Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 AM

142 posts, read 537,856 times

Advertisements

Hi I was researching Crofton and found that their is some weird school redistricting there. From what I can tell, some of their teens attend Arundel High School and some are sent to South River High. I looked up where South River is and found out it is in Edgewater and decided to start researching this town as well. For one, according to the test scores, it seems to be a much better school than Arundel High which most Croftons students attend. However, I've read in one thread that Edgewater is not that nice but there was no explanation. The houses are cheaper there too and its by the water. If commuting to SE DC, it seems to be not that much further than Crofton. Crofton vs. Edgewater--what's the deal here?

btw, also, I've read that South River High School is becoming overcrowded. Are they going to have to build a new high school in Crofton? Has anyone heard anything about this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 PM

564 posts, read 892,286 times
Crofton is closer to P.G. county, and the idea is to put some distance from P.G. county. Edgewater is further in A.A., thus I would go further in. I lived in Edgewater for a Year . The only complaints I had were It seemed like a large amount of teenagers. My brother and sister both went to southern senior high and graduated college with no problems. Note: When my sister started 8th grade in A.A. county public schools, the school had a conference with my parents to let them know how far back my sister was from coming from P.G schools. An "A" student in P.G., became a "c" student in A.A. I think her grades finally came back up in 10th grade. Edgewater -on south are good choices.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:19 PM

142 posts, read 537,856 times
I'll be blunt--is it kind of trashy? Or is it charming? What about Chesapeake Bay as someone recommended to me? It is supposedly an easy commute to where my husband works. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:05 PM

124 posts, read 470,288 times
Do you mean Chesapeake Beach? I've lived in Chesapeake Beach for 3 years now, though we're about to relocate to California. I think its a good town to raise your family. The schools are great, crime is low, you can live within walking distance of the bay and pay less than $300k for a house easy.

Even though I'm desperate to get back to my home state, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this area. It's a lovely place if you want a peaceful life with a rural feel (but still have the conveniences of a town including a hotel and spa, several restaurants, and a fair amount of shopping)

Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,125 times
The lady is talking about edgwater md and crofton md not chesapeake beach hongoblin. Yes edgewater isnt a good place and is a bit trashy. Especially the londontowne md full of white trash and hispanics

Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 PM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Edgewater is one of the old Bay towns (not a town, too long to explain why here) that grew up and survived on water related industry, crabbing, fishing, oystering, etc with a bit of farming further inland. Much of the old housing stock is of the SoMd Craftsmen style with quite a few summer houses/cottages still in existence. There are still watermen who live there.

It has been "discovered" so a large number of rural pioneers from more urban areas of MD have been moving out there to take advantage of lower taxes, larger lots and better schools and slowly been changing, or trying to, the area to what used to be called yuppifieing but now is called gentrification. With that comes the natural friction between the old time residents and the come-heres who want to change a centuries old way of life. Many of those newcomers have absolutely no idea what living in a rural area entails as far as tradeoffs for shopping, entertainment, general lifestyle, etc.

"Trashy" in MD means someone who is blue-collar, by the way.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
If this person hasn't found a suitable home after 3 years then they never will.

Old 12-22-2011, 05:36 AM

45,318 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
If this person hasn't found a suitable home after 3 years then they never will.

Crap, I didn't look at the date.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,099,400 times
Let me also add that the Edgewater-Mayo area really only has one "rough" area and that is Woodland Beach. Anywhere outside of there is pretty decent with some very high dollar houses.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM

673 posts, read 1,186,125 times
Edgewater is an area south of Annapolis off the south river bridge going southbound. The worst neighborhood in the town is woodland beach also known as londontowne. This neighborhood can be found off of mayo road or londontowne road. It's your typical section 8 white trash community you find with sneakers hanging from electrical wires and teenagers standing on the corners smoking cigarettes. It's had a history for drugs. The best neighborhoods in edgewater can be found in south river colony which is town homes and single family homes, selby on the bay which is single family waterfront homes along the bay, river oaks which is a great town home community, and Beverly beach a community of large single family and waterfront homes along the bay with parks and beaches. Edgewater has alot to offer , just stay away from areas like woodland beach if your concerned about safety
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland