Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2014, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 11,711 times

Advertisements

Hey, everybody. I'm trying to do some research on the best area's to live in MD if your child is Autistic. I have a 12 year old with high functioning Autism but pretty severe behavior problems at home. I currently live in DE and the services here are practically non-existent. We only have two ABA therapists in the entire state!! I'm in a position to finally move out of this state so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can. I'm not finding much on Google about MD, good or bad and it's frustrating. My husband works in MD so living there and not having to commute from DC to DE every day would be fantastic. I'm wondering if it's easy for children with Autism to obtain Medicaid, also does the state have an abundance of ABA therapists? What school districts and areas are safe and offer good services? Are there any areas I need to avoid? These are the things I'm looking to find out. I would like parent opinions rather than some generic Autism website that does not offer realistic opinions. Every state likes to make it seem like they are amazing but it's the parents and caregivers who are the real people to go to for opinions. So, if anyone here is willing to give me any info that would be fantastic!

-Ryanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 02:01 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore:

Kennedy Krieger Institute |

Old 12-14-2014, 04:44 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
I know parents with kids with autism specifically are choosing to come to Howard County Public Schools. I cannot speak on it personally but there is a Facebook page for the Howard County Autism Society that would be a huge help to you.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 AM

9 posts, read 16,008 times
I am also looking for resources in Maryland, I have a sister that have two children with developmental delays (both boys are 16 & 20 now) and she had them enrolled at Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore. I myself and looking to go back home to Maryland because of my own daughter who was recently diagnosed on the spectrum. Check out Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore, cssac.org in Montgomary Village MD, The Frost School in Rockville hope this helps a little. Stay Blessed

Old 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM

132 posts, read 325,225 times
There are several nice schools with children for autism in Maryland. As someone else mentioned, Howard County has nice disability services, as do certain Anne Arundel County Public Schools. All high schools in Anne Arundel County have a class called "Functional Life Skills." It's basically a class for students with disabilities such as down syndrome, severe autism, cerebral palsy, etc. Most of the students stay in high school till they're 21 to better prepare them for college or whatever they want to do after graduating, though some graduate on time. They usually stay in the Functional Life Skills classroom for all their core classes (Math, English, etc.), but have elective classes with general education students so that they are mixed with general education students, too. In Anne Arundel County, South River, Arundel, Broadneck, and Old Mill High Schools have a program called "Best Buddies," where students from the Functional Life Skills program get paired up with a student in the general education program, and they hang out, and be friends, etc., and it's a great program. The high schools in Anne Arundel county also have unified sports that students with disabilities can participate in. Good luck! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: