Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 05:06 PM

373 posts, read 482,603 times

Advertisements

It's like NYC pain without the NYC benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 07:55 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Too many people commute too far via an inefficient mode of transportation. Do I win a prize for answering correctly?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Too many people commute too far via an inefficient mode of transportation. Do I win a prize for answering correctly?
That's exactly what the problem is.

I live in Glen Burnie, and one of my neighbors who lives across the street commutes to DC. One of my coworkers has a second job, and he commutes from his home in Arbutus to his job in Bethesda. The roads just aren't built to handle so much traffic. Any widening would likely come in the form of "HOT lanes" sort of like those on 495 and 95 in Virginia. Although these have their own traffic nightmares; There are plenty of stories of how, where the 95 express lanes (recently converted from HOV lanes) end, traffic hopelessly backs up.

There's a ton of jobs in Washington, and housing in Montgomery county and NoVa is insanely expensive. Many also don't like PG county due to the crime and bad schools. The only other option is to move farther out into Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's, Frederick, and even as far as Washington county.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Half of Maryland doesn't suffer from traffic issues. Obviously that geographically-speaking, not population-speaking.

From an engineer standpoint, it has a lot to do with a lack of arterial roads, public transportation and sprawl development. And I don't necessarily mean residential sprawl, commercial sprawl is probably a bigger factor in this state anyways. In addition, Maryland, particularly the I-95 corridor, is a geographic choke-point for inter-regional and freight traffic. A turnpike-style road, with minimal access points (like 3, e.g. 495,32,695, across the state), would probably go a long way in this state.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:48 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
That's exactly what the problem is.

I live in Glen Burnie, and one of my neighbors who lives across the street commutes to DC. One of my coworkers has a second job, and he commutes from his home in Arbutus to his job in Bethesda. The roads just aren't built to handle so much traffic. Any widening would likely come in the form of "HOT lanes" sort of like those on 495 and 95 in Virginia. Although these have their own traffic nightmares; There are plenty of stories of how, where the 95 express lanes (recently converted from HOV lanes) end, traffic hopelessly backs up.

There's a ton of jobs in Washington, and housing in Montgomery county and NoVa is insanely expensive. Many also don't like PG county due to the crime and bad schools. The only other option is to move farther out into Calvert, Charles, St. Mary's, Frederick, and even as far as Washington county.
Building more roads or lanes does not necessarily reduce traffic issues, in fact they can make it worse. Inefficient design, and people traveling more vehicle miles for tasks increases traffic. Basically, too much sprawl.

An arterial road though pushing away interstate travel away from DC and Baltimore though would help a great deal for the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland