U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:08 PM

3,616 posts, read 3,663,275 times

Advertisements

The problem is that even if a Republican governor were elected he would still have NO possibility of accomplishing anything. He would face a Democrat controlled legislature and a bureaucracy put in place by years of Democratic control.

As someone else mentioned look at slots. Ehrlich ran into a brick wall of Democrats in the State House. But as soon as We had a Democratic Governor it sailed through with the support of State House leadership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 AM

7,205 posts, read 4,656,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Short answer, he will win. He is not the right person for Maryland, but he is the right person for central Maryland.

Brown is definitely not going to get my vote (that does not mean that Hogan will).
Is there someone else that could get your vote that has a chance to win? If you don't want Brown to win, and you don't vote for someone who can win the election you are actually voting for Brown. You probably plan to stay home and not vote at all, but just won't admit to it here.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 AM

759 posts, read 1,139,858 times
Back to the OP:
Apparently most Marylanders really do think Anthony Brown is the right fit for the state. Then again, most Marylanders seem to think all kinds of strange things. I predict he will win the election by a larger majority than he won the primary.
I can't really think of much that O'Malley has accomplished that I would call truly positive for the state. Taxes and fees have increased, while services to most residents seem to have decreased.
I recall that when O'Malley took office, the state budget actually had a surplus. Somehow, O'Malley found a way to convince the public that that surplus was actually a deficit, and that the state government actually needed all of that surplus, plus another few BILLION dollars just to get us back into the black. Hmmm....
Anthony Brown seems like a very nice nebbish. Truly a man without a personality. The guy standing in the corner ignored during the cocktail party. However, this also seems to be the biggest problem the Republican party has these days, not just locally but nationally-other than extremist table bangers from the Tea Party there is no-one with enough charisma for voters to get behind in any number.
Ehrlich was truly an anomaly, and his election was largely the result of his opponent Townsend's links to the scandal-ridden Glendening administration-and then it was very close, even with all of the dead Baltimorean vote. I doubt that we will see another Republican Governor in my lifetime.
All of this debate is superfluous actually tho', Miller and Bush run this state. Play ball with them, and a Governor gets things accomplished.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 AM

30,099 posts, read 66,361,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Apparently most Marylanders really do think Anthony Brown is the right fit for the state.
"most" amounts to about 100,000 or so of the 175,000 who could even be arsed to vote.
I don't think either number amounts to "most" in any other context.

Without the also-rans and the Ganzler distraction...
my favorite lesbian pot smoker might have actually had a shot at it.
That breath of fresh air would have done wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSro...hw5qiLb5IbKpMw

Old 09-06-2014, 09:15 AM

5,295 posts, read 8,557,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Is there someone else that could get your vote that has a chance to win? If you don't want Brown to win, and you don't vote for someone who can win the election you are actually voting for Brown. You probably plan to stay home and not vote at all, but just won't admit to it here.
A vote for John Anderson is a vote for John Anderson.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:08 AM

759 posts, read 1,139,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
"most" amounts to about 100,000 or so of the 175,000 who could even be arsed to vote.
I don't think either number amounts to "most" in any other context.

Without the also-rans and the Ganzler distraction...
my favorite lesbian pot smoker might have actually had a shot at it.
That breath of fresh air would have done wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSro...hw5qiLb5IbKpMw
100,000/175,000=57%, certainly closer to "most" than to "least."
And since we are referring to voters, "most" does apply in this context.
If you don't vote, then you don't count, or don't care. Or care enough to count.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:17 PM

30,099 posts, read 66,361,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
And since we are referring to voters, "most" does apply in this context.
I messed up on my numbers but the basic point stands.
Data Link

I refer to your phrasing of "most Marylanders...".
Out of nearly 3MILLION registered Dems in the state
less than 500,000 even participated in the decision.
Of these... 249,000 are responsible for making the decision.

That's 249,000 out of nearly 6,000,000 citizens.
It's shameful.

The Republican ignominy is no better.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM

1,309 posts, read 957,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hogan is about as much a "Teabagger" as Brown is.

I've noticed that anyone who doesn't fall into the Progressive Democratic line here in MD is labeled a "Teabagger". That includes several Democratic politicians here in Southern MD.

As a note, my preferred candidate was Craig.
Riiiiiight. Hogan supported a "human life amendment" to the Constitution and parental notification laws for a minor having an abortion. He opposes same sex marriage and every major gun control law O'Malley attempted to pass. There is no major issue on which he could be considered a liberal/moderate, maybe you should read up on your candidates a bit.

In Md. governor

http://elections.baltimoresun.com/ca...s/larry-hogan/

Old 09-06-2014, 04:53 PM

35,125 posts, read 44,940,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Riiiiiight. Hogan supported a "human life amendment" to the Constitution and parental notification laws for a minor having an abortion. He opposes same sex marriage and every major gun control law O'Malley attempted to pass. There is no major issue on which he could be considered a liberal/moderate, maybe you should read up on your candidates a bit.

In Md. governor

http://elections.baltimoresun.com/ca...s/larry-hogan/
Damn, his positions are opposite that of most MD Democrats. Never claimed he was a liberal/moderate. ****, I forgot, Democrats demand everyone have the same position as them. Sorry.

Didn't realize that you were also a gun grabber.

The funniest thing about MD Democrats is when you start highlighting their records they get pissed off and claim it's unfair campaigning.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:07 PM

1,309 posts, read 957,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Damn, his positions are opposite that of most MD Democrats. Never claimed he was a liberal/moderate. ****, I forgot, Democrats demand everyone have the same position as them. Sorry.

Didn't realize that you were also a gun grabber.

The funniest thing about MD Democrats is when you start highlighting their records they get pissed off and claim it's unfair campaigning.
You insisted he was not similar to a Tea Partier yet is lockstep with them on all issues. Sorry I upset you by pointing out your guy is a conservative. I didn't demand anyone have the same positions as me, just pointing out the truth rather than trying to obfuscate. He is undisputably a gun nut based on his record of opposition to gun control bills. That doesn't play in MD, we're mostly normal people who don't have issues with our masculinity and need to compensate with big guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland