Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,614 times

Advertisements

Okay,

So, in high-school I never had an opportunity to get my license. My mom was a single mom and always working, and my school didn't offer any type of Driver's Ed program.

I'm currently a senior in college, and while ideally I will get one of the jobs I've been applying for NYC, and will have no use for a car. I could wind up not getting one of those jobs and need to find a job in the Baltimore/DC areas. I would kinda need a car for that.

I am just curious what is the process of getting a license when you are at my age, 23?

I know I should have got it taken care of sooner, but I've either been in classes or working the past 4 years, and I don't have time to take Driver's Ed classes.... I'm actually pretty stressed about this right now, as it really limits by future after college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 03:44 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Go to the MVA and get a guidebook and it goes over everything.

Basically you'll need a learners for a bit which will let you drive with someone (above 21) and they'll document time.
That is a 20 or 25 question test at the MVA.

You'll need a drivers ed course with a few hours driving time with the instructor so you'll want your learners before signing up for drivers ed as you'll need that to actually drive.

Then when you have the hours required and the certificate stating you passed drivers ed and have the time with an instructor you can make an appointment for a drivers test in which you actually drive your car around a course.

Then you'll get your provisional which may limit some hours you can drive.

After a period without any tickets then you can change for a regular unrestricted license.

All the info is in the guidebook and the MVA has a practice study test on line that changes a few of the questions each time you take it so the more you take the practice test the more of a chance you'll remember the actual questions/answers.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:42 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,709 times
One other thing to note: There is a 9 month period you must hold your license before you take your test. So, the sooner you get your permit the sooner you can take the road test.

Also, make sure you schedule your test a few months before you take it. The Glen Burnie MVA was so booked when I took my test about two and a half years ago I couldn't get a road test scheduled for two months.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Here's a link Maryland Teen Drivers Guide - Getting your license, driving schools, requirements, & more at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
(the page says "teen" drivers but it applies to anyone under 25). This link has everything you'll need to know, but pay special attention to the documentation requirements.

Since you're under 25, you'll still have to take driver's ed.

Arianator is right about scheduling your driver test at DMV. Schedule it as soon as you can as there can a wait. If you're able to, look at several DMVs as wait times vary widely. We've had good luck at the Easton DMV.
_____

Old 03-10-2015, 09:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,689,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

_____
So does everyone, including new drivers over 25 - just fyi for the OP in case they'd consider waiting until turning 25.

Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
So does everyone, including new drivers over 25 - just fyi for the OP in case they'd consider waiting until turning 25.
Thanks for the correction, bufflove.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Here's a link Maryland Teen Drivers Guide - Getting your license, driving schools, requirements, & more at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
(the page says "teen" drivers but it applies to anyone under 25). This link has everything you'll need to know, but pay special attention to the documentation requirements.

Arianator is right about scheduling your driver test at DMV. Schedule it as soon as you can as there can a wait. If you're able to, look at several DMVs as wait times vary widely. We've had good luck at the Easton DMV.
_____
I guess I will have to wait till I turn 25 then. I don't have time to do the classes with going to school full-time and working... Hopefully I get a job in a city where I can easily commute then...

Thanks for your reply everyone.

Edit:

Just saw the post above, ah well I guess I'm basically out of luck then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland