Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:00 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times

Advertisements

The title says it all.

For me it's,

1. Baltimore. I love big urban cities and despite it's problems I like Baltimore a lot. Hopefully it will get it's act together one day.

2. Silver Spring. It's not technically a town or a city but it functions like one and when I say Silver Spring I mean the entity, so zipcodes 20901-20910. Loads of diversity here and its mostly safe.

3. Takoma Park. It's a cute, quiant, charming little town with lots of diversity and it's affordable and right next to D.C. and it's safe!

4. Towson. It's kinda like Baltimore's version of Silver Spring although there are some obvious differences. If I had to live in the Baltimore area this would be my #1 choice.

5. Hanover. Solely because of Arundel Mills.

Runner ups: Columbia, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Greenbelt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 AM

7,015 posts, read 11,307,950 times
1. Cumberland - Home sweet home.
2. Frederick - not too big, not too small, just right and wonderfully preserved.
3. Annapolis - Beautiful little city, so much character, history, charm, you name it.
4. Westminster - Quintessential Mid-Maryland
5. Frostburg - College town meets old mining town. If the weather was better, the rank would be higher.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:25 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
In no particular order:
1. McHenry
2. Oxford
3. Chesapeake City
4. Chestertown
5. Denton

Runner Ups: St. Mary's City, Thurmont, North Beach, Port Deposit, Bel Air, Ocean City, Uniontown, New Windsor, Oakland, Crisfield, Smith Island, Miller's Island.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:32 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,610 times
1. Annapolis - great historical city in close proximity to Baltimore and DC
2. Ocean City - a good beach vacation area
3. Frederick - Been there several times, an all around beautiful place
4. Baltimore - Has a lot of good things going for it
5. Tie between Silver Spring and Bethesda. Both excellent places to live.

My runner ups: Westminster, Edgewater, North Beach, Leonardtown, Cumberland, Salisbury.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:33 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,354 times
1. Annapolis
2. Frederick
3. Baltimore
4. Bethesda
5. Cumberland

Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Silver Spring (even though it's not actually a city)
Annapolis
Baltimore
Riverdale Park
Takoma Park

Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 AM

51 posts, read 71,197 times
1. Ellicott City (The "El")
2. Annapolis
3. Bethesda
4. Baltimore
5. Columbia

Old 01-14-2015, 01:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Silver Spring (even though it's not actually a city nor are a few of my other picks): Very diverse in the racial/ethnic/socio-economic sense, nice shopping, abundant restaurants, two downtowns (the town center DTSS and the older, more gritty original Downtown), pretty safe, etc.

Annapolis: Maritime culture, quintessential Maryland vibe, cute downtown, Naval Academy and Naval Base, Annapolis Mall, etc.

Baltimore: Despite the crime, blight in large parts, and the local mentality, there's some nice neighborhoods (not just in the Inner Harbor area either), seafood galore, diverse architecture, Inner Harbor, most urban/dense city in Maryland, decent college town, ethnic enclaves, history, some cool festivities, Penn Station looks nice, Berger cookies, underrated restaurant scene, plenty of bars, pubs, and taverns, City of Neighborhoods concept, the Maryland Zoo, Patterson Park, interesting accents, somewhat diverse (though not as diverse as DC or Philly, it's still decent), weird, gritty, etc.

Riverdale Park: Diverse with a strong Latino flavor, gritty, old streetcar suburban aesthetic, almost secluded-like wooded area, neighborhoody-type of town, etc.

Takoma Park: Quaint downtown, intellectual/bohemian/artsy culture, gritty in parts, diverse, plenty of character, etc.

Honorable Mentions

Chillum: Gritty, diverse, a lot of sit-down and hole-in-the-wall ethnic restaurants, plenty of ethnic markets (large, small, and open-air), the area with Queens Chapel Road feels almost like a neighborhood scene straight out of Queens, New York.

City of Hyattsville: Artsy, diverse, some good restaurants, relatively safe (can be a little rough-around-the-edges but it's not as bad as the surrounding neighborhoods with "Hyattsville" zip codes, has the bones to become one of PG County's great downtowns, constant development, nice old houses, etc.

Catonsville: Basically similar to Hyattsville but looks a little more older.

Fort Washington: Gorgeously huge historic homes especially in the Tantallon community (they aren't über-expensive either, especially compared to similar homes in Potomac, Chevy Chase, and McLean), beautiful waterfront properties, pretty diverse, small twisted roads seeping through the beautiful landscape with the abundant tall trees and hills, close proximity to both National Harbor and Alexandria across the River, some hole-in-the-wall dining establishments, Hovermales Ice Cream, the Marina, etc.

Columbia: Columbia Mall, pretty diverse, nice area albeit cookie-cutter (the Columbia Town Center looks nice though), and some good restaurants.

Greenbelt: Used to love going to Beltway Plaza (the movies, the arcade, Jeepers, Funcoland, Boston Market), diversity, used to love going to this park that has a large lake where I tried my hand in fishing for the first time, etc.

Last edited by tcave360; 01-14-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 05:34 PM

631 posts, read 1,396,186 times
Columbia (not a town)- Love the mall, and the area it self reminds me of a Bethesda type feel

Silver Spring (also not a town)- Downtown life, diversity, and great Ethiopian cuisine and I loved going to the Filmore for shows

Salisbury- Born and raised, college town, Downtown has great lounges, bars (fun fact: Salisbury has ZERO farms at all)

Annapolis-Love the mall, love the harbor scene, safe, and reminds me of Salisbury with the ships and ports

Laurel/Bowie (live in Laurel)- Both the same IMO so I clumped them, typical PG suburban family towns, good restaurants, safe, and have family events

Honorable Mentions:

National Harbor (its a CDP)-Love the scene, the outlets, restaurants, and the views

Hyattsville-Love the Arts District, and sort of a Hipster feel

Bethesda-good upscale shopping, reminds me of Columbia and Silver spring as well

Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Annapolis
Berlin
Ocean City/Assateague (prefer Assateague)
St Michaels/Oxford
Easton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland