?

//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...ve-martin.html

Old 10-16-2014, 08:18 PM

1,309 posts, read 957,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why would Marylander's support Anthony Brown after decisively turning their backs on his tax-friendly mentor, Martin O'Malley?

//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...ve-martin.html
That's sad to believe Hogan will win and even more sad to promote your thread nobody posted on, best to let it go I'm not so sure the influence of keyboard conservatives will deliver the governor's mansion to Hogan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland