Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:44 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

Why did you post in the Maryland Forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
I hope other people answer, I'm curious as well. Don't know about Hampton, but in general. (I'm a speeder too by the way. I just have a lead foot, what can I say.)

1) What exactly were you charged with on the ticket?

2) In VA 20 miles, I believe over is also RECKLESS driving which is an elevated charge from just speeding. Are you also accused of that? Could that lead to more points in MASS than you think?

3) IF you only get the 2 points that MASS would give you for speeding, you'll have to decide if its worth your time to even fight it.

Of course you know points mean higher car insurance for about three years -- and until those points drop off (at least a year) you'll have to be MORE careful to not get MORE points, so 2 don't become 5, become 7, etc.

I'd definitely at least look up how points DROP OFF your record to see how long the repercussions might last.

Let's say a lawyer costs $500.00, how much will three years of higher insurance cast you, and looking over your shoulder so you don't get pulled over AGAIN.

As for Whether you should rep yourself.....what would you answer IF you're asked were you speeding? And are you asking me to dismiss this just because the DATE is wrong....everything else is correct....your name, car model, your tag number -- just the date is wrong? You're not saying he pulled over someone ELSE are you?

If it helps a coworker was able to get off by happening to notice it was the officer's FIRST EVER ticket. So he also asked the officer about his experience writing tickets. I think he also notice something minor about the time or location being wrong -- and asked: given you lack of experience could you also be mistaken about YXZ (Co-worker said he could here every cop in the room realize the case was lost).

From one fellow speeder to another -- IF you don't know the territory, it's best to lighten up on the speed. If you don't know where the cops sit, you don't know where speed traps could be, you don't know what kind of plain cars they have -- you're GIVING the other side the advantage. Now, on my normal routes every day -- where as a local I know cops have been sitting for 40 years -- I speed like a demon.) And even then you have to watch for the plain cars, etc.

Also this thread is so old I hope you get answers. some people look at the first dat and don't look to see that the lasts posts are about a NEW, different question.

If push came to shove I think I'd hire the lawyer. Peace of mind an all...I wouldn't have to worry about screwing it up myself, or second guessing myself.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:08 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
Speeding/driving is such a pet-peeve topic of mine -- you know, I didn't even think about why he/she posted in the MD forum....duh.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:06 AM

21 posts, read 79,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Why did you post in the Maryland Forum?
Sorry. I only googled and found such topic on VA speeding ticket discussion in Maryland Forum not in MA Forum. Appreciate for help.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 AM

21 posts, read 79,662 times
Thank you so much for the detailed reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I hope other people answer, I'm curious as well. Don't know about Hampton, but in general. (I'm a speeder too by the way. I just have a lead foot, what can I say.)

1) What exactly were you charged with on the ticket? Just speeding. He didn't write me reckless driving.

2) In VA 20 miles, I believe over is also RECKLESS driving which is an elevated charge from just speeding. Are you also accused of that? Could that lead to more points in MASS than you think?
No I was not accused of that. If I were I would not hesitate but just to hire a lawyer. When I spoke with most lawyers what I heard most is just to reduce the amount - from 20 to 9 maybe, but it makes no difference in MA b/c MA doesn't differentiate these. I have confirmed with MA DOT and speeding is a minor violation of 2 points after Virginia sends this record to MA.

3) IF you only get the 2 points that MASS would give you for speeding, you'll have to decide if its worth your time to even fight it.
Well, my cost is just take one more day off plus the court fee if I don't hire a lawyer. The snow storm is pretty bad in Boston. I can also work remotely. B/C reducing the mileage doesn't make a difference in MA I will anyway get a 2 point on my record. The cheapest lawyer I found so far would charge me $300 per apperance in the court - if the cop doesn't show up and continue the case, second time $200, and then more. I just feel like if the cop doesn't show up I may have a chance to dismss.

Of course you know points mean higher car insurance for about three years -- and until those points drop off (at least a year) you'll have to be MORE careful to not get MORE points, so 2 don't become 5, become 7, etc.

I'd definitely at least look up how points DROP OFF your record to see how long the repercussions might last.
This is a good point. I will speak with MA DOT.

Let's say a lawyer costs $500.00, how much will three years of higher insurance cast you, and looking over your shoulder so you don't get pulled over AGAIN. I called the insurance company. They can't give me an estimate or amount.

As for Whether you should rep yourself.....what would you answer IF you're asked were you speeding? And are you asking me to dismiss this just because the DATE is wrong....everything else is correct....your name, car model, your tag number -- just the date is wrong? You're not saying he pulled over someone ELSE are you?
The date was wrong. I was not in Hampton. I also reminded the cop that I was trying to go to the Pier 1 Imports store in Cheesapeake to pick up a gift before it closes on Xmas eve as it closes early. I know it's kind of weak. Even the lawyers said he would consider it mi

If it helps a coworker was able to get off by happening to notice it was the officer's FIRST EVER ticket. So he also asked the officer about his experience writing tickets. I think he also notice something minor about the time or location being wrong -- and asked: given you lack of experience could you also be mistaken about YXZ (Co-worker said he could here every cop in the room realize the case was lost).

From one fellow speeder to another -- IF you don't know the territory, it's best to lighten up on the speed. If you don't know where the cops sit, you don't know where speed traps could be, you don't know what kind of plain cars they have -- you're GIVING the other side the advantage. Now, on my normal routes every day -- where as a local I know cops have been sitting for 40 years -- I speed like a demon.) And even then you have to watch for the plain cars, etc.
Thanks for the advice. I come down to NC pretty often - girlfriend's family is in NC. I was kind of used to the leniency in MA after living there for a year. I have not seen anyone got pulled over on the highway in the great commonwealth of MA. I always drive at 80 mph in MA even when speed limit is 55 mph because that's the traffic flow speed. Cars still pass me like flying.

Also this thread is so old I hope you get answers. some people look at the first dat and don't look to see that the lasts posts are about a NEW, different question.

If push came to shove I think I'd hire the lawyer. Peace of mind an all...I wouldn't have to worry about screwing it up myself, or second guessing myself.
Thank you so much! I will shop around today again and decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland