U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 12:07 PM

10,955 posts, read 20,321,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Money for infrastructure = good
State stonewalling any attempts at developing my depopulating area through one-size-fits all growth restrictions = bad

I would gladly give you guys back the money in exchange for the ability to determine policies that work and make sense if our part of the world. Since we are forced to be part of the same state, I say we take the chance a GOP governor gives us and find way to meet in the middle.

btw, Tom lives in West Virginia, I am sure he sees horrible infrastructure each and every day, yet seems happy with where he lives. Money and shiny projects aren't everything in determining quality of life. Sometimes mountains, trees, and a bit of freedom from onerous regulation are enough.
I understand what you are saying and the same can be said in reverse. Issues, culture and priorities in rural areas are different than in more urban areas and it sucks that statewide laws, taxes etc effect all en mass.

But if you live the out-state rural or non-large metro areas in an urbanized state like VA or MD, I think you are pretty much out of luck.

That's why you have states like Oklahoma, Texas etc. If you want a more conservative state, then you are just in the wrong part of the country.

Just know that things are not always better in those low tax states such as MS, AL, LA and as you sort of mentioned, West Virginia. Less government and less taxes often also means lower quality infrastructure, lower quality schools etc. But many people would rather live in a state with terrible schools and roads so long as gay marriage is illegal. It's what ever makes you happy.

I don't care either way. I'm just tired of ultraconservative people in rural areas saying that liberal people in urban areas are the problem and they would be better off seceding from the union or state etc. If you really want half the country to become third world, then sure, secede and pay your way and like I said good luck.

Lots of waste in government and that includes building 200 million dollar road projects in the middle of nowhere to serve 5000 people.

I don't want to fund those projects any more than you want to fund light rail in PG County, Maryland, but we are all in this together and I think a billion dollar transit project that will directly positively effect hundreds of thousands and indirectly positively effect many more by reducing traffic congestion and re-investing in inner suburbs rather than more inefficient sprawl makes far more sense economically than some of these rural projects the state builds so that people can live on 5 acre lots in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 02:02 PM

7,205 posts, read 4,656,354 times
With question 1 passing this time around, as long as we keep a republican governor for a while, the transportation fund will have plenty enough in it for everybody.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:30 PM

5,295 posts, read 8,557,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I understand what you are saying and the same can be said in reverse. Issues, culture and priorities in rural areas are different than in more urban areas and it sucks that statewide laws, taxes etc effect all en mass.

But if you live the out-state rural or non-large metro areas in an urbanized state like VA or MD, I think you are pretty much out of luck.

That's why you have states like Oklahoma, Texas etc. If you want a more conservative state, then you are just in the wrong part of the country.

Just know that things are not always better in those low tax states such as MS, AL, LA and as you sort of mentioned, West Virginia. Less government and less taxes often also means lower quality infrastructure, lower quality schools etc. But many people would rather live in a state with terrible schools and roads so long as gay marriage is illegal. It's what ever makes you happy.

I don't care either way. I'm just tired of ultraconservative people in rural areas saying that liberal people in urban areas are the problem and they would be better off seceding from the union or state etc. If you really want half the country to become third world, then sure, secede and pay your way and like I said good luck.

Lots of waste in government and that includes building 200 million dollar road projects in the middle of nowhere to serve 5000 people.

I don't want to fund those projects any more than you want to fund light rail in PG County, Maryland, but we are all in this together and I think a billion dollar transit project that will directly positively effect hundreds of thousands and indirectly positively effect many more by reducing traffic congestion and re-investing in inner suburbs rather than more inefficient sprawl makes far more sense economically than some of these rural projects the state builds so that people can live on 5 acre lots in the middle of nowhere.
I think contrasting my post and yours is a good illustration of the problem. I agree with you that rural areas suck up money from urban areas, and desire a middle ground solution where you guys get to keep more of your money to spend as you wish, while we are regulated in a way that benefits the needs of our area, which are much different than where you live.

Your response to me? Move to another state.

That certainly is the suburban/transplant mentality in a nutshell isn't it? Just move around from place to place until you find a job, a commute, a public school, a house that fits your price range. It is no big deal, right?

Wrong. Rural people are largely rooted people, especially Appalachian-Americans. My family has lived in Allegany County since the 1750s. I was the 5th generation member of my family to live in the house built with the death benefits from my great-great grandfather's death in the coal mines. I could go on and on, but the point is simple: I want to live here because I value where I am from and wish to pass on over 200 years of oral history, tradition, and sense of place to my own children.

So, suggesting that people who are unhappy with the transplant/suburban one-size fits all mentality on government should just move away is a huge slap in the face. You might as well go tell me to commit suicide, or ship my kids off to live with cousins in another state. Many of us cherish our home, our history, and our traditions that much.

Lastly, there is nothing ultraconservative about Allegany County. Gov. Schaeffer was cheered here when he served. Glendening won Allegany County is 1998. We have only gone "deep red" in our voting habits in the 16 years since because the ground moved under our feet. The agenda of MOM and others in Annapolis that refuses to recognize, accept, and work with the state's very diverse regions for the benefits of us all is a new thing. This was NOT the Democrat or Annapolis way of doing things just 20 years ago. We are really a "lean right" county with a strong traditional blue dog Democrat base. Those blue dogs are almost entirely gone now; unelectable as the people up here have rightly understood that the "D" by your name on a MD state ballot = **** you rural Maryland.

And that is why you saw Larry Hogan put up Saddam Hussein like percentages in the rural parts of the state. We have been beaten down by folks with mentalities like yours for too long and were lucky enough to turn out in a year when the Democratic candidate was weak enough to lose votes in his own party.

My hope is that everyone can work together and create a more inclusive (liberal buzzword alert) state government where everyone has a voice. But I think that is likely a pipe dream. Our state isn't really liberal, it is leftist. Leftists love to tell everyone else what to do, and then shout down those that disagree with their agenda, or in your case just tell us to move away.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:00 PM

568 posts, read 1,236,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Anyone who doesn't follow Tea Party/Rush Limbaugh line lockstep and robotically is a "troll" to the one guy with the 10 screen names who tries to shout down any liberal or moderate who dares to post in "his" section. Hogan's going to get beat like he stole something tonight and I bet the networks call the election the moment polls close in MD
LMAO. Oh Really? Doesn't seem to be the case. Hahaha.

If it's Brown, flush it down!

Old 11-12-2014, 04:36 AM

10,955 posts, read 20,321,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think contrasting my post and yours is a good illustration of the problem. I agree with you that rural areas suck up money from urban areas, and desire a middle ground solution where you guys get to keep more of your money to spend as you wish, while we are regulated in a way that benefits the needs of our area, which are much different than where you live.

Your response to me? Move to another state.

That certainly is the suburban/transplant mentality in a nutshell isn't it? Just move around from place to place until you find a job, a commute, a public school, a house that fits your price range. It is no big deal, right?

Wrong. Rural people are largely rooted people, especially Appalachian-Americans. My family has lived in Allegany County since the 1750s. I was the 5th generation member of my family to live in the house built with the death benefits from my great-great grandfather's death in the coal mines. I could go on and on, but the point is simple: I want to live here because I value where I am from and wish to pass on over 200 years of oral history, tradition, and sense of place to my own children.

So, suggesting that people who are unhappy with the transplant/suburban one-size fits all mentality on government should just move away is a huge slap in the face. You might as well go tell me to commit suicide, or ship my kids off to live with cousins in another state. Many of us cherish our home, our history, and our traditions that much.

Lastly, there is nothing ultraconservative about Allegany County. Gov. Schaeffer was cheered here when he served. Glendening won Allegany County is 1998. We have only gone "deep red" in our voting habits in the 16 years since because the ground moved under our feet. The agenda of MOM and others in Annapolis that refuses to recognize, accept, and work with the state's very diverse regions for the benefits of us all is a new thing. This was NOT the Democrat or Annapolis way of doing things just 20 years ago. We are really a "lean right" county with a strong traditional blue dog Democrat base. Those blue dogs are almost entirely gone now; unelectable as the people up here have rightly understood that the "D" by your name on a MD state ballot = **** you rural Maryland.

And that is why you saw Larry Hogan put up Saddam Hussein like percentages in the rural parts of the state. We have been beaten down by folks with mentalities like yours for too long and were lucky enough to turn out in a year when the Democratic candidate was weak enough to lose votes in his own party.

My hope is that everyone can work together and create a more inclusive (liberal buzzword alert) state government where everyone has a voice. But I think that is likely a pipe dream. Our state isn't really liberal, it is leftist. Leftists love to tell everyone else what to do, and then shout down those that disagree with their agenda, or in your case just tell us to move away.
Pretty much agree. My point wasn't for people to just move even though it came across that way. I'm just saying that it would be tough to be a conservative in rural MD just like it would tough for a liberal in Oklahoma or Texas.

Personally, I hate politics. There is no middle ground, it's extreme one way or the other and nobody can get along. I don't agree with either side on most issues. There is no compromising anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland