Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:59 PM

297 posts, read 1,273,237 times

Advertisements

mom2boys37: Thanks for the heads-up about Oakland! I just checked out their websites and it looks like a really neat little town AND there are tons of state parks in the area for camping! I will have to check it out this summer - Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM

240 posts, read 1,065,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielle View Post
mom2boys37: Thanks for the heads-up about Oakland! I just checked out their websites and it looks like a really neat little town AND there are tons of state parks in the area for camping! I will have to check it out this summer - Thanks again!

Your welcome. Go to Englanders, the fried zucchini rocks

Old 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,029 times
Default Negative opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
Very good point dhelfoioracle. We should stay positive - MD is a beautiful state and has so many great things going for it.

Note: mom2boys37 seems to have some kind of personal vendetta with Frederick. It's really a beautiful town, but it seems we can't have any discussion of Frederick w/out her getting negative. This has happened repeatedly on more than one thread.

I'm sorry if she didn't have a good experience living there, but she should get over it and instead focus on the positives she finds elsewhere.
I don't see what's wrong with letting someone disagree on a subject. You want to say good things about Frederick, she wants to say bad things about it, so what's the harm? Why is your opinion better than hers because yours is more "positive"?

I'm a little sensitive on this subject because I've been run out of the Charlotte forum to daring to mention that Charlotte, ahem, completely sucks (turns out the moderators live in Charlotte, and they don't like to see other opinions either). Makes that forum really, really nasty and boring.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
I don't see what's wrong with letting someone disagree on a subject. You want to say good things about Frederick, she wants to say bad things about it, so what's the harm? Why is your opinion better than hers because yours is more "positive"?

I'm a little sensitive on this subject because I've been run out of the Charlotte forum to daring to mention that Charlotte, ahem, completely sucks (turns out the moderators live in Charlotte, and they don't like to see other opinions either). Makes that forum really, really nasty and boring.
Thank you vanyali. I appreciate it. You see most of the people on here call me negative because I put down two specific places constantly because I have first hand knowledge with both of them. They don't go into the posts about another county I have no knowledge of and blast that. I like to see both sides of the story and I have said it continously...I DON'T SUGAR COAT AREAS!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 06:04 PM

123 posts, read 381,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post

There are things that everyone dislikes. There is truily a difference to stating your opinion with someone and just being rude. It seems to many people encluding myself that if we like something we are wrong for liking it and the topic of this tread is what you like not what you don't like. I can't not understand anyone who is nothing but negitive about everything. Write what you like and leave it at that. But when I see as many others have someone who can not state what they like without a list doubled in size of what they don't like then that's negitive. Also when someone purposily seeks out treads on this forum with the same poeple over and over to argue with them, it does become personnal. I as I stated before I love Maryland all of it and not being foolish I know there are parts of Maryland all of us do not like. However the topic of this tread is WHAT AREAS DO LIKE IN MARYLAND?
My favorite mall is Columbia
I loved going to the state house in Annapolis last week
I love doing community work in Howard County
I love my fellow Marylanders for all our differences even when I don't always agree with them because that's what makes us Marylanders

Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhelfoioracle View Post
There are things that everyone dislikes. There is truily a difference to stating your opinion with someone and just being rude. It seems to many people encluding myself that if we like something we are wrong for liking it and the topic of this tread is what you like not what you don't like. I can't not understand anyone who is nothing but negitive about everything. Write what you like and leave it at that. But when I see as many others have someone who can not state what they like without a list doubled in size of what they don't like then that's negitive. Also when someone purposily seeks out treads on this forum with the same poeple over and over to argue with them, it does become personnal. I as I stated before I love Maryland all of it and not being foolish I know there are parts of Maryland all of us do not like. However the topic of this tread is WHAT AREAS DO LIKE IN MARYLAND?
My favorite mall is Columbia
I loved going to the state house in Annapolis last week
I love doing community work in Howard County
I love my fellow Marylanders for all our differences even when I don't always agree with them because that's what makes us Marylanders
Honestly, if you were speaking of me seeking out a thread you are in, you so need to get over yourself honestly. I only put my two cents in when I see fit. You don't see me, as stated before, putting my two cents in on a place like DC or PG County or even Mont. County, just the two I know about.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:15 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Yeah I think Western Maryland plus Montgomery and PG Counties aren't often considered the "real Maryland". Western Maryland....just read westsideboy's post. Montgomery is filled with transplants from up north so the feel si different and there is nothing uniquely Maryland about it, unlike Annapolis, Baltimore and the places all around the Chesapeake Bay. Montgomery County has basically been destroyed by northerners and illegal aliens so its not the right barometer to judge the state by.

Mt. Airy still seems like a nice town, but that's relative to Rockville and Gaithersburg. Parts of Carroll County are being developed too much too like around Westminster. I expected it to be a small, Norman Rockwell type place but all the business seems to be in strip malls along 97 and 32 its sad what happened there, same with Waldorf which is now very suburban with new stores and malls being built along with housing developments.

Anyone see that movie "Runaway Bride" with Julia ROberts and Richard Gere? It was filmed on the Eastern Shore near Ocean City in some lovely little towns with a Main Street and local businesses. That's the kind of place I hope our state will always be and its tragic that we're losing that with so much development.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Calvert County is also a a beautiful place, plus St. Mary's County too. The rolling countryside, small towns, two-lane highways, etc are just so nice and refreshing. We should be promoting the images of Maryland's rural and not our urban areas. I know a lot of out of state people who went to school in College Park (surrounded by the ghetto of PGC) and have only been to Baltimore and DC and think this is just an impoverished, ghetto, crime-ridden states like our neighbors to the north.

Its really about who we want to be as state. Are we going to to continue being a state of friendly, down-to-earth, good people of small town folks, family farmers and fishermen or are we going to let our image be dominated by gangbangers, trophy wives, snotty teens driving BMWs to school in Potomac or industrial decay?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Yeah I think Western Maryland plus Montgomery and PG Counties aren't often considered the "real Maryland". Western Maryland....just read westsideboy's post. Montgomery is filled with transplants from up north so the feel si different and there is nothing uniquely Maryland about it, unlike Annapolis, Baltimore and the places all around the Chesapeake Bay. Montgomery County has basically been destroyed by northerners and illegal aliens so its not the right barometer to judge the state by.

Mt. Airy still seems like a nice town, but that's relative to Rockville and Gaithersburg. Parts of Carroll County are being developed too much too like around Westminster. I expected it to be a small, Norman Rockwell type place but all the business seems to be in strip malls along 97 and 32 its sad what happened there, same with Waldorf which is now very suburban with new stores and malls being built along with housing developments.

Anyone see that movie "Runaway Bride" with Julia ROberts and Richard Gere? It was filmed on the Eastern Shore near Ocean City in some lovely little towns with a Main Street and local businesses. That's the kind of place I hope our state will always be and its tragic that we're losing that with so much development.
What movie I liked was the one with Sissy Spacek "Violets are Blue" it was filmed in OC and Asseteauge. Beautiful Of course you won't find that anymore down there. Does anyone know if Trimpers is going to close?

Old 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM

123 posts, read 381,213 times
mom2boys37 at this point I'm going to be as polite as possible and ignore you.
terrapin2212 you make very points about some very beauitful places in maryland
thank you for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland