Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 AM

127 posts, read 433,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myselfdotcom View Post
tell me..how's your living lifestyle? i am not rich either but i can live comfortably with 3 people including me in my household
Well, there's me, my husband and our 3 kids, we're renting a nice house for almost $2,000/mth, pay about $450/month for bge and then all our other bills, we struggle every month, things are getting more expensive by the day. We're not poor by any means but we do struggle at times because it's just too expensive to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 12:04 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Wow. . .what do you have your thermostat set at? I have a 830 sq ft 1 BR apt and we have thermostat at 67 when we're in and 63 when not. Our monthly Pepco bill is only about $45-$50 in the winter. Our Washington Gas is about $65 in winter.
Our apartment is approx 1200 SQ. During the day (when no one's home) we leave the thermostat at 65. When we're there, it's at 70. One month, I said screw it and kept it at 80 when I was home....the bill was not that much different from my "scrimping" months.

As I said, I think there's a problem with my meter or the furnace. My summer bills are usually around $100-150. Also, I'm all electric...no gas.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:12 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_dreamin' View Post
Well, there's me, my husband and our 3 kids, we're renting a nice house for almost $2,000/mth, pay about $450/month for bge and then all our other bills, we struggle every month, things are getting more expensive by the day. We're not poor by any means but we do struggle at times because it's just too expensive to live here.
I hear ya, we are feeling the crunch. We live on a police officers salary, I have one child and live in a duplex. Everytime he gets a pay raise, health insurance goes up, property tax goes up, BGE goes up and now our sales tax has gone up. O Malley is now working on that huge tax hike on gas...I saw a bumper sticker on a car once, and I would love to find it it states "pay a police officer like your life depends on it" LOL!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 PM

45 posts, read 233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys37 View Post
Everyone I know has Washington Gas that uses a gas utility. You should see how much my brother pays in gas in Garrett County where you have no choice but one contractor which is Columbia Gas. Most of the people up there have gas heat and trust me you need it on because it gets really cold up there
I talked to someone finally. They said to call an electrician because I may have an electrical leak, she said 3000 kilowatts a month sounds way too high and that I may have a fire hazard and why didnt I have one check out the place when I bought it? I thought that what the home inspection dude did. BG&E will be here on Fri to check out the meter we will see what he says. I am going to install a woodburner in here this summer. I know people up north in Pa that use them and they work nicely, burns wood or pellets. I am afraid for the summer they will hike up the kw price some more. I am getting a hot flash just thinking about it and its 71 degrees in here with no heat on. I guess I will have to kidnap a BG&E guy and hold him for ransom to pay the AC bill <JUST KIDDING> what I will do is take that check they will send everyone and just sign it over to BG&E like I am the "middleman" I wont even cash it, maybe I will write something mean on it about OMalley!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM

240 posts, read 1,065,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswoogie View Post
I talked to someone finally. They said to call an electrician because I may have an electrical leak, she said 3000 kilowatts a month sounds way too high and that I may have a fire hazard and why didnt I have one check out the place when I bought it? I thought that what the home inspection dude did. BG&E will be here on Fri to check out the meter we will see what he says. I am going to install a woodburner in here this summer. I know people up north in Pa that use them and they work nicely, burns wood or pellets. I am afraid for the summer they will hike up the kw price some more. I am getting a hot flash just thinking about it and its 71 degrees in here with no heat on. I guess I will have to kidnap a BG&E guy and hold him for ransom to pay the AC bill <JUST KIDDING> what I will do is take that check they will send everyone and just sign it over to BG&E like I am the "middleman" I wont even cash it, maybe I will write something mean on it about OMalley!
Call the attorney general next if nothing comes out then. You know we lived in a townhouse w/ central air and we spent more in electric than we did w/ window shakers. Ugh, I feel for ya.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 53,753 times
I would, like I said before, call the public service commission and see what they say.

"THEY" are not gonna do or say any thing.......Remember MOM put them in position to straighten out this BGE mess that Ehrlich created when in fact it was Miller, Busch et,al ...........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! you all voted for him now you have him.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,157 times
I want to rehab a home which need a complete renovation. The house is 1340sq ft and it needs a new flooring, 500sq ft to be hardwood floors, it needs new drywalls all over the house and new ceilings. The house is a rambler, it has four bedrooms, 3 full baths, kitchen, dining and living room combination. It needs new 3 new bathrooms and a new kitchen as well. I want ceramic flooring in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, and granite counter tops, stainless steel appliance and nice cabinets in the kitchen. It might need a new heating and cooling system. I think it will also need electric and plumbing repairs.I would like to get a idea of rough estimate of how much it will cost materials plus labor. All the demolition and removal of the old drywall and floor will be done, so i don't want that price to be part of the estimate. I have no clue, this will be my first project. I really need help so i don't get ripped off. The property is in Maryland. Thanks

Old 05-28-2012, 10:59 PM

219 posts, read 439,511 times
When I moved from York Pa back to Md, my electric bill doubled, with the same EXACT usage.

Maryland is in the top 5 for cost of living. I don't see that changing any time soon. The only part of the economy that is growing is government. DC and the surrounding area is where all the wealth is concentrated (and hence jobs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland