Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
sjg sjg started this thread

12 posts, read 39,795 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
My husband and I are about 80% sure we'll be moving to MD in the next month or so if this job works out for him. He would be working in Timonium.
We currently live in Southern California and have not lived anywhere else.
We're really excited about the move but want to know about the communities.
We don't want to commute more than 30 min, we are looking at spending $1,000 or less on rent... and we're also trying to figure out if we should rent or look into buying a condo or a small home (in which case I know we'd be paying a bit more per month, which should be fine also)
We both love the "small town" feeling and from what I've seen and read it seems like Timonium is pretty safe. We're in our 20's and we're both really artsy and we're vegetarians. So with that said any suggestions on a good community for us? And thanks in advance for taking your time to help us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 06:29 AM

8 posts, read 38,942 times
Default Young Couple Moving to Maryland

I would suggest looking in the Harford County or possibly the White Marsh area. Condos can be very reasonable and the area is definitely safer. I wish you nothing but success and happiness.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
If you're renting, I suggest beginning your search in the Towson/Timonium/Cockeysville area.

There are a lot of artsy vegetarians in Mount Washington in NW Baltimore. There are apartments and condos in that area as well and it wouldn't be a far commute to Timonium. Try searching in zip code 21209. There are several apartment communities, especially on the county side of the zip code. Good luck!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:48 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,526 times
Follow up: there appear to be many reasonably priced condos in the Mount Washington area (21209), especially off of Old Pimlico Road. There is a Whole Foods in Mount Washington, too.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM

315 posts, read 1,300,398 times
Not sure where you think you're moving, but I'm more than 80% sure you're not going to find a place for under $1000, unless you and hubby are willing to live with roomates. Oh and you want an under 30 min commute too?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM

70 posts, read 485,296 times
I'm thinking the Mt. Washington area might be a good fit too. Although its technically in Baltimore city, there are areas that feel kind of small town.

It sounds like you're fairly liberal in nature, so be aware that going north will bring you bring you towards a very republican leaning, more conservative area. The Timonium area is pretty bland/suburban, but nice.

You also might want to check out Hampden -- although its in the city, its artsy bohemian. I guess it depends if you mean "small town" as in looking like Mayberry, or "small town" as in knowing your neighbors, corner bar kind of thing

Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
Do you have any idea on where your husband job will be in Maryland so we can give you an better idea on how much you will spend per month on bills including rent.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:45 PM

Hey Everyone thanks for the input. So still not sure on the move yet, but we're for sure renting when we get there. We found a complex in towson that looks cute, and I'll start looking into the Mt. washington area this week.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Do you have any idea on where your husband job will be in Maryland so we can give you an better idea on how much you will spend per month on bills including rent.
Timonium

Old 01-18-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudder View Post
You also might want to check out Hampden -- although its in the city, its artsy bohemian. I guess it depends if you mean "small town" as in looking like Mayberry, or "small town" as in knowing your neighbors, corner bar kind of thing
I guess knowing your neighbors, well really either is cool. I mean coming from the "Orange County" don't talk to strangers mentality where I don't even know the names of the people in the apartment that shares a wall with me..... this will be a welcome change, and I know it might be hard to find the "know your neighbors" kinda place... but any place that's relatively friendly would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland