Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 PM

74 posts, read 113,926 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are considering a move to Annapolis (we currently live in Bowie and HATE IT.). We saw an adorable townhouse for sale on Clay Street, but I was reading forums and the crime reports and it seems like this area is dangerous..We really want to live in downtown Annapolis so that we can walk places and enjoy the town.. But the main issue is that we haven't found that much in our price range.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with the Clay Street area of Annapolis??? (Not just what you've read, but do you either LIVE near there, or on that actual street?) I know that neighborhood safety can be subjective, and I have seen some actually dangerous neighborhoods, like inner city Baltimore, Detroit, etc. We used to live in downtown Silver Spring and I saw my handful of strange incidents and arrests there. We also lived near the Johns Hopkins campus in Baltimore for a while... And we live next to the Bowie Town Center now (supposedly a "high crime" shopping center)..Not to mention, I've seen neighborhoods in Brooklyn where you wouldn't even want to walk around in during the day.. Considering all of this, how bad is the Clay street neighborhood, really? For example, would I be able to walk home from my car after dark (I'm a White female in my 30's) without worrying about being followed/harassed/assaulted/robbed? Would we have to worry about things like our cars being broken into, getting burglarized, etc.?? I can deal with some level of crime in a neighborhood. My main concern would be someone following me and assaulting/raping me, or hurting me in some way.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Have you googled "clay street Annapolis"? Just wondering... I read an article by the Capital Gazette that seemed pretty thorough. What was the vibe you got? It is supposed to be a nice weekend, so go by in the middle of the day and take a walk. I don't know that area specifically, hope someone else can chime in.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Clay Street is a low-income, primarily black neighborhood. The transition from Historic Downtown to unkempt residential area is abrupt, and I would imagine that it would be rather startling to someone not expecting it. Personally, I don't think it would be a good fit for you.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:49 AM

123 posts, read 203,464 times
STOP!!! Based upon years of walking in & around the Clay Street area you do NOT want to walk, live, rent or buy there IF you value your safety.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Bus Man and Pylesford,
Thank you for your input. Can you tell me a bit more though? I'm aware that it's a low-income primarily black neighborhood... what crime have you witnessed there? Is it all perception, or is the whole street actually really dangerous? The woman who lived in the townhouse for 10 years is a 60 year old Caucasian woman and she told us that she felt safe there and "never" used her alarm system.. She also knew all the neighbors on the street and said some of them had lived there for 50+ years.. was she lying to us?

I'm just trying to understand what types of crime specifically are known in that area.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Clay Street and surrounding areas:
drugs
prostitution
robberies
break ins, both car and dwelling
assaults

Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutea View Post
Bus Man and Pylesford,
Thank you for your input. Can you tell me a bit more though? I'm aware that it's a low-income primarily black neighborhood... what crime have you witnessed there? Is it all perception, or is the whole street actually really dangerous? The woman who lived in the townhouse for 10 years is a 60 year old Caucasian woman and she told us that she felt safe there and "never" used her alarm system.. She also knew all the neighbors on the street and said some of them had lived there for 50+ years.. was she lying to us?

I'm just trying to understand what types of crime specifically are known in that area.
The only specific "crimes" I have witnessed on Clay Street are loitering and littering. But one can tell a lot about an area just by looking at it. For example, well-kept houses and clean streets indicate pride of ownership and a desire to improve one's community, whereas unkempt houses and litter in the streets indicate the opposite. From what I've seen, Clay Street does not strike me as an especially safe place to spend a lot of time. I guess you can say that it's my perception, as I've never lived there and thus cannot back up my apprehensions with solid facts.

You did not mention a 60 year old Caucasian woman in your previous post. Is she the owner of the townhouse you are considering buying? If so, I would take her remarks with a grain of salt. She might be telling you the honest truth, or she might be desperate to get out and thus will tell you anything to close the deal. Or, if she is not the owner but is someone else who lives nearby . . . she might love her neighbors and be happy living among them, or she might feel isolated and is eager for more white people to move in around her. You just don't know.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:05 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
I don't know about Clay Street, but despite the $1M yachts and Naval Academy, Annapolis definitely has a sketchy side.

Annapolis is also very touristy. Sometimes I do not know which is worse: drug dealers and prostitutes hanging out; or tourists. (yes, I am being serious. Tourists tend to be extremely annoying in general. Drug dealers and prostitutes will leave you alone unless you give them a reason not to).

Old 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM

Thanks, BusMan. The "60 year old Caucasian woman" was the owner of the unit for 10 years... Yeah, it was hard to say if she was just eager to sell the place, or if she was telling the truth. We ended up letting it go, because she was asking WAY too much for it ($310,000) and we actually went to Clay Street at 9:30 pm on a Friday night and walked around.. It didn't feel safe to me. Too many housing projects with loitering folks and there was a creepy guy sitting in a parked car watching us walk around.. Not great.

The biggest problem for us is that we have a low budget, and Annapolis is insanely expensive. We saw another house on Parole Street that we are going to look at this week... does anyone know about that area? I looked on Spotcrime and Neighborhood Scout and nothing abnormal came up... I guess like you all said, the best way to find out is to spend some time in the neighborhoods and get a "feel" for them.. As I mentioned in my original post, I'm a pretty seasoned gal and I have lived in many areas that others would consider "sketchy".... We live right next to the Bowie Town Center now, and people always gasp and say, "ooh, you live in PG County!" But of course, it's a boring suburb and we haven't seen anything dangerous or unusual here in 2 years.. so, it's all a matter of perspective. Or, maybe we are just lucky>??

Old 05-18-2015, 07:42 AM

K-Luv: Agreed! Annapolis, at least downtown is definitely touristy.. It does get annoying, especially in the summer, and trying to find parking down there. We would love to live downtown, but of course, the houses are very expensive.. Even a condo we saw near the State circle was $350,000 and that wasn't including the $520 monthly HOA fees...

It doesn't seem that there are a lot of mid-range housing options in Annapolis. It's either: you are wealthy and can afford to buy a nice-sized house near downtown, OR.. you have to live in an iffy neighborhood. We don't want to live in Arnold or Cape Saint Claire, or Odenton areas, because they are too suburban and far from my work... We've tried Edgewater, but the neighborhoods we've looked at there seemed a bit trashy- lawns with old cars strewn all over, old bathtubs, beat up cars, run-down houses.. Maybe we weren't looking in the right areas, I don't know. Edgewater also seems kind of boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland