Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:50 AM

33 posts, read 46,890 times

Advertisements

Are Marylanders really satisfied with the wear and carry law?
Have you read the list of people who are "allowed" to carry a gun?

Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:
1. Has not been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor for which a sentence of imprisonment for more than one year has been imposed; or convicted of a criminal offense for which you could have been sentenced to more than 2 years incarceration.
2. Has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;
3. Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless under legitimate medical direction;
4. Based on an investigation, has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or others;
5. Has a good and substantial reason (see below) to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.
6. As of October 1, 2013, has successfully completed the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course within 2 year prior to submitting the original or renewal application.
What constitutes a good and substantial reason? Based on the guidance provided by the Maryland Public Safety Code, handgun permits may be issued to applicants based on the following circumstances:
A. Owner or employee of a business. You must submit photocopies of the Trader's, Business or Narcotics License or Articles of Incorporation to support Business ownership or as an authorized employee. You must also submit photocopies of six random deposit slips or deposits within a year for the business or a letter from the bank attesting that you have a business account. If you are an employee, you must submit a letter from your employer on the business letter head, verifying your employment and detailing the requirement or desire from the owner that you be armed.
B. Correctional Officers. Must submit verification of employment and documentation of threats and/or assaults (ie., police reports, facility incident reports, and intelligence reports).
C. Former Police Officers. If you have resigned or have retired, you must provide a photocopy of your retired I.D. card (front and back) and produce a letter from your former agency advising that you resigned/retired in good standing, your official resignation/retirement date and how many years of service. NOTE: Permits are issued based on the "immediacy" of the application and years of service.
D. Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police/Armored Car Guards. All applicants (unless exempt from training) who are employed as Private Detectives, Security Guards, Special Police Officers and Armored Car Guards must submit firearms qualification score sheet obtained from a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor on the State Police form. A letter from the employing agency which verifies employment and position, the ownership of the weapon, and location where the weapon will be stored when off duty is also required. Click here for a sample letter
E. Personal Protection. There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

The short version (an easy if-than statement):
If you are a completely average law abiding Marylander than you are not capable of obtaining a permit.

The Bill of Rights says:
“…the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed…”
The definition of “infringe”
To act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.
Synonyms: restrict, limit, curb, check, encroach on

What do you think about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,081,417 times
"Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:"

This word MAY means that the MSP gets to decide if they want to issue you a permit when you apply. A couple years back theer was an attempt to have it changed to SHALL.

It failed. So just because you meet the criteria listed does not mean you will get a permit. You need to prove (to the MSPs satisfaction) that you have a NEED to carry, not that you WANT to carry.

So the answer is yes, Marylanders are satisfied with the current carry laws or trhey would have been changed

Last edited by MidValleyDad; 05-19-2015 at 10:37 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

6,994 posts, read 11,288,353 times
I would guess that most rural Marylanders are not happy with the existing gun laws. But in a state that is mostly urban/suburban in land use and mentality, we are in the minority.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,081,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I would guess that most rural Marylanders are not happy with the existing gun laws. But in a state that is mostly urban/suburban in land use and mentality, we are in the minority.
Agreed

Old 05-19-2015, 11:54 AM

16,263 posts, read 10,388,882 times
I am not a gun owner but I have a number of friends who are and they seem to have little problem getting a permit. None of them NEED the gun, they use them to take to the range or fire in their fields, hunting and home protection.

But yes carrying a concealed gun will have an entirely different set of requirements. And sorry, I'm OK with that. And so are most people in this region This isn't the wild west. Or Georgia. We don't like concealed guns, that does not mean we aren't fine if you want one for home protection or to take to the range.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:02 PM

6,994 posts, read 11,288,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am not a gun owner but I have a number of friends who are and they seem to have little problem getting a permit. None of them NEED the gun, they use them to take to the range or fire in their fields, hunting and home protection.

What's the problem again? Are you claiming the average Maryland residents without a criminal background or other red flags are having real issues obtaining a gun permit?

Please show your work. Show me figures where MD residents who should be able to obtain a gun permit are being denied on a regular basis.
I think the issue being discussed is open carry/concealed carry permits in MD, which are nearly impossible to get.

Just talking about the background check needed to purchase a handgun, yes, the state does approve these for the average Joe.....you just have to wait awhile sometimes.

Last edited by westsideboy; 05-19-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,682,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinmtairy View Post
i am not a gun owner but i have a number of friends who are and they seem to have little problem getting a permit. None of them need the gun, they use them to take to the range or fire in their fields, hunting and home protection.

But yes carrying a concealed gun will have an entirely different set of requirements. And sorry, i'm ok with that. And so are most people in this region this isn't the wild west. Or georgia. We don't like concealed guns, that does not mean we aren't fine if you want one for home protection or to take to the range.
+1. Well said.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:44 AM

33 posts, read 46,890 times
Interesting input everyone.

I'll throw this in to the talk...

Senator Wayne Norman, District 35 said during an interview...
"Most of the people that have hand gun permits have it because they carry cash, yet you can’t get a handgun permit because you feel like you’re in need or your family is in danger. And to me, the fact that money is more important than family is ludicrous,”

Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I think the issue being discussed is open carry/concealed carry permits in MD, which are nearly impossible to get.

Just talking about the background check needed to purchase a handgun, yes, the state does approve these for the average Joe.....you just have to wait awhile sometimes.

Yes after reading the opening post again I went back and edited my comment, sorry about that.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Vet. View Post
Interesting input everyone.

I'll throw this in to the talk...

Senator Wayne Norman, District 35 said during an interview...
"Most of the people that have hand gun permits have it because they carry cash, yet you can’t get a handgun permit because you feel like you’re in need or your family is in danger. And to me, the fact that money is more important than family is ludicrous,”
I thought the issue here was a permit to own a handgun vs a permit to walk around with a concealed handgun. They are 2 totally different things and the laws should reflect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland