Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If your main risk is walking home from the Metro, then chose whichever place is closer. Otherwise check the street address with a crime site like Spotcrime or check the county police reports. If there were any muggings in the parking lot, that's a red flag.
Thanks for the advice. Will make sure to check this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Do you own a car? Be sure and take parking costs into consideration, if you haven't. Summit Hills is free, I'm guessing, based on the massive parking lots it has surrounding the buildings. Cole Spring Plaza won't be free, I'm guessing, based on it being a traditional highrise.

I've toured Summit Hills (many moons ago) and ended up deciding against it just because I found it too sprawly and detached from downtown Silver Spring. Cole Spring is the better location, IMO, but be aware that the parking garage across the street will be demoed for a new office building soon, so there will be some construction noise over the next year or more, at least if your unit faces towards Spring St.

I'd personally recommend Silver Spring Towers, if you haven't considered that building yet.
Thanks a lot for this information! Indeed, after I called today I was told parking is $115, which makes the apartment less attractive. I checked Silver Spring Towers and it seems to be a good option. Will have to call tomorrow and see if any apartments are available. As it seems you are very familiar with the area, how safe is it around these apartments? I would also appreciate it if you had any feedback on whether to choose Silver Spring or Gaithersburg. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 12:33 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inter4ever View Post
Thanks for the advice. Will make sure to check this site.

Thanks a lot for this information! Indeed, after I called today I was told parking is $115, which makes the apartment less attractive. I checked Silver Spring Towers and it seems to be a good option. Will have to call tomorrow and see if any apartments are available. As it seems you are very familiar with the area, how safe is it around these apartments? I would also appreciate it if you had any feedback on whether to choose Silver Spring or Gaithersburg. Thanks!
Downtown Silver Spring is going to have enough "eyes on the street" that it's safe. There's not really a concern about being a random victim of a violent crime (very rare), but you should take common sense measures to avoid property crimes (rare, but within the realm of possibility), e.g. locking the deadbolt on your apartment door, not leaving valuables visible in your car, etc. This is just common sense for any densely populated area and will apply to Silver Spring, Gaithersburg, Bethesda, etc. If you've never lived in a dense area and this advice sounds new, I'd recommend searching for more "street smart" tips on google. Not that you need to live in fear - certainly not in Montgomery County where crime is quite low - but it's a good idea nonetheless to familiarize yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland