Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 AM

38 posts, read 43,998 times

Advertisements

So I have posted about PA and VA and have gotten lots of help, although I havent found anything ideal in my price range and as far as a safe, family friendly area. So I ventured a little beyong PA and have found myself looking in Maryland. I am a single mother with two young girls, ages 8 and 3. I am looking for a good school district and a safe neighborhood. I currently rent in NJ, its a low income townhome community, very safe and quiet, I havent had any issues in the 5 years that I have lived there. My rent is only about $800 which is great for NJ but its still expensive as a whole as a single mom. I am looking for change more than anything, wouldnt even mind having the same rent, just want out of NJ. I have looked in Edgewood and found some places that I thought were great but of course once I came on here, I saw a few bad reviews.. Its really hard moving to another state basing info off of what you see online. can anyone give their honest opinions about Edgewood, Silver Spring and Frederick? Dont know much about any other towns, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Thompson24 View Post
I currently rent in NJ, its a low income townhome community, very safe and quiet, I havent had any issues in the 5 years that I have lived there. My rent is only about $800 which is great for NJ but its still expensive as a whole as a single mom. I am looking for change more than anything, wouldnt even mind having the same rent, just want out of NJ. ...... Its really hard moving to another state basing info off of what you see online. can anyone give their honest opinions about Edgewood, Silver Spring and Frederick? Dont know much about any other towns, thanks!
Silver Spring has many nice safe areas with good schools. But there is no way you will find a place to rent for $800/month. Market rate rents for a townhouse would start about $1700/month. Do you have some kind of housing voucher you can use in another state? Montgomery County has some subsidized housing, but there are waiting lists. Frederick is somewhat more affordable, but you will also have a problem finding an $800/month rental.

I suggest staying in New Jersey unless you can find a way to get affordable housing or can earn enough to pay market rents.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:56 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
It would probably be easier to recommend a residential location on the basis of the commute to your job. Where will you be working? Commutes in Maryland can be difficult, so you would need to take traffic into account when deciding where to live. In most areas, though, it will probably be difficult to find a townhouse or even a condo to rent at $800 per month, and likely impossible in a safe area with good schools.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 AM

Yeah its really starting to seem as if NJ is my best bet lol. No I dont have a housing voucher, just lucked up with this place a few years ago.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:51 AM

I havent landed a job yet I just began my search and was hoping to find a decent area and then begin looking for jobs in that area. Not sure if thats the correct order...

Old 11-05-2014, 08:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Thompson24 View Post
I havent landed a job yet I just began my search and was hoping to find a decent area and then begin looking for jobs in that area. Not sure if thats the correct order...
One of the few parts of Maryland that has rents as low as you have now for 3 bedrooms is the west- eg Frostburg, Cumberland, Hagerstown, etc. They are fairly rural and don't have great job markets, but many schools are at least average rated. You are welcome to try a job search.

Here are some past post on the area:
//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...frostburg.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...g-md-area.html

The Eastern Shore also has some low-rent towns, but I couldn't recommend the schools or safety.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Start in Frederick MD. Especially if you seek a nice, quaint town with decent schools, a good social scene, and a lower cost of living. You'll need to stay away from DC, Balitmore, and Annapolis to find what you're looking for in your price range (unless you get exceedingly lucky).

Old 11-06-2014, 09:14 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One of the few parts of Maryland that has rents as low as you have now for 3 bedrooms is the west- eg Frostburg, Cumberland, Hagerstown, etc. They are fairly rural and don't have great job markets, but many schools are at least average rated. You are welcome to try a job search.

Here are some past post on the area:
//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...frostburg.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...g-md-area.html

The Eastern Shore also has some low-rent towns, but I couldn't recommend the schools or safety.
Good idea, but definitely get the job first. They are hard to come by out here, but even a modest paying one would work as $800 is enough to rent 1/2 a duplex or small house in Cumberland.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Yes I wouldnt go anywhere without a job. Havent heard of Cumberland, Ill check that out too, thanks Westsideboy.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Well, we are much different than central Jersey, I would guess. We are a small mountain community. Very scenic, but also rather isolated from the rest of the state. It is better to think of us as a little bit of West Virginia connected by roads to the rest of Maryland.

Cost of living is low, but jobs are hard to get. The city is very walkable, but has old infrastructure, some of it rundown and blighted. Outdoor recreation is outstanding, cultural events are good for a city our size, really good actually, but won't compare if you are used to big city style social calendars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland