Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:57 PM

222 posts, read 1,054,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangarising View Post
The thing that just kills me is, none of the teachers ever says, even in private, that this is ridiculous. They all seem to think it's reasonable, and are just concerned about what they need to cover with their classes before the tests are administered.
This is ridiculous! You guys just don't hear us. lol Despite our own feelings, we do need to follow the curriculum to some degree to keep our jobs. Teachers can also be involuntary relocated to another (often worse) school if the administration feels we are not working out. Personally, I try to follow the curriculum, but I do my best to use "teachable moments" and add to and modify the curriculum if I feel it is in the best interest of the students.

Most of us are trying to make the best of a strange situation. also, I haven't figured out what will happen when AYP (adequate yearly progress) gets harder to achieve - as in, you'll never get to 100%.

???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 PM

10 posts, read 43,362 times
You need to look for a school that is passing state tests each year already (so there is not as much pressure there) but stay away from counties with more affluent populations where test scores are the end all, be all. I know from experience that Anne Arundel Co. is always pressured to just pass, so in the classroom testing is a big issue. I'll be changing to Carroll Co. because the schools are smaller and if you look online you'll see that the counties averages are above the state.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,004 times
Eventually when Carroll co become the next popolar county to live because every where else is expensive, the county school then will become about test scores. When live in the over populated county with plenty of Affulent familes and high income families then the county will get greedy and want to attract more wealth so they create a system in which the higher the test scores the more money we get.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 43,362 times
I agree. And koofie has a good point that your job is at stake. I know the old addage is you can't fire a teacher, but relocating and having a corporation take over your school is a reality. Just ask the people at Annapolis HS.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 19,156 times
This is such a heated debate. Good luck find a school that doesn't teach to the test, because they all do. I'm currently a (substitute) teacher in PA looking to relocate to MD. Here in PA, most of the time our funding is based on how well the school does on our state assessments. Schools who score well get more funding, and schools who score poorly get less. Which is backwards, I know. And parents will often tell their children to fail and whatnot, but they don't realize that they are, in return, actually making the school district worse by not allowing it to receive its proper funding...therefor digging the hole deeper and deeper. It makes no sense and it all comes down to NCLB which is totally ridiculous. It's a nice thought, but it isnt going to happen. Teachers have to do what they have to do in order to hit their AYP...it is like a vicious cycle. Here in PA, teachers are very outspoken about how insane it is but overall its out of their control.

The good thing about PA is that once your locked into your position you can't lose it and get involuntarily moved because of the union etc. But on average it takes the recent college grad 4-5 years to land a permanent position. Until then your living on a day to day (they only call when they need you) salary of $75/day which is taxed. An average school district receives 1200 applications per 3 open positions. Hence, me trying to get into MD.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:21 PM

99 posts, read 505,153 times
I moved from PA to MD to get a job teaching as well. I knew I didn't want to sub for 1-3 years to get a permanent job. I recommend Anne Arundel County. It is large enough to need a good amount of teachers and still has many nice areas. If at all possible I would suggest taking a few fellow grads with you and sharing a large apartment. The cost of living is higher and this helps.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM

5 posts, read 19,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbieber1029 View Post
I moved from PA to MD to get a job teaching as well. I knew I didn't want to sub for 1-3 years to get a permanent job. I recommend Anne Arundel County. It is large enough to need a good amount of teachers and still has many nice areas. If at all possible I would suggest taking a few fellow grads with you and sharing a large apartment. The cost of living is higher and this helps.
haha I actually have an interview there this upcoming week. I went down a few times in the summer to interview but it didnt work out, obviously. Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: