Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 04:31 PM

21 posts, read 43,789 times

Advertisements

An article has been passed around the internet between people in Western Maryland today. Always good to get the good word about my area out!

Ten amazing walkable cities near D.C. - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 02:12 AM

631 posts, read 1,388,835 times
I like how they compared Hagerstown to Baltimore, Cumberland to Pittsburgh, and Fredrick to DC. In sense of walkable and scenic vibes... not people and crime

Old 11-10-2014, 06:21 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,579,638 times
Hagerstown is walkable? I certainly wouldn't want to walk through most of Hagerstown.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:25 PM

6,916 posts, read 11,168,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
I like how they compared Hagerstown to Baltimore, Cumberland to Pittsburgh, and Fredrick to DC. In sense of walkable and scenic vibes... not people and crime
Pittsburgh is a good comp for Cumberland. I hear it a lot of from out of town people familiar with both cities.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 PM

461 posts, read 1,277,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Hagerstown is walkable? I certainly wouldn't want to walk through most of Hagerstown.
Actually, it's very walkable, and will be even more so when the new downtown trail opens connecting to one of the nicest public parks in the country, Hagerstown City Park.

Hagerstown maps out trail as part of downtown revitalization - Herald Mail Media: Local News

Hagerstown City Park Named Most Beautiful City Park in US - Your4State.com

Old 12-01-2014, 12:51 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,262,075 times
I've decided to "bump" an older thread instead of starting a new thread and further cluttering the forum. We live within walking distance of Downtown Pittsburgh. I'm off pretty much every Tuesday (my partner typically is not). As such I like to spend my Tuesdays alternating between running errands OR going on solo day-trips within a 3-hour radius to scope out potential future overnighters and/or weekend getaway destinations for us both when I can successfully secure a weekend off here and there.

I've been to Erie, PA numerous times before and love it there (Presque Isle State Park and beaches; nearby wineries; the maritime museum; the environmental education center; etc).

We also really enjoy Greater Youngstown, OH (a great free art museum; our closest Jamba Juice location; our closest Friendly's Ice Cream location; an awesome major farm market nearby).

We're overdue for a return trip to Cleveland as an urban destination, and I plan to take us there in the Spring for an overnighter.

In terms of rural/small town destinations, though, Cumberland is one area within that 3-hour radius of Pittsburgh that I truly haven't really explored yet. I like to cyber-travel by spending a few hours "walking" virtually via Google Street View, but Cumberland, for the most part, hasn't been updated by Google since 2008, and many photos are of very poor quality. Therefore, I can't really get as good of a "feel" for it online as many other places I've visited in the past.

Would Cumberland be a worthwhile "scouting" day-trip for me one of these coming Tuesdays?

Things I specifically look for?
  • Unique Local Restaurants (Don't Need to Be Upscale or "Trendy")
  • Historic Architecture
  • Performing Arts (Philharmonic? Local Theater Troupes? War Battle Re-Enactments?)
  • Cheap Lodging (I'd Rather Stay at a Motel 6 and Spend More on Leisure)
  • Hiking Opportunities
  • Walkable Business District(s)

Also, what would be the quickest way to access Cumberland from Pittsburgh? Would I be better off taking I-76, getting off at Somerset, and then taking the back-roads down from there, or should I take I-79 South to Morgantown to I-68 East?

I suppose I do just enjoy the "thrill" of experiencing someplace new on my own for the first time, but I also don't want to waste 200-300 miles (and a tank of gas) either if Greater Cumberland turns out to be a dud. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Old 12-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've decided to "bump" an older thread instead of starting a new thread and further cluttering the forum. We live within walking distance of Downtown Pittsburgh. I'm off pretty much every Tuesday (my partner typically is not). As such I like to spend my Tuesdays alternating between running errands OR going on solo day-trips within a 3-hour radius to scope out potential future overnighters and/or weekend getaway destinations for us both when I can successfully secure a weekend off here and there.

I've been to Erie, PA numerous times before and love it there (Presque Isle State Park and beaches; nearby wineries; the maritime museum; the environmental education center; etc).

We also really enjoy Greater Youngstown, OH (a great free art museum; our closest Jamba Juice location; our closest Friendly's Ice Cream location; an awesome major farm market nearby).

We're overdue for a return trip to Cleveland as an urban destination, and I plan to take us there in the Spring for an overnighter.

In terms of rural/small town destinations, though, Cumberland is one area within that 3-hour radius of Pittsburgh that I truly haven't really explored yet. I like to cyber-travel by spending a few hours "walking" virtually via Google Street View, but Cumberland, for the most part, hasn't been updated by Google since 2008, and many photos are of very poor quality. Therefore, I can't really get as good of a "feel" for it online as many other places I've visited in the past.

Would Cumberland be a worthwhile "scouting" day-trip for me one of these coming Tuesdays?

Things I specifically look for?
  • Unique Local Restaurants (Don't Need to Be Upscale or "Trendy")
  • Historic Architecture
  • Performing Arts (Philharmonic? Local Theater Troupes? War Battle Re-Enactments?)
  • Cheap Lodging (I'd Rather Stay at a Motel 6 and Spend More on Leisure)
  • Hiking Opportunities
  • Walkable Business District(s)

Also, what would be the quickest way to access Cumberland from Pittsburgh? Would I be better off taking I-76, getting off at Somerset, and then taking the back-roads down from there, or should I take I-79 South to Morgantown to I-68 East?

I suppose I do just enjoy the "thrill" of experiencing someplace new on my own for the first time, but I also don't want to waste 200-300 miles (and a tank of gas) either if Greater Cumberland turns out to be a dud. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Unique Local Restaurants (Don't Need to Be Upscale or "Trendy")- Yes...although most uniqueness in Cumberland food from a MD perspective is because we have Hogies, Wedgies, Pepperoni rolls and other Northern Appalachian food. If you stop to eat in Grantsville, Garrett County, they have some old fashion country food (think buckwheat cakes, chicken and dumplings.) Cumberland has a 100 year plus hotdog place, Curtis' Coney Island Wieners. It is a local institution, but outsiders often don't scarf down the dogs with as many superlatives as us locals. Still, it is worth a lunch trip, IMO.

Historic Architecture - In spades. Check out Baltimore St. and Washington St. on Google maps. We also have a huge number of historic churches, their spires are the skyline of our city.

Performing Arts (Philharmonic? Local Theater Troupes? War Battle Re-Enactments?) - Yes. Check out mdmountainside.com for a calendar of offerings, but we have local theatre, some ballet, frequent concerts. Extending you reach to Frostburg will increase these offerings because of the college.

Cheap Lodging (I'd Rather Stay at a Motel 6 and Spend More on Leisure) - Yes, we have a Motel 6 in LaVale.

Hiking Opportunities - Yes, Cumberland is the junction of the C&O Canal and Allegheny Highlands Trail, we also have a glut of state parks full of wonderful forested mountain trails. It just depends on how deep in the woods you feel like going.

Walkable Business District(s) - Sort of. Our business district is walkable, it is a pedestrian mall in fact. That being said, there aren't many businesses of note. We have a cool little Tea shop, some other speciality stores, a few antique stores, but Cumberland isn't known as a place to go to shop.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to answer.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Directions depend on which side of the city you are coming from. If you live on the eastern side of Pittsburgh, or suburbs, it is easiest to get on the turnpike, take it to Somerset, then come down through Berlin and Wellersburg until you cross into Allegany County. Those roads are a bit hairy though.

If you live in most other parts of the city, it is normally faster to go I-79 to I-68.

I know some people from the Carrick area that use Rt. 40, and swear it is the fastest way from that part of greater Pittsburgh. I don't know the directions well enough to share though. If you pick the turnpike, I can easily find the names of the smaller roads.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Unique Local Restaurants (Don't Need to Be Upscale or "Trendy")- Yes...although most uniqueness in Cumberland food from a MD perspective is because we have Hogies, Wedgies, Pepperoni rolls and other Northern Appalachian food. If you stop to eat in Grantsville, Garrett County, they have some old fashion country food (think buckwheat cakes, chicken and dumplings.) Cumberland has a 100 year plus hotdog place, Curtis' Coney Island Wieners. It is a local institution, but outsiders often don't scarf down the dogs with as many superlatives as us locals. Still, it is worth a lunch trip, IMO.
By "unique" I should have clarified to mean that I was just looking for something more mom-and-pop and less chain-styled. That place in Grantsville sounds like it could be a possibility for breakfast on our way down, and we both love hot dogs (no gay jokes!), so Curtis' sounds promising for lunch.

How is the Baltimore Street Grill? Is it a relaxed "pub grub" type of atmosphere I'm expecting it to be? This might be an alternative for lunch to Curtis' since my partner is particular about his hot dogs.

Ristorante Ottaviani also stands out for me in particular because the owner is opening a new business venture soon right near my home in Pittsburgh. It might be good to sample the cuisine there first to see if I'd like to try the new restaurant up here, too.

How are the wings at Carmichael's?

The Crabby Pig looks interesting...?

Does the Queen City Creamery have good ice cream? Any better dessert suggestions?

Quote:
Historic Architecture - In spades. Check out Baltimore St. and Washington St. on Google maps. We also have a huge number of historic churches, their spires are the skyline of our city.
Cool. Yes. I can see that from the aerial view of Google Maps. I guess the absence of good Street View photography means it will be even more alluring in person.

Quote:
Performing Arts (Philharmonic? Local Theater Troupes? War Battle Re-Enactments?) - Yes. Check out mdmountainside.com for a calendar of offerings, but we have local theatre, some ballet, frequent concerts. Extending you reach to Frostburg will increase these offerings because of the college.
Great! Glad to hear it!

Quote:
Cheap Lodging (I'd Rather Stay at a Motel 6 and Spend More on Leisure) - Yes, we have a Motel 6 in LaVale.
That works!

Quote:
Hiking Opportunities - Yes, Cumberland is the junction of the C&O Canal and Allegheny Highlands Trail, we also have a glut of state parks full of wonderful forested mountain trails. It just depends on how deep in the woods you feel like going.
We'd probably look for a state park and hike a trail for a couple of hours. We prefer loop trails instead of just walking out to a certain point and then having to retrace our steps back.

Quote:
Walkable Business District(s) - Sort of. Our business district is walkable, it is a pedestrian mall in fact. That being said, there aren't many businesses of note. We have a cool little Tea shop, some other speciality stores, a few antique stores, but Cumberland isn't known as a place to go to shop.
This is unfortunate. I noticed when I scrolled in to the closest aerial view on Google Maps that not many business links popped up. Is the Downtown mostly vacant?

Quote:
Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to answer.
Thanks! It's nice to have an ambassador for Cumberland on this forum!

Quote:
Directions depend on which side of the city you are coming from. If you live on the eastern side of Pittsburgh, or suburbs, it is easiest to get on the turnpike, take it to Somerset, then come down through Berlin and Wellersburg until you cross into Allegany County. Those roads are a bit hairy though.

If you live in most other parts of the city, it is normally faster to go I-79 to I-68.
I know some people from the Carrick area that use Rt. 40, and swear it is the fastest way from that part of greater Pittsburgh. I don't know the directions well enough to share though. If you pick the turnpike, I can easily find the names of the smaller roads.[/quote]

If we are going to do breakfast in Grantsville we will probably take Route 51 South to Uniontown and then take Route 40 into Maryland. I'm guessing the breakfast place you're talking about is the Casselman Inn?

Old 12-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Right now I'm thinking...

6:30 AM: Depart Pittsburgh on Saturday, May 2, 2015. ($12-$15 in gas, depending on prices then)

8:30 AM: Arrive to eat breakfast at the Casselman Inn in Grantsville. ($15-$18, including tip)

9:45 AM: Arrive in Downtown Cumberland and Explore for an Hour. (Free)

10:45 AM: Pick up Tickets and Then Take a Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Excursion to Frostburg. ($70 for two standard coach tickets)

12:30 PM: Arrive in Frostburg via the Train (Free)

12:45 PM: Explore and Get a Cheap Lunch Somewhere in Frostburg. (Recommendations?)

3:00 PM: Arrive Back in Cumberland via the Train. (Free)

4:00 PM: Check-in at Super 8 Motel in LaVale. (~$50/night)

6:00 PM: Dinner at Ristorante Ottaviani. ($60, including tip).

8:00 PM: See Hair, as presented by the Cumberland Theatre. ($40 for two tickets)

10:30 PM: Grab a late-night dessert or drink somewhere or head back to motel.

TOTAL BUDGET: $250-$300

In lieu of the motel room stay I may also just drive us home after the show unless you think there's enough for us to see/do after checking out on Sunday morning to occupy us for a few hours before heading home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland