Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM

33 posts, read 148,922 times

Advertisements

HI,
My husband has an opportunity to relocate to Ft. Meade, MD. Before he decides to take the job, we would like to know more about the schools and services for autism. We have a 4 1/2 year old son with autism and a 2 year old daughter (not autistic). We would like to know how the school services are for special ed. Also we would be looking for a school with a good reputation for both special ed. and regular ed. Also is ABA therapy easy to receive? Where we are now, there is only 5 ABA therapists in the state!
How expensive is the housing? We would be looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom house in a good neighborhood. We are use to prices around 300 to 400K. Will we be able to find a house in this price range? My husband is use to an hour commute one way, so he is willing to live up to an hour's drive away.
Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:43 PM

195 posts, read 745,337 times
Howard County area is only about 20 min from Ft. Meade and they have a Special Education school Cedar Lane School - Home Page (http://www2.hcpss.org/cedarlane/ - broken link) there is the info if you would like to contact them.

You can find housing in Howard County for between 300K-400K

Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 71,160 times
Default I'm at Meade too!

We just listed in Crofton, MD. Top 72 out of 100 places to live in the U.S. Crofton schools are excellent. I believe we have a child with autism on our street, not sure about the schools supporting your needs. I do know they are top rated. Crofton Woods (Middle), Crofton Elementary are our two schools. Contact me directly for further info. I also work at Ft Meade, the commute is 20 minutes. Check out a map, driving east to Ft Meade (Howard County) you will have to cross the interchanges of major north/south roads of I-95 and 295 which in this area get busy at rush hour. I drive west through Anne Arundel County and have no problems.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:11 AM

382 posts, read 1,206,033 times
Information on special education programs in the Howard County schools can be found here: Howard County Public School System . There's a section on autism with community resources. Maybe there are contacts there who could guide you.

Here are a few articles from the Howard County Autism Society- that talk about children with autism in the local public schools:

County To Launch New Preschool Program in January :: Howard County Autism Society :: Improving the Lives of All Affected by Autism

Learning Together: "Inclusion" Brings Out the Best in Autistic Children :: Howard County Autism Society :: Improving the Lives of All Affected by Autism
Schools Launch New Early Intervention Program :: Howard County Autism Society :: Improving the Lives of All Affected by Autism
Ratio of autistic students takes dramatic upturn :: Howard County Autism Society :: Improving the Lives of All Affected by Autism

$300 to $400K in Howard will get you a townhome. Probably not a single family .

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM

33 posts, read 148,922 times
Default Autism, Schools, Houses, Ft. Meade area

Thanks to everyone for the info. Sounds like MD can provide better services for my son than what we get now. Now I will wait on my husband to decide about the job. but I am ready to move,
thanks,
Michele

Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 7,732 times
Default Anne Arundel County autism program

I stumbled across your post when googling "Ft. Meade homes" because I was trying to list mine at the base. I have a friend, Alison, who lives in Crofton (and loves the area). She has a 5 1/2 year old daughter with autism and the county sends her daughter to Millersville Elementary School. It is about 10 minutes away, but the county has a wonderful program set up there for special needs children. Even though it isn't the school that her neighborhood is supposed to go to, she is provided with bus transportation to Millersville E.

Millersville Elementary School is the school my kids would go to if we weren't moving, so that is how I have heard so much about it. I think if you live anywhere near it in AA county, your son will be able to go there. Alison absolutely loves the program. I think that the county also offered free home therapy before her daughter was in school.

Moderator cut: Please do not solicit and use DM feature to contact other members.

I also teach in Howard County and I know they have a strong program for autistic children, as well. There is a life skills class in the middle school at which I teach. I think they are offered at certain schools in the county.

Good luck! We love this area!

Last edited by 7th generation; 03-07-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland