Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,538 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We just moved to the new development next to arundel mills mall. I have been searching for good elementary schools (grade 1-5) in the area. I guess the public school assigned to this district is Harman elementary, which does not have such great reviews when I did a search on the internet, performance wise and parental review-wise.
Could anyone recommend (from personal experience) any good private elementary schools in the area or within a reasonable commute distance?
Sorry if this question has been asked before. I did a search and could only find advise on good public schools in the area which is no help since we are assigned to a public school by zipcode. Too late for that I guess, we already bought the house.
Thanks for your help.
Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 AM

123 posts, read 381,266 times
The Young school in Columbia is one of many in the area. Your in a good area for private schools; there's alot in your local area. It will also depend on how much you want to spend.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:26 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,798 times
The Trinity School in eastern Ellicott City, near Elkridge, wouldn't be that far. It's an independent catholic school and has an excellent reputation.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:48 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I will check out both of those schools.
I have no idea how much schools like that cost, so I don't know how much I can spend. I have a one year old so we have a good five years before he starts 1st grade, so we can do some savings until then. Or, if I can't find a good school we can afford, I guess we'll just have to move. I'd rather avoid that, cause we're pretty happy with the area and the house.

Kat

Old 12-28-2007, 12:25 PM

123 posts, read 381,266 times
Having three children of my own I can understand your concern about schools. Here's two things I've learned about Maryland schools. Start looking for private schools now. They will send you invites and open enrollment for their school. Also some have waiting lists. The key to public schools is to be involved. Make sure the school knows that you want to be involved and that you will be weather they like it or not. You can also set up visits to the public school and tell them your concerns they might surprise you with answers or other options. Also I would also look for pre school to give your child an extar edge and so a full day of kindergarten isn't so stressful. Good Luck

Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,798 times
There's some good advice in the post above. In addition, since you do have a while before your child will be in school, try to talk to parents in person who are familiar with the school. There's a lot of new construction in this area that will undoubtedly bring higher income families to the area and this could change the demographics at the local school as well as the performance.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

I am going to send him to preschool and kindergarten but we already have a place picked out. My husband works for UMD at College Park and they a preschool and kindergarten there. So he'll be commuting with daddy the first two years. Its the elementary school that I'm concerned about.

Kat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland