Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:15 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,398 times

Advertisements

Don't think there's any one single reason, but several.
Fashionistas (plus aspirational rednecks) in Bethesda, seek to basque in the reflected glow of all that power.
Railroad Robber Barons from Cumberland and other far flung places seek to flex their muscle.
Eastern Shore Chickensh1tters seek to demonstrate their mission critical role in the food chain.

That's probably enough stereotyping for one post.

Me, when I got here 25 years ago from Europe, I just assumed it was embarrassment with geography.
In my US history class I learned that the states below the Mason Dixon line were Confederate slave-holding, tobacco and cotton farming luddites. I now know that's not 100% accurate but many others neither know nor care.

Just harder for non locals to pinpoint DC as above or below the MDL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 01:51 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Don't think there's any one single reason, but several.
Fashionistas (plus aspirational rednecks) in Bethesda, seek to basque in the reflected glow of all that power.
Railroad Robber Barons from Cumberland and other far flung places seek to flex their muscle.
Eastern Shore Chickensh1tters seek to demonstrate their mission critical role in the food chain.

That's probably enough stereotyping for one post.

Me, when I got here 25 years ago from Europe, I just assumed it was embarrassment with geography.
In my US history class I learned that the states below the Mason Dixon line were Confederate slave-holding, tobacco and cotton farming luddites. I now know that's not 100% accurate but many others neither know nor care.

Just harder for non locals to pinpoint DC as above or below the MDL.
You aren't going to find many people in Cumberland who would say "I am from D.C." or any other major city for that matter. You are more likely to hear locals fail to differentiate between D.C. and Baltimore when referring to those areas. We normally just call it all "downstate" unless there is a need to be more specific.

Of course my personal favorite example of this was an ex-coworker who in reply to where a person was from said, "The Baltimore/Washington/Hagerstown area."

Old 07-15-2015, 04:10 PM

66 posts, read 126,064 times
Probably because the DC area MD suburbs are such a conglomeration that you really have to be familiar with the area to tell them apart. It's easier to say "the DC area" than it to explain Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville, Laurel, etc., and it would be somewhat strange to call those places Baltimore. Sometimes people say "Montgomery County" or "PG County" instead of DC.

It's similar to people on the other side of the river saying they're from Northern Virginia or the DC Suburbs instead of specifying Reston, McLean, Herndon, etc.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,516 times
When traveling, I'm amazed how many people don't even know that Maryland borders DC and just think of it as being somewhere on the east coast. I'm from HoCo and tell people that I'm from the Baltimore area. It's easier.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,908 times
Why would you not say DC? If I were in LA, why would I say I'm from Silver Spring, the other person would be like "oh, I've never heard of that" then I'd have to say "it's just outside Washington DC". Why would I want to constantly have to add superfluous explanations? Everyone from a suburb of a major well known city says they are from that major city, that's true all over the world.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
When traveling, I'm amazed how many people don't even know that Maryland borders DC and just think of it as being somewhere on the east coast. I'm from HoCo and tell people that I'm from the Baltimore area. It's easier.
That's what I do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Of course my personal favorite example of this was an ex-coworker who in reply to where a person was from said, "The Baltimore/Washington/Hagerstown area."
a.k.a. "Maryland."

Old 07-17-2015, 07:34 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
They are nice towns.........they also aren't in Western Maryland.

What did your friend say? I am also interested to hear if people from Washington and Frederick Counties self-ID with the Western Maryland label.
To me, Western Maryland starts when you crest Sideling Hill on I-68. I consider Hancock to be the "gateway," but not exactly part of it.

I also consider Central Maryland to end just past Frederick. So what does that make Hagerstown? It's not central, but it's not really western either.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
To me, Western Maryland starts when you crest Sideling Hill on I-68. I consider Hancock to be the "gateway," but not exactly part of it.

I also consider Central Maryland to end just past Frederick. So what does that make Hagerstown? It's not central, but it's not really western either.
I would say Washington, Frederick, Carroll, Harford and the remaining rural/exurban parts of Baltimore County rerpresent a "Mid-Maryland" region. They all border the "Dutchy" part of PA, have very productive farm land, and have always had ease of access through broad valleys and rivers to the large cities, be it to ship wheat, or commute to a high paying job.

These days, all these counties have significant commuter populations, increasing populations and wealth that unite them as the outer part of the greater D.C./Baltimore metro area.

I also accept that Hagerstown is a bit transitional between Western Maryland and downstate MD. The town itself has a history very similar to Cumberland........but at the same time the architecture is dominated by that classic Mid-Atlantic row house style you find in Frederick, Chambersburg, Shepherdstown, and smaller cross road towns like Libertytown, Mt. Pleasant, Littlestown, Boonesboro etc. Towns in Garrett and Allegany county have a much more SW PA look with single family houses and duplexes on small lots dotting hillsides.

If you look at the even bigger picture, Washington County is probably more like the Great Valley of PA, or the Shenandoah Valley of VA, more than any other part of Maryland, save perhaps Frederick County.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-17-2015 at 09:09 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 02:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,398 times
Quote:
You aren't going to find many people in Cumberland who would say "I am from D.C." or any other major city for that matter. You are more likely to hear locals fail to differentiate between D.C. and Baltimore when referring to those areas. We normally just call it all "downstate" unless there is a need to be more specific.

I'd be careful with that kind of logic. The downstaters might stop referring to you as westerners and start calling you upstaters, then you could be in real trouble.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I'd be careful with that kind of logic. The downstaters might stop referring to you as westerners and start calling you upstaters, then you could be in real trouble.
Funny how there is no "upstate" isn't it?

Then again, I strongly suspect most people who live "downstate" don't know there is a part of Maryland that labels them as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland