Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:22 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,422 times

Advertisements

I live near Edgewater and I don't know anyone there who worries about crime. Yes it is "Blue Collar," but only in the sense that suburban/exurban DC is the only place where a town with a median income of $92,000 could be considered blue collar. I don't know what Pittsburgh is like, but Edgewater is on par with the affluent places in most other metropolitan areas. That being said, I do know what people mean when they say there is some "redneck" element, but in my experience (which appears to be backed up by the demographic profile) it is mostly middle class and upper middle class families who want their kids to go to good schools while being in a good commuting distance from DC. The Mayo area is even nicer than Edgewater as a whole. I haven't seen any crime reports, so maybe that is a huge downside to Edgewater, but it would shock me to see that so many of the people I know/know of (we're talking families with college degrees, kids, and six figure incomes) would choose to live there if that were the case. And even if it is the case, I guarantee most of the issues are in the Londontowne area (which is still very safe objectively speaking). Mayo is a fantastic place to raise a family. Stick with that and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM

132 posts, read 325,196 times
I am a teacher at South River High School, which is in Edgewater. Edgewater seems like Annapolis proper in a way, except in a different aspect. Edgewater has some areas that could be considered not so nice, then some nicer and very affluent parts. South River High School is a very nice school though, and I'm sure that your will kids will be fine if you enroll them in the area schools. My husband, who chose which school district our kids go to actually considered the South River district when we were moving here. It's a very safe and nice area and has a lot of neat amenities nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland